DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-13-2013, 09:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 CC
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:38
ILuvaMyTrucka is on a distinguished road
Default DIY Paint Sealant instead of paying Dealer

I ordered a new '13 and instead of paying the dealer an arm and a leg to apply paint sealer I thought I would do it my self.

Any suggestions on good paint sealers?

Things to consider:

1. Ease of use
2. Number of times a year it needs to be applied (don't want to do this every month)
3. Quality
4. Price
Sponsored links
Old 02-13-2013, 10:12 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I bought opti seal (I think that's what it's called) and it's really good, and extremely easy to apply.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:49 AM

Just looked it up and it does sound pretty good. How often do you think it lasts befor you would need to re-apply?

Last edited by ILuvaMyTrucka; 02-13-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:59 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I thought it said 6 months. I only wash my truck about 2 times a year and I apply this after. It works great and it barely uses any material. The little bottle that I bought I have used a handful of times and still have like 3/4 of the bottle left.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:33 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:353
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

There are a number of good sealants on the market. I would suggest that the first thing you do is wash your truck with Dawn soap, using the 2 bucket method, then clay bar your complete truck. Then wash your truck again with a good automotive soap. I know it's new but you will be suprised at the amount of crap that is already on your paint. After you clay bar your truck, check for any small scratches that the clay bar may have left. If you see any scratches us a good polish and polish the scratches out and then you can apply the sealant. You can look at autogeek.net and/or autopia.org. Autogeek sells different products and also compares different brands and gives you a detailed description of the use of these products. Autopia is a professional detailer site that detailers discuss the products they use and why they use them and they also show the results of their work. Personally I use Wolfgang 3.0 sealant. I have had very good luck with it. After I use the sealant I top it with Collinite 845 wax. This combination has worked well for me. A good sealant will last about 6 months and a good wax will last about 60 days. These times depend on things like ,how often you wash your truck, if you park inside or out and the weather conditions where you live.
Everyone will have their favorite that they swear is the best, longest lasting, eaisest and cheapest. The two people on this fourm that have some of the best advise are primo and leadfootluke. The recommendations they make are well founded.
Jay

Last edited by Pull Ya; 02-13-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:47 PM

That process seems much more involved. How many times a year would you do that method?
Old 02-13-2013, 02:47 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:353
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

I am suggesting that by clay barring your truck you will begin with a "clean" surface when you put your sealant and wax on. You will not be putting sealant/wax over the top of a "dirty" surface. It is a lengthy process the first time you do it, but after you have a good coat of sealant and wax on your truck, you can wash it maybe once a week, then use a spray detailer on it and you should be good for about 6 months. Check the surface and see if you have anything like tree sap or other contaminates on your truck and if not you can just wash and then reapply a sealant and wax after about 6 months. I can apply a sealant to my truck in about 1-2 hours. I then let it sit overnight(inside) and then apply the wax which takes about 1-2 hours. As I said the first time is the one that takes some time to complete all the steps, however I have found that a cold 6'er of Coors light makes the day go much better.
Jay
Old 02-13-2013, 02:56 PM

Thanks Jay, it makes allot of sense to start off with the cleanest surface possible. And any steps that involve me drinking beer in the garage and driveway always sounds good to me.

Is there a difference with a sealant that I would get through retail as apposed to what the dealer would put on if I ordered the paint sealant package through them?
Old 02-13-2013, 03:01 PM

Just FYI, and not saying ^ that above info is wrong or anything, as I was advised the same. But I think that's more for getting a perfect surface for best appearance. I don't really think it matters as far as protection. I am only applying sealer to protect my paint, so don't really care if there's a spec of something getting trapped in there. JMO, I don't think that clay barring is a required step, only unless you want the best appearance possible.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:2505
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Paint sealant is a good product to use if you can/want to once or twice a year, so it generally will last 6-months plus depending on any number of factors. Clay baring after washing is the best way to go. Another source for the products you might check out is Griots Garage, they are pricey but work well and easy to use.