DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion All about Off-Road in here! From prep to execution! Let us know how you roll Off Road in your Dodge Ram Truck!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-16-2013, 12:03 AM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram CC 4X4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1787
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrigg View Post
So would it be fine if i ran 20" wheels with 35" tires right now with the 3.55 gears and still be able to go 4x4? right now i have the leveling kit on with 17"wheels with 265/70R17 stock tires and wheels, and i want to get 20" wheels and 35" tires for now until i get all the parts and gears..????
You'll be Ok. Your mpg would take a hit though. But that's to be expected.
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Sponsored links
Old 02-16-2013, 01:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 R/T, 2000 Ram Off Road
Trim Level: R/T / Larmie
Color: Black
Rep:73
frickenbored will become famous soon enough

This is why I'm glad my off road toy is a '88 k5...I went from 2.73 gears, to 3.73, gears, to 4.10, gears, to 4.56 gears all with just the turn of a couple bolts. I can go all the way up to 5.11 before I have to start thinking about changing carriers and all this nonsense...welded ring gears...pshht, screw all that noise lol.

When it comes to off roading trucks, the older the better. You can do so much more for so much less money. A buddy of mine with a 2007 ram 1500 bought a 6" suspension lift and 3" body lift, he paid over $5000 when it was all said and done. Same type of lift for my k5...around $1200. I have a feeling that kind of money is gonna go towards a supercharger for my r/t though

Old 02-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 hemi
Trim Level: sxt
Color: metalic silver
Rep:10
bigrigg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastNugly View Post
You'll be Ok. Your mpg would take a hit though. But that's to be expected.
What about the speedo? would i be able to get the dealer to reset the speedo for the larger wheels and tires? Or is there an other way that i could do it?
Old 02-17-2013, 07:57 PM
Bully's Performance

fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
What about the speedo? would i be able to get the dealer to reset the speedo for the larger wheels and tires? Or is there an other way that i could do it?
I think they can only go up to 33" tires. You will need either a Hypertech speedo calibrator or a tuner to get this done.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:46 PM

Vehicle: 2010 2500
Trim Level: slt
Color: white
Rep:108
ridgerunnerseoinc will become famous soon enoughridgerunnerseoinc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by frickenbored View Post
This is why I'm glad my off road toy is a '88 k5...I went from 2.73 gears, to 3.73, gears, to 4.10, gears, to 4.56 gears all with just the turn of a couple bolts. I can go all the way up to 5.11 before I have to start thinking about changing carriers and all this nonsense...welded ring gears...pshht, screw all that noise lol.

When it comes to off roading trucks, the older the better. You can do so much more for so much less money. A buddy of mine with a 2007 ram 1500 bought a 6" suspension lift and 3" body lift, he paid over $5000 when it was all said and done. Same type of lift for my k5...around $1200. I have a feeling that kind of money is gonna go towards a supercharger for my r/t though
Man U gotta post up some pics of that K5! Nice to see how U change gearing that way, needs some pics of that if U would too please.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:50 PM

Vehicle: 2010 2500
Trim Level: slt
Color: white
Rep:108
ridgerunnerseoinc will become famous soon enoughridgerunnerseoinc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Kay so i was doing the oil change on my truck and i was gonna check the rear diff fluid, because this past winter i was hitting up the loging roads and my hunting grounds. And to my luck i noticed that my rear end didn't look the same. it didnt have the rubber plug on the diff cover! but had an allan key on bolt on the side. So i called up the dealer to see what rear end i had on it and turns out its a 235 comander rear end with 3.55 gears!!! I almost lost it on the guy!!!! 3.55 gears on a 4x4!!!! what dumbass designed this!!!! i have bin trying to find out more info on this rear end and cant really find anything!!! and i need help to find 4.10 gears for front and rear and im having troubles!!! can any one shine some light on this for me?
Without some sort of limited slip or selectable lockers U really don't have a true 4X4 anyway. As long as U are tearing into the axles changing gearing look into having lockers of some sort put in. You will thank me later!
Old 03-27-2013, 01:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 hemi
Trim Level: sxt
Color: metalic silver
Rep:10
bigrigg is on a distinguished road

okay so since i have a closed front axle where i cant change the gears, how big of an affect is it gonna cause when i put 4.10 gears in the rear plus a locker? Would it be fine? cuz i feel like its gonna cause a hell of alot of problems!!

Last edited by bigrigg; 03-27-2013 at 01:21 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

your front & rear have to be the same ratio

I would be looking for a donor Ram that has been rolled or wrecked
switch out the whole axle assemblies & sell yours to get some $$$$ back
call the largest auto dismantling yard in your area, like they have a Hot Line with other dismantling yards
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 03-27-2013, 01:45 PM
Stickers add Horsepower

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2778
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Not trying to steal the thread but I do have a similar question in a way.. For the 08 with LSD and 3.55's.. Would running 35's on 17" rims work good?.. I'm gonna get a tuner (trinity it's looking like).. How much worst would the MPG be? and how much slower will the truck be?
Would 3.92's Improve it.. or alot better to jump to 4.10s?
Tow mirrors up for all the haters
Old 03-27-2013, 01:55 PM
Bully's Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Hemi Pride View Post
Not trying to steal the thread but I do have a similar question in a way.. For the 08 with LSD and 3.55's.. Would running 35's on 17" rims work good?.. I'm gonna get a tuner (trinity it's looking like).. How much worst would the MPG be? and how much slower will the truck be?
Would 3.92's Improve it.. or alot better to jump to 4.10s?
There is so many factors here to determine gears you want

your truck will feel a little sluggish off the start. Not a whole lot, but you will notice it. once rolling its like anything else.
Tuner will help as you are upping your power, but you are only masking the slight stress you are giving your axles. but again, its still ok.

Gears, this is all preference.
3.92 is of course better than 3.55, and 4.10 is from if going from 3.92 to 4.10 that would be a waste.
4.10 would give you better in city performance and MPG and 3.92 would yield you better fuel on the freeway.
But the 3.92 and 4.10 are so close, if it was my truck I would do the 4.10 as you still need to factor in fun, tow (if you need to tow something) and those larger wheels.

This is just my 2 cents.
Others may have different opinions, but I would say, Im always right.....KIDDING