DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-13-2013, 01:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

i also have used mobil 1 in all my vehicles. in my 11 sport i have been using penzoil ultra. so far no hemi tick.
Sponsored links
Old 02-13-2013, 02:45 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:13
s1000rrhp is on a distinguished road

Only run Amsoil in my truck and it is chryler approved stamped right on the jug.
Mobile 1 is over rated
Old 02-13-2013, 03:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2505
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Rut row, me thinks this will start a rucus.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:03 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000rrhp View Post
Only run Amsoil in my truck and it is chryler approved stamped right on the jug.
Mobile 1 is over rated
What is your logic behind this and what evidence supports the claim?
Old 02-13-2013, 04:04 PM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes1 View Post
Rut row, me thinks this will start a rucus.
Good call, I'd say...
Old 02-13-2013, 08:18 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:18
rjmlakota is on a distinguished road

I'm coming up to my first oil change. Should I use 5-20 synthetic or not? I know the manual says no but I was just wondering what everyone else uses.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:14 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express RC
Color: Black Express Package
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:62
RyanJM will become famous soon enough

I honestly run Mobil 1, penzoil, or whatever synthetic is on sale with a mopar filter and had no issues with my 09 and it had 110k when I traded it in Monday. Same with my cammed trans am synthetic and whatever filter is the best at the store I am at.

2014 Black Express, 4.5" Maxtrac lift, Ballistic Razorback's 20x9, 35x12.5 Federal Cougaria MT's, DeeZee tailgate assist, K&N drop in filter, magnaflow 16" welded in, Diablo Trinity, 20% tint on the front and 5% on the rear glass, AVS Smoked Aeroskin, HID 3000k fogs, 6000k HID's in the projectors.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmlakota View Post
I'm coming up to my first oil change. Should I use 5-20 synthetic or not? I know the manual says no but I was just wondering what everyone else uses.
The manual says nothing about not using synthetic. Below is what Chrysler has to say about oil in the Hemi.

ENGINE OIL
WARNING: New or used engine oil can be irritating to the skin. Avoid prolonged or repeated skin contact with engine oil. Contaminants in used engine oil, caused by internal combustion, can be hazardous to your health. Thoroughly wash exposed skin with soap and water. Do not wash skin with gasoline, diesel fuel, thinner, or solvents, health problems can result. Do not pollute, dispose of used engine oil properly. Contact your dealer or government agency for location of collection center in your area.

Only lubricants bearing designations defined by the following organization should be used.

Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
American Petroleum Institute (API)
National Lubricating Grease Institute (NLGI)
Association des Constructeurs Européens d' Automobiles (European Automobile Manufacturers Association) (ACEA)

API SERVICE GRADE CERTIFIED
Use an engine oil that is API Certified. MOPAR® provides engine oils, that meet or exceed this requirement.

SAE VISCOSITY

An SAE viscosity grade is used to specify the viscosity of engine oil. Use only engine oils with multiple viscosities such as 5W-20 or 5W-30. These are specified with a dual SAE viscosity grade which indicates the cold-to-hot temperature viscosity range. Select an engine oil that is best suited to your particular temperature range and variation. For 3.6L/4.7L engines SAE 5W-20 engine oil is recommended for all operating temperatures. For 5.7L engines SAE 5W-20 engine oil is recommended for all operating temperatures. These engine oils improve low temperature starting and vehicle fuel economy. Refer to your engine oil filler cap for the recommended engine oil viscosity for your vehicle. Vehicles with 5.7L engines equipped with Multiple Displacement System (MDS) must use SAE 5W-20 oil. Failure to do so may result in improper operation of the Multiple Displacement System (MDS). Refer to Multi Displacement System under Starting and Operating for details. Refer to the engine oil filler cap for the recommened engine oil viscosity for each vehicle.

The viscosity grade is also listed in the vehicle quick reference specifications (Refer to 04 - Vehicle Quick Reference/Capacities and Recommended Fluids/Specifications) .

ACEA Categories
For countries that use the ACEA European Oil Categories for Service Fill Oils, use engine oils that meet the requirements of ACEA A1/B1, A2/B2, or A3/B3.

ENERGY CONSERVING OIL
An Energy Conserving type oil is recommended for gasoline engines. The designation of ENERGY CONSERVING is located on the label of an engine oil container.

CONTAINER IDENTIFICATION

Standard engine oil identification notations have been adopted to aid in the proper selection of engine oil. The identifying notations are located on the front label of engine oil plastic bottles and the top of engine oil cans .

This symbol means that the oil has been certified by the American Petroleum Institute (API). DiamlerChrysler only recommend API Certified engine oils. Use Mopar® engine oil or equivalent.

SYNTHETIC ENGINE OILS
There are a number of engine oils being promoted as either synthetic or semi-synthetic. If you chose to use such a product, use only those oils that meet the American Petroleum Institute (API) and SAE viscosity standard. Follow the service schedule that describes your driving type.

ENGINE OIL ADDITIVES/SUPPLEMENTS
The manufacturer does not recommend the addition of any engine oil additives/supplements to the specified engine oil. Engine oil additives/supplements should not be used to enhance engine oil performance. Engine oil additives/supplements should not be used to extend engine oil change intervals. No additive is known to be safe for engine durability and can degrade emission components. Additives can contain undesirable materials that harm the long term durability of engines by:

Doubling the level of phosphorus in the engine oil. The ILSAC (International Lubricant Standard Approval Committee) GF-2 and GF-3 standards require that engine oil contain no more than 0.10% phosphorus to protect the vehicles emissions performance. Addition of engine oil additives/supplements can poison, from the added sulfur and phosphorus, catalysts and hinder efforts to guarantee emissions performance to 80,000 miles.
Altering the viscosity characteristics of the engine oil so that it no longer meets the requirements of the specified viscosity grade.
Creating potential for an undesirable additive compatibility interaction in the engine crankcase. Generally it is not desirable to mix additive packages from different suppliers in the crankcase; there have been reports of low temperature engine failures caused by additive package incompatibility with such mixtures.

Last edited by RamTech; 02-14-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:41 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4362
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmlakota View Post
The Ram Manual says:

Synthetic Engine Oils
You may use synthetic engine oils if the recommended oil quality requirements are met and the recommended maintenance intervals for oil and filter changes are followed.

So yes no problem in using Synthetic 5W-20
Old 02-14-2013, 09:21 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3872
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000rrhp View Post
Mobile 1 is over rated
Which Amsoil oil says Chrysler approved?

Grub out!