DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-21-2013, 09:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 6.4 Hemi; traded 2013 CTD
Trim Level: Laramie Crew 4x4
Rep:139
HorseMan will become famous soon enoughHorseMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes1 View Post
I thought it was a definite no-no to mix viscosities.
I've read both theories on mixing viscocities. Those being yes, it's OK, and no, it's bad. I don't really know. I've seen several threads on the subject of mixing...I'll find a couple if I can. Figured ASUR would chime in!
Sponsored links
Old 03-21-2013, 10:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseMan View Post
I've read both theories on mixing viscocities. Those being yes, it's OK, and no, it's bad. I don't really know. I've seen several threads on the subject of mixing...I'll find a couple if I can. Figured ASUR would chime in!
Lmao, been in meetings all day sorry.

From what I have been seeing is that mixing viscosity in the same brand of oil is OK, but you need to use a calculator to figure out what your final outcome of oil viscosity will be, if you use 50% of 5w-20 and 50% of 5w-30 you don't get 5w-25, you might end up with 5w-23, there is a formula for it, I seen in, but could not find it now, but if some want it I can look for it again. As for mixing Brands that seems to be a whole other story, seems additives in different brand can cancel themselves out, if your stuck with low oil and you need to top off, its not the end of the world if you do with another brand than what you put in originally. Most Oil companies use pretty well the same 4 ingredients in there additives added to oils. But a 50/50 mix of 2 brands you might want to change your oil a bit sooner than later with one full oil change of all the same brand.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:16 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: WHITE
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:902
oldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to behold

Here ya go. http://www.widman.biz/English/Calculators/Mixtures.html
4qts(57.14%) 5W30+3qts(42.87%) 5W20=5W25 of NAPA Full Synthetic Oil.
Thats what is in my Ram Hemi now, 7qts 5W25 mixture. Engine has never made any of the horrible sounds as Mezerr's Hemi, but is quieter, in a sewing machine mechanical sounds. No codes and the MDS still works.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:2538
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting info. Frankly the only way I would mix oils brand or viscosity is if I was on a trip, I found I was in need of adding oil and the oil I use was unavailable. Not too likely since I regularly check my oil level, I carry at least 1 extra quart and oil consumption is not high.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:30 AM

Vehicle: 2012 ram
Rep:106
Red-Stripe will become famous soon enoughRed-Stripe will become famous soon enough

Let me add to the confusion on this thread.

1)
Multi-weight grading for oil manufactures is pass/fail between wide segments.
This means a 5W-20 and a 5W-30 can possibly be just about the same oil.
SAE 20 = 5.6 to less than 9.3cst
SAE 30 = 9.3 to less than 12.5cst
As you can see an oil that comes in around 9.3 balances on being branded either weight. This means any notion of mixing viscocities to get a calculated specific viscocity is ... unless you knew where in the range your particular 2 oils tested at.

2) If you run conventional oil ( like I do ) a 5W-20 has the advantage over a 5W-30 in the oil life longterm of being being less supceptable to viscosity breakdown, because it uses less polymers, and more base oil. This will have to some degree a positive over running 5W-30 as you rack up miles before an oil change. This might balance some negatives.

3) The MDS operates at as low as 120F engine temp. At that temp many 5W-20 oils will actually be thicker than a 5w/30 that is at engine operating temp, yet the MDS still works.

Last edited by Red-Stripe; 03-23-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:19 PM

oldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to behold

Red-Stripe, Well I must have a unique one. I can start up dead-cold truck, back out of driveway, go no more than 100yards and the MDS kicks in. I can feel it and hear it, four cylinders plugging along.
Thats very interesting about more base oil in a 5W20 dino oil. Going to think about that some more!!!
Old 03-23-2013, 07:46 PM

Vehicle: 2012 ram
Rep:106
Red-Stripe will become famous soon enoughRed-Stripe will become famous soon enough

Maybe they lowered the 120F min oil temp criteria for the MDS, I don't know. Mine won't display eco-mode for a couple of miles on a cold winter day, even while decelerating so I think it's still in the code. And then it takes a couple more miles before the tranny is at it's min temp to allow lock-up. Combined with the reformulated winter gas, it's no wonder the mileage drops in the cold.

