DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - News Desk > Automotive Industry News and Dodge Press Releases

Notices

Automotive Industry News and Dodge Press Releases News regarding the Dodge Ram and other industry info. Post it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-14-2013, 09:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:611
InDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to all

Joe we seem to be on the same page, I created a thread on this a couple hours before you did lol They made the announcement a little after they;ve confirmed a Diesel for Jeep as well which is expected to have 240HP and 420 FTTQ and is in line to be in the 2014 line up. Keep in mind this Diesel is NOT from Cummins, it's coming from Fiat/Chrysler through a partmership with VM Motori which they (collectively) own. VM Motori makes one of the best Diesel V6's on the market which is the 3.0L that they plan to incorporate into the Ram's. It's already available in Europe for the Jeeps.
Sponsored links
Old 02-15-2013, 12:05 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express Package
Color: Mineral Gray Matalic
Rep:320
JimsRamTruck2012 is a jewel in the roughJimsRamTruck2012 is a jewel in the roughJimsRamTruck2012 is a jewel in the roughJimsRamTruck2012 is a jewel in the rough

It good to know this motor will be a solid one.

Still no word on the cost.

Chrylser/Ram is making a number of very good moves and I'm liking the fact that the Ram is gaining popularity.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:32 PM

InDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to all

it's hard to guess how Chrysler is going to play this. It will either fall between the newer V6 and the Hemi (considering its a V6 Diesel) or between the Hemi and the Cummins.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:01 AM

Vehicle: '14 Ram1500 BigHornEcodiesel
Color: White
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:16
DieselD is on a distinguished road

Been lurking and hoping for a diesel in the 1500 as I thought the 2500 might be too large for my means. I was figuring a used 2500 vs a new 1500 diesel.

My goals are to have a truck that will have a long life and be able to handle firewood loads, towing water vehicle trailers and perhaps an RV down the road. I LOVED the test drive on the 2500 Cummins and would consider a used one. I also want to get higher mileage than my current SUV, a Pilot. And I have a friend who runs a diesel shop who has mentioned he can do certain modifications on the engine to get as high as 17 MPG on a 2500.

But I have an high "in" at Ram and can get a great deal on the 1500 diesel. I dont know how new this VM diesel is but I guess Im wondering how reputable is it and would it have as long a life as the Cummins? I *think* the 1500 diesel may make more sense for me as I wont tow all the time.

I'm hoping to get some opinions and suggestions here. You guys have a lot of experience and I am very new to Dodge but stroked that my new car is going to be a Ram. I appreciate your time and wisdom.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:29 AM

Vehicle: '14 Ram1500 BigHornEcodiesel
Color: White
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:16
DieselD is on a distinguished road

"With a simple tuner this could easily be pushing 400+hp, then add exhaust and intake and there could be some serious gains without the weight of a 2500 or 3500..."

-what sort of tuner would raise the Hp to 400? I do like the fact it'll be much lighter than a 2500 so the MPG would certainly go up.

"they've confirmed a Diesel for Jeep as well which is expected to have 240HP and 420 FTTQ ... VM Motori makes one of the best Diesel V6's on the market which is the 3.0L that they plan to incorporate into the Ram's."

-Can you tell me more about the longevity of the VM, V6 that you describe as one of the best on the market?

-Also, how would the performance in terms of MPG and towing compare in the 1500 from the Hemi to the VM V6 diesel? Better MPG and towing?
Old 02-16-2013, 08:10 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:139
SnoylCC5 will become famous soon enoughSnoylCC5 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselD View Post
-Also, how would the performance in terms of MPG and towing compare in the 1500 from the Hemi to the VM V6 diesel? Better MPG and towing?
First off I am very excited for this to come out and if it is really as good as advertised and lives up to the hype that it is recieving, I think i may have found my next truck!

As far as the performance. The towing would be a lot better than the hemi. and as far as MPG, typical diesels can get pretty good gas mileage, but i would expect this to get much better than the current hemi is getting currently, especially with just a few mods

Mods: Debadged, plasti-dip all chrome, 2.5" leveling kit, 10000k HID's, Superchips Flashpaq 3865, red interior LED's
Soon to come: 6" suspension lift, 35" or 37" tires, New rims (undecided), 5% tint all around, LED tailgate bar
Old 02-17-2013, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselD View Post
-Can you tell me more about the longevity of the VM, V6 that you describe as one of the best on the market?
I said one of the best in reference to the engine power output for it's size compared to the competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoylCC5 View Post
First off I am very excited for this to come out and if it is really as good as advertised and lives up to the hype that it is recieving, I think i may have found my next truck!

As far as the performance. The towing would be a lot better than the hemi. and as far as MPG, typical diesels can get pretty good gas mileage, but i would expect this to get much better than the current hemi is getting currently, especially with just a few mods
I'd agree with this. For a smaller motor to put out that much TQ is impressive and will definitely get the big Ram up and moving without needing to dip further into the powerband like the Hemi which is why typically CTD's get better gas mileage. Plus it being smaller and lighter will help keep the weight down, and the mass over the wheels will be better for improved handling and braking. I can't imagine a tuner easily making the motor go from 250HP to 400HP, but I'm sure with a tuner and an upgraded down pipe and tweaking the turbo for more boost you could easily get 350HP and 550+ TQ. I know it's not a Cummins but it's a lot easier to get bigger power gains out of a Diesel than a V8.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:28 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:139
SnoylCC5 will become famous soon enoughSnoylCC5 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDeepWaterBlue View Post
I'd agree with this. For a smaller motor to put out that much TQ is impressive and will definitely get the big Ram up and moving without needing to dip further into the powerband like the Hemi which is why typically CTD's get better gas mileage. Plus it being smaller and lighter will help keep the weight down, and the mass over the wheels will be better for improved handling and braking. I can't imagine a tuner easily making the motor go from 250HP to 400HP, but I'm sure with a tuner and an upgraded down pipe and tweaking the turbo for more boost you could easily get 350HP and 550+ TQ. I know it's not a Cummins but it's a lot easier to get bigger power gains out of a Diesel than a V8.

Yea i completely agree. I am thrilled to here this because i have no need for a 2500 however, i like the power that a diesel provides as well as the mpg (even though it cost more to fill up, its still more efficient overall) and also the longevity of diesels vs. gas. I can not wait to see this come out and hopefully it comes out this year

Mods: Debadged, plasti-dip all chrome, 2.5" leveling kit, 10000k HID's, Superchips Flashpaq 3865, red interior LED's
Soon to come: 6" suspension lift, 35" or 37" tires, New rims (undecided), 5% tint all around, LED tailgate bar
Old 03-02-2013, 09:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram
Trim Level: Slt
Rep:10
2002z28 is on a distinguished road

The problem is that they should have put a cummins in it. There was almost a deal worked out, but it all went to pieces when fiat bought them.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002z28 View Post
The problem is that they should have put a cummins in it. There was almost a deal worked out, but it all went to pieces when fiat bought them.
And now Cummins may have a deal with Nissan to put a motor in the Titan O_o