DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-20-2013, 03:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 ram crew cab
Trim Level: 1500 crew cab
Color: red
Rep:10
joshuapa is on a distinguished road
Default 2012 ram key fob stuck

Have had numerous times not being able to remove fob from ignition after turning truck off. was told by my local Dodge dealer service manager this is a " NORMAL CONDITION" . The 2nd dealer i took it to said its a " COMMON PROBLEM". And yes i have paperwork stating this in writing. And before anyone states thisI have tried moving shift lever,also turning key on and off. I've seen on this board others having this problem. I recieved a call from a Jeff? from ram that was going to get this problem fixed. So it's been a2weeks since that call and still nothing. Now if they think when my lease expires next Feb. I WILL NOT BE BUYING A RAM. I will look at GM.
Sponsored links
Old 02-20-2013, 03:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram CC 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black (PX8)
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:388
ONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really nice

Yes it's normal to not be able to remove your key if the truck and / or kebfob battery is dead. Otherwise it is not normal. Not that I have read all of the posts on this forum but I don't recall reading any complaints about difficulty removing keyfobs other than from dead batteries.

Last edited by ONOutdoorsman; 02-20-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Service Advisers are trained to say
this is a " NORMAL CONDITION", when they Don't have a effin clue
( i can see the Chrysler Engineering Dept. sitting around the conference table saying, lets make a list of things that we can't fix & we will call them Normal Conditions, lets go to O'Malleys for steak & cocktails )

I would be ok with
its a " COMMON PROBLEM"., at least they are admitting that others have also complained
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 02-20-2013, 04:14 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Rep:11
Kman521 is on a distinguished road

This happened to me once and I have not been able to simulate it again.
I don't know if it was something to do with my timing opening the door while turning the truck off or maybe undoing the seat belt at the same time but anyway when I turned the truck off I could not remove the key fob.
I tried turning the key to on and off, no go.
I tried starting the truck and turning it off again and still no go.
Last attempt I started the truck put it in drive and moved it a couple of feet forward and then when I turned it off the key came out as normal.
No idea what was going on.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:30 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4362
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuapa View Post
Have had numerous times not being able to remove fob from ignition after turning truck off. was told by my local Dodge dealer service manager this is a " NORMAL CONDITION" . The 2nd dealer i took it to said its a " COMMON PROBLEM". And yes i have paperwork stating this in writing. And before anyone states thisI have tried moving shift lever,also turning key on and off. I've seen on this board others having this problem. I recieved a call from a Jeff? from ram that was going to get this problem fixed. So it's been a2weeks since that call and still nothing. Now if they think when my lease expires next Feb. I WILL NOT BE BUYING A RAM. I will look at GM.
Lmao, don't get your house key stuck in your lock or you will have to move
Old 02-20-2013, 04:36 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Hemi express quad
Trim Level: ST express
Color: Grey
Rep:195
RAM EM has a spectacular aura aboutRAM EM has a spectacular aura about

You should buy a Chevy, they don't have ANY problems.

-DS Trinity- Hemifever tuned - 18" Magnaflow - BT catch can - 180 Tstat - 22" SRT10's - 305/45 Nitto 420 - SG 2/4 drop - blacked out heads/tinted tails - dechromed/debadged - 20% tint-
Old 02-20-2013, 04:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

That is the recommended thing to do when the Fob does not come out
restart the vehicle, shift it into any other position, then back to the Park position & remove the Fob
If it doesn't work, then you may have another issue, if you park on level ground
If you are parked on a hill, you may want to set your parking brake before putting it into the Park Position, as recommended in the Owners Manual
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 02-20-2013, 04:50 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Hemi Regular Cab
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:277
GrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the rough

happen to me twice......make sure the shift lever is all the way up in the park position....alittle off and you will not be able to remove the key
Old 02-20-2013, 04:59 PM

Vehicle: 2010 1500 4x4
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:10
Hemiman345 is on a distinguished road

mine does it all the time but it because I switched it off in drive. something about the floor shifter that make me think I'm driving a standard
Old 02-20-2013, 08:42 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Bright White-W7
Rep:139
Hemi N Haw will become famous soon enoughHemi N Haw will become famous soon enough
Smile

Yea it's the same w/ any auto ignition key switch. It's a safety sometimes if the vehicle has too much pressure on the parking pawl or the vehicle wasn't set on it's parking break or if the linkage is a bit out of adjustment you'll find this to be the end result. Nissan told my wife's friend on her 2010 maxima when it was new that it was normal just put your foot out the door & rock it, that should solve the issue! Talk about bull Sh$@! Any way it's a safety measure & in a world where you gotta have "caution Hot beverage" on a cup of coffee to let the person who bought it know they could burn themselves from the exact hot substance they ordered kinda says it all...