Last edited by Red-Stripe; 03-24-2013 at 06:51 PM. Reason: changed coolant temp to oil temp
Old 03-23-2013, 07:57 PM

When its 20ish degrees, MDS works right off the bat, but it takes couple of miles before lockup comes in. Whats weird is the RPM's are about 600 higher at 55MPH.
The trans is in 5th because if I hit -button it shows 5. ?????????
Old 03-24-2013, 03:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 6.4 Hemi; traded 2013 CTD
Trim Level: Laramie Crew 4x4
Rep:139
HorseMan will become famous soon enoughHorseMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
I would like to start this thread to get input about something that I stumbled across on the internet. I don't what this to turn into a bitching match but think this is something that can be discussed and looked at. I like to keep my vehicles for long long time, and I do all the maintenance on all of them. Just to give you an Idea, my last Jeep Grand Cherokee is 14 years old, and still on the road and running strong. I do oil changes every 5600klm (3500miles) and I am running full synthetic. I know the book says 13000klm (8000 miles) or 6 months, whichever comes first, then the next one is 26000klm (16000 miles) or 1 year whichever comes first. Maybe I am spending more money on oil changes than I should but thats how I am, been doing it for the last 30 years. Sometimes hard to teach this old dog a new trick. That being said.

I Was doing some research on Motor oils and viscosity when I stumbled upon an article at a Amsoil Dealer website.

http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles/5w20oil.htm

I thought it was an interesting read so I posted some of the info on another thread for others to comment. So I started looking more into this and found the following.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/518/motor-oils

http://www.synlube.com/sae5w-20.htm

These where pretty much indicating the same info but the read of the information was very informative.

I then did a google search on "5W-20 oil and Engine Longevity" And wow lots of stuff posted up.

I don't usually question engineers on why they put stuff like they do. but I have been in business for a long time and also understand how manufactures work to make things break at a certain time so they keep the receivables coming in, my sunbeam toaster from 1940 still works today and works well, I thought to buy a new one "top of the line" and in 2 years it was toast <---- get it, toast. Still using the 1940 Sunbeam to this day. So yes some of the stuff I am reading makes sense.

So all this being said, I am starting this thread to get opinions and insight on what you all's think. I will also be contacting Amsoil to get there opinion and will let you know what they say. At the end of the day, I can understand that people who will only keep there vehicles for a 3 year lease and return it to the dealer for the next new model don't need to address this topic as it will not affect you in any way, but for those who want to keep there trucks for a long long time, this is something interesting be it that its "do what the book says" or change your oil as per what you want to do with your truck. Hope this will get some interesting insights.

Thanks for taking the time to look and think about this.
So what's the overall consensus on the issue? 5w20 or 5w30? My future truck, not yet built, would like to know!
Old 03-24-2013, 10:04 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Right now with 6 pages to this thread its like you could go to a 30 instead of a 20 but its really still in the air. As for the consensus its stay with 5w-20 for the Hemi, maybe go with 5w-25 or 5w-30 and see how the MDS reacts, but its still basically stick with what the book says. For the 4.7, having no MDS, you might go 5w-30 for summer and back to 5w-20 for the winter. Again, with all the info found and posted, nothing is really pushing one or the other. What we would need is an oil/engine engineer from Chrysler to pitch his knowledge. I talked to one, but think its a bit biased, his response was simple, "do what the book says" but see I have issues with that, I can't see myself changing oil at 8000 miles with Dino oil. So is his response conditional on his job at Chrysler. Maybe I said it wrong, maybe we need a X oil/engine engineer from Chrysler to chime in. But till that happens, its pretty well a follow the book 5w-20 but change it more often? Myself having a 4.7, I am already full synthetic and will be going 5w-30 on the next change. JMO

Last edited by Asur; 03-24-2013 at 11:14 AM.