DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Product Reviews

Notices

Product Reviews Have you found a great product, or a really bad one and you just need to tell someone about it! Post up a review for the benefit of all!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-13-2013, 11:55 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: maximum steel
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:42
profiler is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Bakflip Roll-X

Had the Bakflip Roll-X installed recently and its been great. Just figured I'd post a few pics to show how it sits on the truck even with my rails. There is already another post about someone not liking the one they had. Not sure if it was a lemon or if there were other issues but mine fits like a glove and is very sturdy. Glad I went with it.

I had the Bakflip F1 on my previous truck and it was great as well but I was looking for a secure cover that didn't block my back window when up this time around. No regrets!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rollx1 (480x271).jpg (118.8 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg Rollx2 (360x203).jpg (95.8 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg Rollx6 (360x203).jpg (93.4 KB, 149 views)
Sponsored links
Old 02-14-2013, 09:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:2538
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks nice and like you I am so far happy with Bak products. Good luck with it.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Rep:10
Elam Harnish is on a distinguished road

I installed my Bak Rollx yesterday. My observations:

1) It's a very nice look.
2) I drive a regular cab short bed with the SXT Sport PLUS group. Once installed the exhaust note is more muted. IOW, it's a little quieter in the cab.
3) There's a little shake to the cover that you can hear when going over "washboard" like surfaces. I park in a deck that has a very poor surface, i.e. like a washboard. You can hear the cover flex as the truck goes over the "up and down" surface of the deck's ramp. It's not excessive. No more noise than a small rock dislodging from the tread and hitting the inside of the wheel liner.
4) This last is more of a question. I've attached two pictures; one to give you perspective on the left rail of the truck and two to show you how the end of the rail matches up to the gap between the tail gate and the back of the bed. You can see a significant gap there. My question is whether water will run into this gap and into the bed. Anyone have any experience with this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3193 (Small).JPG (56.5 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3192 (Small).JPG (108.3 KB, 87 views)
Old 03-10-2013, 10:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearlcoat
DonDoner is on a distinguished road

get a tail gate dust seal (rubber weather stip that seals where tail gate mates to side rails and floor). should help keep water out
Old 06-01-2013, 02:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Color: True Blue Pearl
RAM13SD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elam Harnish View Post
I installed my Bak Rollx yesterday. My observations:

1) It's a very nice look.
2) I drive a regular cab short bed with the SXT Sport PLUS group. Once installed the exhaust note is more muted. IOW, it's a little quieter in the cab.
3) There's a little shake to the cover that you can hear when going over "washboard" like surfaces. I park in a deck that has a very poor surface, i.e. like a washboard. You can hear the cover flex as the truck goes over the "up and down" surface of the deck's ramp. It's not excessive. No more noise than a small rock dislodging from the tread and hitting the inside of the wheel liner.
4) This last is more of a question. I've attached two pictures; one to give you perspective on the left rail of the truck and two to show you how the end of the rail matches up to the gap between the tail gate and the back of the bed. You can see a significant gap there. My question is whether water will run into this gap and into the bed. Anyone have any experience with this?

I got another brand and got the trail seal and no problems in wet weather or car wash. I had the ROLL X on with and without the trail seal before giving up on the Rollx and yes it leaked in car wash. Yours looks similar to the way mine was.Im glad you like yours. I wish I hadn't got a dud YMMV
Old 06-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi 8-speed
Color: Black
Rep:883
RedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM13SD View Post
I got another brand and got the trail seal and no problems in wet weather or car wash. I had the ROLL X on with and without the trail seal before giving up on the Rollx and yes it leaked in car wash. Yours looks similar to the way mine was.Im glad you like yours. I wish I hadn't got a dud YMMV
Are you allowed to say which brand you got that didn't leak?

My Big Horn arrives next week and I would like to get a cover as well.

I have the Rambox on the 6' bed, so I am starting to look now.

I don't like the idea of blocking my window as I have no experience driving a truck, and can't imagine not being able to see out the back.

Yes I know that's what those giant mirrors are for, but until I get use to them. LOL......
Old 06-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I got the Access Lorado cover with total bed seal. It has been through snow and a lot of rain here recently. Car washes have not bothered it either. Its also made in the USA just up a little ways in ND. I haven't had to deal with CS but I've heard they are great to deal with. Who knows?!? CS is a crap shoot 99% of the time. I just hope I don't need them

Last edited by RAM13SD; 06-01-2013 at 03:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-01-2013, 04:25 PM

RedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for your reply.

I just looked them up, and I can't seem to find one that has a "hard/soft cover".

I want the roll up, but I need more than just fabric to cover what's in the bed.

If I see their website correctly, all it would take is someone with a sharp knife to cut through the fabric and make off with the goods.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I don't think they make hard covers. I believe the RollX is the only one that does that. I live in the country in SD, so no one is going to "slice" your cover Being retired military and living all over, I do see your point. If we ever go out of town driving we take the SUV or car. The RollX might be for you, I just hate being used as a test monkey and then dodged when I had a problem. After the second set were bent, I got a "oh well" attitude. I think they thought I was just going to accept that. Not for $900!!
Old 06-02-2013, 12:01 AM

I can see your point and frustration. I would be a little ticked too.

It's a lot of money to spend, so you hope to get what you paid for.

I live in Toronto, and not that it has any higher crime rate than anywhere else, I just don't want to give them the opportunity to try.

That and the fact that to me the fabric will stretch over time with the snow that sits on it? Or at least I'm guessing it will.

Well thanks for your input I appreciate your comments.