DODGE RAM FORUM banner

84 royal se with sloppy steering

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  The War Wagon 
#1 ·
This is my first post so let me know if I left anything out. I purchased a 1984 Dodge Royal SE about a week ago. When I drove it I noticed that it has left to right play in the steering wheel and you can turn the steering shaft by hand about 1/4 of a turn in both directions. Where would be the best places to start looking for this problem?

It also has about a 6 inch lift on Gumbo Monster Mudders 17/40-15LT.

#2 ·
There is a coupler, that is almost always worn out, between the steering box and the shaft going up to the column. If it has side play or rotational play it needs to be rebuilt (which rarely fixes it completely) or get an after market shaft with a small universal joint built in like a Borgeson shaft. They're about $200. :(

#6 ·
BORGESON is your friend, with a 6" lift. I have a 4 1/2" lift on my '92 RC, and I'm going with the HD Borgeson steering shaft AND the Borgeson steering gearbox. $587 & change before shipping from JEGS, but money WELL spent with a lifted Gen.1!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.