DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-20-2013, 01:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram QC
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deepwater Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
tclark is on a distinguished road
Default 60,000 mile service, $&@#

Well, I just got off the phone with the service dept. about getting a price for a 60,000 mile service. They want just shy of $1100. My initial reaction was what the heck, just a little more colorful. I called another service dept. and they wouldn't give me a price. So it looks like I'll just start doing my own maintenance like I used to on my previous vehicles.
Sponsored links
Old 02-20-2013, 03:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 ram 2500
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: flame red
Rep:471
Kcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of light

what all were they saying needs done?

6" BDS lift kit, BMF R.E.P.R, 37" toyo MT, recon cab lights, color matched interior trim, tinted tails, custom headlights, cjc off-road light bar, backrack, afe stage 2 CAI
sponsored by BULLY'S PERFORMANCE
Old 02-20-2013, 05:37 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram QC
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deepwater Pearl
Rep:10
tclark is on a distinguished road

Engine oil and filter, transmission flush, oil and filter, rear diff flush and oil, air filter, spark plugs, and a few other things that are part of their "package deal". I don't think it adds up so I'm just gonna do it myself.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:2008
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

Do it yourself. I did and it saved me a TON of money. The labor rate they charge is unreal.

See my old Mod thread and it's Journey here

Current Mod thread here
Old 02-20-2013, 06:12 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3236
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Do the oil/filter and plugs, but you can leave the tranny and diffs since they really don't need to be changed until 100K miles. Check your air filter, if it's dirty then change it, if not save the $10
Old 02-20-2013, 06:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Read your Owners Manual, starting at Fluids & Capacities, page 488
then Maintenance Schedules, page 492

Unless your are running a taxi, ambulance, tow heavy loads often, etc. you don't need to change transmission fluid or the 2 filters in it, i did just for peace of mind & i wanted to run Royal Purple fluid
I changed the rear end fluid to have Royal Purple fluid & i wanted a cover with a drain plug that is magnetized, dodge covers don't have drain plugs, so you have to pull the cover & then re-install it each & every time. If there is no metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug, why pull the cover off
================================================== =========
60,000 Miles (100,000 km) or 60 Months Maintenance Service Schedule
❏ Change the engine oil and engine oil filter.
❏ Rotate the tires.
❏ Replace the engine air cleaner filter.
❏ Replace the ignition cables (3.7L Engine).
❏ Replace the spark plugs (3.7L and 5.7L Engines).
❏ Inspect the brake linings; replace if necessary.
Change the automatic transmission fluid and filter if using your vehicle for any of the following: police, taxi, fleet, or frequent trailer towing.
Change the transfer case fluid if using your vehicle for any of the following: police, taxi, fleet, or frequent trailer towing.
❏ Flush and replace the engine coolant at 60 months if not done at 102,000 miles (170 000 km).
❏ Inspect the front suspension, tie rod ends and boot seals for cracks or leaks and all parts for damage, wear, improper looseness or end play;
replace if necessary.
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 02-20-2013, 06:24 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport CC 4x4
Color: Red
Rep:74
hemipowerv8 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclark View Post
Engine oil and filter, transmission flush, oil and filter, rear diff flush and oil, air filter, spark plugs, and a few other things that are part of their "package deal". I don't think it adds up so I'm just gonna do it myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclark View Post
Well, I just got off the phone with the service dept. about getting a price for a 60,000 mile service. They want just shy of $1100. My initial reaction was what the heck, just a little more colorful. I called another service dept. and they wouldn't give me a price. So it looks like I'll just start doing my own maintenance like I used to on my previous vehicles.

Well if it were MINE and I was planning to keep the truck BEYOND 100k miles I would do all that but do as much as I can myself...plugs and oil/filter would get done for sure...but honestly the plugs in our trucks are a time consuming job and I may pay to have that done...still everything listed on the 60k service shouldn't run over $800 I'd say unless you are running all Royal Purple fluids front to back...I would try another reputable shop.

Now- the coolant flush, diff and trans flush and new fluid CAN go until 100k miles but if you plan to run the truck to lets say 200k miles I would do all that at 70k and again at 140k...just to be sure you don't shorten the life of any components. If you plan to be out of it around 80k for example...I would do plugs, oil/filter, top fluids off and just check for issues with the others. Period.
All depends on your plans...
Mods: Tint, Line-X spray in, PD emblems, Weathertech mats, Honeycomb grille, Mopar tow hooks, Magnaflow 18" and Y, Bilstein 5100s @ 2.1" & TGC rear spacer .75", Toyo All terrains 35x12.50x20, 5" black tips, BakFlip tonneau cover, 87mm tb
Next: Gorilla lifetime lug nuts, CAI, Diablo tune.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2454
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
Do the oil/filter and plugs, but you can leave the tranny and diffs since they really don't need to be changed until 100K miles. Check your air filter, if it's dirty then change it, if not save the $10
^^^^ What he said, although I have already replaced my diff fluid.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

120,000 Miles (200,000 km) or 120 Months Maintenance Service Schedule
❏ Change the engine oil and engine oil filter.
❏ Rotate the tires.
❏ Replace the engine air cleaner filter.
❏ Replace the ignition cables (3.7L Engine).
❏ Replace the spark plugs (3.7L and 5.7L Engines).
❏ Inspect the brake linings; replace if necessary.
❏ Inspect the CV joints.
❏ Inspect exhaust system.
❏ Inspect the front suspension, tie rod ends and boot seals for cracks or leaks and all parts for damage, wear, improper looseness or end play;
replace if necessary.
Change the automatic transmission fluid and filter(s). this is the first time it reads to change it
❏ Change the transfer case fluid if using your vehicle for any of the following: police, taxi, fleet, or frequent trailer towing.
❏ Replace the accessory drive belt(s).
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 02-20-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:08 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3236
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Remember, there is a difference between factory recommended (minimum requirements for warranty) and dealer recommended (more often so they can make money), and some fluids do NOT need to be changed that often.