DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Drag Racing Discussion

Notices

Drag Racing Discussion Post your questions and info about how to best get these beasts down the 1320!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-20-2013, 07:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Sport
Color: silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:11
compressor man is on a distinguished road

It has been talked about but there is too much modification involved, hardware and software. Not all factory trans are crap, the GM 480le I believe it is, is capable of handeling loads of power, and so does the Ram Diesel trans. The 545 has a major flaw in the design by using weak clutches in the 2P and 4th gear clutching. This combined with rediculous coding is a recipie for disaster.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:54 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
It has been talked about but there is too much modification involved, hardware and software. Not all factory trans are crap, the GM 480le I believe it is, is capable of handeling loads of power, and so does the Ram Diesel trans. The 545 has a major flaw in the design by using weak clutches in the 2P and 4th gear clutching. This combined with rediculous coding is a recipie for disaster.
I'm not sure what the 480le is but the 460le is in LS1 camaro's I believe. It is an ok transmission but it too fails with additional power. My buddy has a camaro with an ls1 and with just some bolt ons and a tune the trans started slipping.

Like I said, the transmissions are good for power levels they are designed for. If you add 100lb ft to the input shaft of most factory transmission it will likely have issues. I believe you'll see the same thing with the new 8 speed.

And comparing diesel to gas is not a fair comparison. Diesel's have to be able to withstand significantly higher torque levels than gassers.

It's pretty rare you hear of a failure of a 45rfe/545rfe/65rfe unless it's supercharged, turbocharged, or running nitrous.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.

Last edited by snrusnak; 02-20-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:17 PM

Vehicle: 2013 dodge ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:33
Dragpac is on a distinguished road

The f150 trans is great.ive been running 11.60's on spray and 12.60's on motor with hundreds of passes and no problems.

]2014 sport crew cab hemi 8 speed 3.92 gears
Old 02-20-2013, 07:56 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Sport
Color: silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:11
compressor man is on a distinguished road

I think if you look a little harder you will see that tons of 545's have failed with simple bolt ons. They just can't handle 2p down shifts or wide open throttle into 4th gear. I have a little knowledge on the 545, I'm on my 3rd, and know guys way deeper into them then me. It is a decent trans for the average person, but put someone with a lead foot behind the wheel and it will eventually fail.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:19 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I'm just speaking from my experience. I've known a lot of ram owners(2nd, 3rd, and 4th gens, but mostly 3rd) and one guy really abused his truck. His gas pedal had two positions, on or off. And he sold his truck with ~150,000 miles never had a single issue. He had a tune, long tubes, full exhaust, intake, I think that's all. I've known a lot of others too that have had similar or less mods and never a single issue.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:56 PM

Vehicle: sold* 10' R/T... 13' R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: black
Rep:142
autobred will become famous soon enoughautobred will become famous soon enough

just want to bump this up. So whats the latest info on these 8 speed trannys? I'm test driving a 13' R/T at our local dealer tomorrow but it has a 6 speed, and I've personally trashed one of those LOL..just curious to what everybodys latest input on this 6 speed/8 speed options, thanks...
and also has anyone with a tuned 13' Ram run the track with an 8 speed yet?
Old 03-27-2013, 08:58 PM

A tuned 2013 ram doesn't exist.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:00 PM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormran View Post
Hey all looking at replacing my 2011 with one of the new 2013's can't seem to find any reading on the new 8 speeds and whether or not they will be benifitial to the performance of the truck can anyone shed some light on the subject i mean i can wait a few weeks for one and spend the extra $1000 on it i would just hate to pick up a new 13 6 speed and find out a month later the 8 speeds are just crazy towing/power for the trucks. Any who help me out here guys
I heard the eight speed hemis were coming out in mid November. Till then I wouldn't touch a new hemi truck with a six speed. It's the same ole same ole funky gear ratio spread too far apart. You'll be super more than happy you waited for it.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:03 PM

Vehicle: 2013 QC Bighorn Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Max Steel
Rep:10
NumberCruncher is on a distinguished road

Are eight speeds not out yet as the poster above alluded to?

I may trade my F-150 with the 5.0 V8 and 6 speed on a new Hemi Big Horn this week. They have the exact truck I want at a great price but it has the 6 speed. I know the 645RFE is really the 545RFE but the one I drove two years ago seemed okay to me. The Hemi has so much more torque than the Ford 5.0 that I didn't miss the lower gears one bit. I admit I don't tow more than 5,000 pounds so maybe that is where I would notice the gappy transmission ratios. I much preferred the power of the Hemi over the Ford 5.0 but the Ford interior sold me. Now the 2013 Ram has me thinking trade in.

Yes my F-150 has a really low first gear but I find it very annoying in stop and go traffic. When creeping along from zero to eight miles an hour you are constantly shifting gears. I think the 3:1 ratio of the 645RFE would be fine. In the Davis Dam test Ford did, the Hemi nearly caught the Eco-boost so I think this tranny with a 3.92 will be fine but Chrysler is bringing out the 8 speed for a reason.

If I am wrong and the 8 speed is already in production, please let me know and I'll look for comparisons.

NC
Old 07-22-2013, 10:14 PM

I'm not sure if the 8 speed is paired with the hemi yet(don't think it is) but the 5/6 speed (65rfe/545rfe) is a great transmission. While I agree it has a funky gear spread, it is pretty decent and adequate. It holds up well with stock or slightly modified power levels, and gets the job done just fine(especially with 3.92's). Some say this trans is horrible and sucks, and while I agree that I'd choose the gear spread of the new 8 speed, the "old" 6 speed is NOT a bad transmission. If I were you, I'd buy the truck.