DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-19-2013, 10:55 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

read all of this, here in jersey i am going to stick with 5-20 syn. been using penzoil ultra and change every 6000 miles. if any are concerned about about engine longevity, after 100000 miles, just pick up a lifetime warranty for a couple of grand from chrysler.
Sponsored links
Old 02-19-2013, 11:31 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
read all of this, here in jersey i am going to stick with 5-20 syn. been using penzoil ultra and change every 6000 miles. if any are concerned about about engine longevity, after 100000 miles, just pick up a lifetime warranty for a couple of grand from chrysler.
That would be nice, but in canada its not offered, well not at the dealers in my Provence. And our warranty on the truck is also different then in the US, ours is 100,000 klm and in the US is 160,000 klm or 100,000 miles. I have spoken to Crystler and they dont give a $*@*%, There response is: Not our problem, Canadian truck not the same. Lmao.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2538
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

It is interesting that some folks report issues with their MDS when using oil viscosity other than the 5w-20 and others report no issues. I would think if the MDS systems require 5w-20 evryone would experience problems when using something other than 5w-20. I am curious to know from those who have experienced problems, what kind of symptoms, issues occur?

Last edited by Hermes1; 02-19-2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-19-2013, 12:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

As i mentioned earlier, i just had the
Check Engine Light came on
so i couldn't use the Remote Start

From what i understand, in Australia & New Zealand, they don't have 5w-20, but they do have 0w-20
Australia has temperatures that are much like Afghanistan, 130 - 140F in mid summer
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 02-19-2013, 12:34 PM

Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Here is something interesting.

Ford released this

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_artic....cfm?x=b11,0,w

I have been reading that in Europe, 5W-20 is not put in cars delivered in Europe, whether Crysler or Ram or ford etc, As for Fords vehicles all have other viscosity like 5W-30 and 40 when delivered to Europe, Actually, you presently can't get 5W-20 in Europe unless specially ordered.
Now If you read the article, it about Ford developing with BP corp a new 5W-20 oil that will be compliant with Europe Europe's ACEA C2 oil sequence which does not have North Americas ver of the 5W-20 as being compliant. Whats interesting in the article, Ford is quoted saying ""My key deliverable was that it offer no compromise on engine durability," to me its as if this new 5W-20 would not compromise engine durability like the North American Ver. Just my thoughts.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:43 PM

Another interesting thing, if you talk to a guy in the UK that has a Ram 1500, they only put 5W-30 and MDS works fine, no issues, they can't get 5W-20 there yet.

Here is from another forum in the UK

I drive a 2005 C with the 5.7 and I currently have about 204,000 kms. I have used both a "20" weight oil (0w20 and 5w20) and "30" weight oils (0w30 and 5w30) and have had ZERO issues with the MDS.

The MDS was not originally designed to work exclusively with a "20" weight oil, and will work just as well with a "30". Car manufacturers recommend "20" weight oils so that they can meet the CAFE standards relatively easily. A "20" will return slightly better mileage than a "30" weight oil, too small for the average consumer to even notice, but these small improvements multiplied over the entire production run of each company's products add up to real improvements.

If a "20" was the only oil capable of working with the MDS, these cars would never be sold in Europe where a "20" is not relatively easy to find, nor does it have an attractive price point for Chrysler's consumers. The Europeans have been using "30" weight oil with their MDS for what.....6 years now or so, and there are no issues with the MDS not working.

I figured if it's good enough for the same car to use regardless of which side of the pond it's on, I would use the "30" in the summer and the "20" in the winter and have been doing so without any problems for all this time and mileage.

I have been finding this at a few UK forums and all seem to say the same thing.

Others stipulate that the service book for European vehicles with the 5.7l with MDS stipulate 5W-30 recommended oil viscosity. Same car made in the US shipped to Europe??? hmmmm. that's interesting, be nice to see someone scan the page out of there manual about that.

Last edited by Asur; 02-19-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:58 PM

Just stumbled onto this, here at ForumZ lmao, check this out

http://www.ramforumz.com/showpost.ph...64&postcount=8

its from this thread from a guy out in France

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=119368
Old 02-19-2013, 01:16 PM

Something of a visual aid for viscosity's.

Last edited by Asur; 02-19-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:56 PM

Vehicle: 2012 ram
Rep:106
Red-Stripe will become famous soon enoughRed-Stripe will become famous soon enough

That's a strange chart. Shows 5w-40 to a higher temp than straight 40. Straight 40 runs longevity circles around 5w-40 at high temps. It also shows 10w-30 at a higher temp than straight 30. same thing.

Last edited by Red-Stripe; 02-19-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:31 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
Australia has temperatures that are much like Afghanistan, 130 - 140F in mid summer
In some areas, yes.

However, on the coastal areas, where something like almost 90 percent of the country's population resides, those type of numbers aren't common.

At least not for any prolonged periods.

And, if my memory serves me right, I believe both Castrol and Penrite [Australian owned] makes a 5W20 grade motor oil available in Australia.

Grub out!