DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-01-2013, 09:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:36
ericlee9386 is on a distinguished road
Default ARH headers install. Happy but disappointed

OK hello everyone let me start by saying Matt at moe's is the man once again. Last month was a heavy mod month for me adding the edge racing 11" stall, ARH LT, moe's 87mm tb and a hemifever tune coming asap.

So my LT's finally showed up on tuesday i was already and excited to install them after waiting two weeks for ARH to redesign the headers. So today while at work i had the exhaust guy go ahead with the install. Everything was going great until we noticed there was no header bolts in the box. So at this point im angry to the max. Well thankfully i had a bag of bolts from my 03 so i raced home to get them. Does anybody esle who ordered just the headers have this happen? For almost a grand i would think the bolts would have been included and if not they should have said so.

Also the new design will need ext. for the front O2 sensor. I had to make some on the fly because i had read that they would fit but they dont. I added about a foot but you dont need that much maybe 6 inches.

Overall im happy with the performance but dont like the sound. Its quiet now which i was expecting but i miss the tone of the manifolds. I have also tested my 0-60 and its still terrible. Its down from 7.2 to 6.69. I guess its the 3.55's that hurts me so maybe 4.10's are in my future. I will post a video and pictures tomorrow. But like said i like the quaility of the headers just wish it had some bolts lol.

Sponsored links
Old 03-01-2013, 11:04 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3236
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Header bolts didn't come with my full kit, and to my knowledge, they don't come with any of the kits. I expected this when I did my swap and ordered stage 8 locking fasteners, they're ten times better than a header bolt. It's a rare thing to expect the fasteners to be in the kit, you don't get main cap bolts with a rotating assembly nor do you get head bolts with new heads.

For your front O2s, did you clip any of the zip ties holding the wiring in place to lengthen the leads? I'm surprised that you needed to lengthen the fronts as they are barely moved from their stock location.

As for the tone, I'm surprised you said they are quieter, I hear more valve train noise through my ARH headers than I did out of the stock log manifold.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:38 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 2500 Quad cab 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Atlantic Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:140
DOZER will become famous soon enoughDOZER will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to DOZER Send a message via Skype™ to DOZER

I got the full set headers, cats, and Y. They sent me the manifold bolts. I ordered the set back in October.
'06 2500 ST 4x4 Quad cab, Vararam CAI, Bed/Hood stripes, Vent visors, Bully tailgate lock, Moto Metal 909 18x9, Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70/18 HBS 2" level, Bilstein 5100's, Bushwhacker flares, 5000K HID's, Diablo Trinity 87 tune, LineX, Bakflip F1.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
Header bolts didn't come with my full kit, and to my knowledge, they don't come with any of the kits. I expected this when I did my swap and ordered stage 8 locking fasteners, they're ten times better than a header bolt. It's a rare thing to expect the fasteners to be in the kit, you don't get main cap bolts with a rotating assembly nor do you get head bolts with new heads.

For your front O2s, did you clip any of the zip ties holding the wiring in place to lengthen the leads? I'm surprised that you needed to lengthen the fronts as they are barely moved from their stock location.

As for the tone, I'm surprised you said they are quieter, I hear more valve train noise through my ARH headers than I did out of the stock log manifold.
Yes I released all the clips and it was just not going to make it. The header changed because of fitment issues so maybe it is a result of that. An my hedman headers had bolts so I just thought they would to guess I should have checked.

I can hear more noises but just not that deep tone my truck had before. When idling in the morning you could hear it from inside the apt easy now it has to be quiet to hear. But performance wise its a big difference.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:51 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Rep:13
BlackHemiExpress is on a distinguished road

I want some headers bad, but can't pay that ARH price. There was a guy at the drag strip tonight who was running OBX longtubes for a 6.1 SRT Jeep on his 2011 Ram. He said they fit perfectly except for having to put a small bump in one of the primaries.

Mufflex DOD18M & Custom Intake tube w/air box mox
Diablo Intune DCX with Hemifever Tuning
Longtubes coming soon...
RIPP supercharger coming soon...
Old 03-02-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHemiExpress View Post
I want some headers bad, but can't pay that ARH price. There was a guy at the drag strip tonight who was running OBX longtubes for a 6.1 SRT Jeep on his 2011 Ram. He said they fit perfectly except for having to put a small bump in one of the primaries.
Hello what track did you go to? An they fit and yes one tube has to be dented on the driver side to avoid the motor mount. They cost less but remember you get what you pay for. There customer service is unexistent from what i hear. But it seems like a good altern. to ARH so good luck.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:28 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram
Trim Level: express
Color: blue
Rep:10
blue beast is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlee9386 View Post
Hello what track did you go to? An they fit and yes one tube has to be dented on the driver side to avoid the motor mount. They cost less but remember you get what you pay for. There customer service is unexistent from what i hear. But it seems like a good altern. to ARH so good luck.
dude im the one with the obx headers they are stainless steel look great and for the money prolly do better or as good as ARH. people done lost thier mind buying ARH. are the ARH even coated or anything? i have 600 dollars in mine shipped to my door. look at the drag race video put up by chris b and you will hear some real power lol. who knows obx might be why im now the fasted 4th gen ram in 1/8th and prolly 1/4 too not for sure on that yet. and we were at twin city
Old 03-02-2013, 04:36 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Rep:13
BlackHemiExpress is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue beast View Post
dude im the one with the obx headers they are stainless steel look great and for the money prolly do better or as good as ARH. people done lost thier mind buying ARH. are the ARH even coated or anything? i have 600 dollars in mine shipped to my door. look at the drag race video put up by chris b and you will hear some real power lol. who knows obx might be why im now the fasted 4th gen ram in 1/8th and prolly 1/4 too not for sure on that yet. and we were at twin city
Definitely agree, I've ran OBX on my old 5.3 GMC and they are built great. Thick flanges, good welds, and I NEVER had any problems out of them. Your truck really surprised me last night.

Mufflex DOD18M & Custom Intake tube w/air box mox
Diablo Intune DCX with Hemifever Tuning
Longtubes coming soon...
RIPP supercharger coming soon...
Old 03-02-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue beast View Post
I was going to order the obx just didnt like the way they were coming cali and didnt want any issues if something was wrong. I will be at twin cities next time its open im working on my tune right now and i would like to hear your truck. Look in the drag racing section for the time slip thread and compare your times before you say your the fastest. Any other mods besides the headers? I will be looking forward to seeing you guys at the track
Old 03-02-2013, 09:58 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3236
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

The OBX catted full headers system is $1000, and the ARH catted full header system is $1500, so yes, it's a difference, but one that's worth it when you start comparing the minutiae between the two. Are the OBX bad? Not at all, but the ARH are better when comparing the details.

My biggest fear when looking at the OBX is the welds, almost all of the ones I've ever seen have the tell-tale signs of stainless welded with carbon rod/wire, there's the discoloration, and if they're coated, it's just hiding the fact. I know my ARH headers were welded with stainless rod based on the color uniformity of the welds. The down side to using carbon rods on stainless is you've now introduced material into the stainless that can rust, so even though the tubing is stainless, you can still rust at the welds.

I'm also not a fan of the OBX y-pipe, it's not a bad setup, but it's not optimized for flow compared to the ARH, which you can see runs parallel before merging rather than having to turn a 90 degrees at the same time as blending, creating a more turbulent flow, which reduces your exhaust velocity.

OBX:
http://www.obxracingsports.com/produ...image-1197.jpg

ARH:
http://www.ramforumz.com/attachment....5&d=1296432442