DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-19-2013, 09:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:63
S.C. Express will become famous soon enough

0w-20 will be just fine. just don't exceed the 5w or the 20 wt.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:35 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes1 View Post
The problem with these articles as I see it, and I am an Amsoil user, is a couple things. They indicate it is safe to use 5w-30, that the only reason 5w-20 oil is indicated, is to meet govt fuel economy. But if it were really safe to use, why then are people who use 5w-30, reporting error codes and adverse functioning of the MDS? I get the meeting govt. mpg standards and it makes sense, but I am not convinced it is as ok to use 5w-30 as some of these articles indicate. Another issue I have is these articles repeatedly say "don't let the dealers scare you". it is not the dealers who mandate the viscosity rating, rather the manufacturer. My final issue is the creative referencing to Magnuson-Moss act where they will have the reader believe, the act prohibits manufacturers from specifying viscosity, not true. The act prohibits specifying a certain brand, not specific grade or viscosity and the manufacturer would be well within their rights to deny a warranty claim if their requirements are not met. A final observation, Chrysler offers a pretty generous warranty on the motors, so I find it hard to believe they would warrant the engines as they do, then specify an oil viscosity that would impact meeting at least the warranty.
True, you know your going to meet there warranty term, but what about after the warranty, but I still wonder how much more or less protection the engine gets with these thinner oils. I also agree about the MDS, changing your viscosity may trigger MDS to Mal-function, but what about all the Hemi engines in Europe, they don't have 5w-20 and from what I have seen, most are running 0w-30 over there if not 5w and 10w-30. Wish I knew what is said in the owners manual of a Chrysler 300 Hemi as the viscosity requirement.

I did some more checking on European Forums, seems many are running there 4.7liter engines with 0w-30, 5w30 and 10w-30 oils depending on time of year and location, many with the 5.7 Hemi's are disabling there MDS with tuners and running higher viscosity oils in there engines. Mostly cause they can barely find 5w-20 oil locally, but also many seem to say that its just too thin an oil for engine and rather skip using MDS and run there engine longer. I also seen a few in Australia with the same conclusions.

Last edited by Asur; 03-19-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:43 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram CC 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black (PX8)
Rep:388
ONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really nice

This is for a 2012 Chrysler 300 with the 5.7L

Use API Certified SAE 5W-20 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of
Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395. Refer to the engine oil fill cap for

correct SAE grade.

The 3.7 is 5w30 and the SRT8 is the following:

For best performance and maximum protection under all types of operating
conditions, the manufacturer only recommends full synthetic engine
oils that meet the American Petroleum Institute (API) categories of SM or
SM/CF. The manufacturer recommends the use of a full synthetic SAE
0W-40 engine oil or equivalent
Old 03-19-2013, 10:59 AM

Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONOutdoorsman View Post
This is for a 2012 Chrysler 300 with the 5.7L

Use API Certified SAE 5W-20 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of
Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395. Refer to the engine oil fill cap for

correct SAE grade.

The 3.7 is 5w30 and the SRT8 is the following:

For best performance and maximum protection under all types of operating
conditions, the manufacturer only recommends full synthetic engine
oils that meet the American Petroleum Institute (API) categories of SM or
SM/CF. The manufacturer recommends the use of a full synthetic SAE
0W-40 engine oil or equivalent
Is this off a European Chrysler 300 or American?
Old 03-19-2013, 11:21 AM

Here is an interesting conversation on an Aussy forum

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=103918
Old 03-19-2013, 11:33 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram CC 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black (PX8)
Rep:388
ONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really nice

Americano. Sorry. Guess I should have known.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: Black
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:23
AJKirton is on a distinguished road

I have worked in the automotive world for quite a few years and have come to trust the decisions that they make. There is a separate group of people (quality engineers) that make sure that the interest of the customer is best suited.

Through the use of Dfmea (Design Failure Mode Analysis), and Pfmea (Process Failure Mode Analysis) processes the engineering groups and the quality groups come up with a design that is reliable and can be manufactured with the least amount of errors, and a product that will produce the least amount of trouble or hassle for the customer.

By using these tools an RPN(Risk Priority Number) number is assigned to each and every step in the manufacturing and design of each and every part. The team will then go through all of their testing data (including long term)and formulate corrective actions for any RPN that is higher than their set level.

I am confident that if they went through the trouble of changing the documentation, and making costs at dealerships and their truck factories higher (higher cost from having to stock two different grades of oil) that they had a very good reason. No manufacturer will design anything that will only last through the warranty period. That is not how things are engineered.

I will assure you that an early production new redesign model will have higher quality pieces than a model that has been out for a few years. Once a product has gone through the fmea process it then goes into "cost reduction" mode. At this point engineering and quality will work to lower the cost and maintain or increase the repeatability of their products. They cannot, or will not change anything that will negatively affect the integrity of their product. You may get cheaper tires that have the same overall specifications. Maybe a cheaper headlight switch made by a lower bidder to their strict specifications. None of these should directly affect their product.

Also, all non-self-manufactured product must go through a very stringent PPAP (Product Part Approval Process) process that requires the manufacturer to provide documentation and proof that they can accurately and reliably produce the same product at all times. You are much less likely to receive a batch of parts that work better than the previous batch.

No changes are made without reason in the automotive world, they have way too much liability to make silly changes. The automotive industry has improved leaps and bounds over the past 10 years from a quality and repeatability standpoint. I trust that if the manufacturer states that their could be an issue using a certain grade of oil that they have done their research and thrown 100s of thousands of dollars to validate that claim
Old 03-19-2013, 02:05 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Express
Color: WHITE
Rep:902
oldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to behold

They reflash ECUs all the time for updates or driveability issues. Don't you think the ECU has been set if it reads oil pressure at a set PSI for a certain amount of time that it would throw a code "wrong oil weight"?
Theres just too much 5W20, 0W20, 5W30 or one guy using 0W40 in their Hemi's with no issues. Way too much difference here.
I wish I was more computer savy, because I'll bet if you couldn't reflash ECU, you add a resistor that would show ECU that it had alittle less oil PSI while using a thicker oil. I know in-line resistors work because I had them in-line on the O2 sensors on my Harley. It "tricked" the ECU into thinking the engine was running leaner, so the ECU added more fuel. I chose the 13.8/1 AF over the factory 14.7/1. Oil temps dropped 20 some degrees and engine was more responsive and ran harder so I know it works. The resistors were also proven on dynos that showed better fuel ratios and more HP/torque.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:48 PM

I believe also that its in the best interest of the manufacture that

a) the engine lasts for the specified amount of years under the warranty

and

b) that its engineered to not last much longer after the warranty. I know personally 2 companies that have research departments spending tons of money to engineer things to last only so long after the warranty. I tend to lean towards that since today its all a question of profits.

as much as technology has advanced in leaps and bounds so has the ability to control the product so that the consumer has need to replace it more frequently. JMO
Old 03-19-2013, 03:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 express
Color: White
Rep:19
12hemi-express is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyofOne View Post
The oil passages are too small for 5w-30. You will not get proper lubrication to the crank and rod journals, MDS on or off, 5w-30 is a BAD idea.
exactly right, especially on newer vehicles you ABSOLUTELY need to run what MFR recommends. All new Hemis require 5w-20 and will actually set a code for incorrect engine oil. the new dodge dart for example, i believe it takes 0w-40 full synthetic and if you dont run 0w-40 it can produce a no start condition. reason being is that with the new multi air system in these cars, they have no intake camshaft, and it is dire that you run the right viscosity to fit through the passages and open/close valves and solenoids. I run Mobil one full synthetic 5w-20 in my hemi.