DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-27-2013, 10:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:517
shawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of light
Default Help!! Tips for cutting springs/Good news!!

I have a BT 2/4 drop coming in mail this week. Iwant it completely level and from what ive seen so far the rear is still a little higher. What are some tips to cut the rear springs? Grinder and cutoff wheel? I know not to use a torch. How do yall do yours!!

Now the good news, ever since i got my 22s my dealer has been hastling me about my chrome oem 20s. Today i finally thought, why dont i tell him ill trade for the chrome17s and cash since i just wanted to have spares if i ever sold the truck. I told him id trade plus cash on his part. Guess what?? Im trading for 17 chrome wheels only 50 miles on the wheel and 500 cash. Im happy happy happy.

P.s. Duck Dynasty nee season starts tonight if yall watch it!!!
12 RCSB Express- 5%Tint, Gatorhyde spray-in, Black OEM Tips, Plasti Dip badges and Interior, CBE muffler,AFE CAI, Kenwood DDX370, Ks3.5s, Pioneer 6x9s,BT 964SP lowered on oem chrome 17's and some LEDs... Plenty on the To-Do list

New audio build in progress
Sponsored links
Old 02-27-2013, 10:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 RAM 1500
Trim Level: sport
Color: brilliant black
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:60
57hemisport will become famous soon enough

Either a swazall or a grinder with a cutting wheel. Don't use any heat. Don't cut the bottom side of the coil. Cut the top side(the progressive part of the coil). Start with a half a coil and cut more if you still want to go lower. Remember that springs will settle more from when first installed. So take that into consideration.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:59 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Just make sure you don't use anything that will generate heat as that will change the spring's return rate. I would use a sawzall before I'd use a grinder w/ cutoff wheel as a grinder will heat up the metal more than a sawzall will since the sawzall blade will absorb and dissipate heat where a cutoff wheel won't absorb heat.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:47 PM

shawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of light

I didnt even think of a sawzall. I think ill take that route. And the progressive end is the one with close spaced coils correct? The only lowering ive ever done is shackles, although i have ready tons of other info on it since i was was goin 4/6 on my old 06 nightrunner...RIP but it had leaves so its another story.
Do yall have any input on my trade im making tomorrow?

Thanks alot!!
12 RCSB Express- 5%Tint, Gatorhyde spray-in, Black OEM Tips, Plasti Dip badges and Interior, CBE muffler,AFE CAI, Kenwood DDX370, Ks3.5s, Pioneer 6x9s,BT 964SP lowered on oem chrome 17's and some LEDs... Plenty on the To-Do list

Old 02-27-2013, 11:56 PM

Any are the trackbar relocation brackets in the BT kits yet.. i ordered mine the 15th... I might just drill a new hole to adjust it.

One more thing, how long should it take a shop to install the kit. My shop i always use is $60/hr so im looking around 180-240 for install plus alignment. Sound about right?

Old 02-28-2013, 12:52 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if the brackets are in the kits yet, but I do know they're shipping them out to people without them.

That install sounds about right for the time required.

And I'd make the swap for the 17s. Dealers are crying for 20s because they sell more trucks because of the 20s, so if you can get a set of spare 17s plus cash then you're ahead. Also, if you ever get into racing, 17s are cheaper tires to buy then 20s. I personally got my dealership to swap 17s onto my truck right on the lot so I can run my 22s and keep my 17" winter rubber.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:53 AM

Yup, he was pretty much begging me to sell me the rims. So i asked on a trade +$500 and he went for it. Im riding on 22s also and going to use the 17s for winter tires next year since we probably wont see anymore snow here in OK and for when/if i ever get around to the track. I wana see what this baby will do!! I know most rcsb 3.55 with the bully dog are running mid 14s arent they?