DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - News Desk > MOPAR NATION - Dodge Ram Club Regional Chapters! > Dodge Ram Forum CANADA

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-25-2013, 10:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:47
shaner82 is on a distinguished road
Default Traffic ticket in Ontario? Read this

I hear a lot of people who talk about demerit points and think demerit points will result in insurance increases. I also know a lot of people believe that getting a ticket with 0 points means your insurance company won't increase your rates.

So I thought I would clear up the demerit point myth.

If you receive a ticket for 15 km over the speed limit, you end up with a fine of approximately $50, but you do not receive any points.

Your insurance company will view this ticket the exact same way as 35 km over the limit, even though one ticket carries points and the other doesn't.

Insurance companies do NOT care about points and likely don't even know how many points you have. Insurance companies only care about claims, accidents and convictions. Any conviction for a moving violation could cause your rates to increase, regardless of how many points are involved.

So that means when the officer reduces your ticket from 35 over to 15 over, it's not helping you at all as far as insurance is concerned. A conviction is either minor or major, points don't matter.

So keep that in mind the next time you beg the officer to reduce your ticket to 15 over. It's not helping you out as much as you think. 1 conviction isn't usually a big deal, but if you have 2 or more, your insurance company may hammer you, even if you have 0 points.

I just don't want people thinking they can get an unlimited number of 15 over tickets without their insurance being affected. Get 3 or more tickets in a 3 year period, regardless of points, and your insurance company may flat out drop you.
Sponsored links
Old 05-25-2013, 11:05 AM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

^^^ That is some good info. If I might add to this, if you do get a moving violation do not just plead guilty and pay the fine. Just go to any court house in Ontario, tick off not guilty and request a trial. It takes about eight months to get a trial and all this time you have no conviction on your record. When it does come to trial if your lucky the cop won't show up and your off scott free (no demerit points, no fine and no conviction). If he does show up the prosecutor may provide a plea bargain, like plead guilty to a lesser charge that does not effect your insurance.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:06 PM
"Just living the dream"

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn Rambox
Color: Prairie Pearl / White Gold Trim
Rep:1634
Chunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by RansRAM View Post
^^^ That is some good info. If I might add to this, if you do get a moving violation do not just plead guilty and pay the fine. Just go to any court house in Ontario, tick off not guilty and request a trial. It takes about eight months to get a trial and all this time you have no conviction on your record. When it does come to trial if your lucky the cop won't show up and your off scott free (no demerit points, no fine and no conviction). If he does show up the prosecutor may provide a plea bargain, like plead guilty to a lesser charge that does not effect your insurance.
Good info but just to add my two cents....You will find that officers that are required to be in court will more than likely show up now. 1) If you miss court without a reasonable explanation that officer may be subjected to losing hours, 2) depending of the circumstances surrounding the POT (Provincial Offences Ticket) you have witnesses at court that may have taken off a day to attend court. You need to be there (Officer)

Regardless of the amount of the ticket even at 15 over for a 52.50 your insurance will increase. The other side to pleading not guilty. If that officer gave you a break at the roadside and reduced that ticket to say 15 over. Once you get to court depending on the circumstances that officer may elect to have the speed amended and you just might go to trial on the full amount that you were originally travelling. That would not be a good day all around...... SO with that said....Take care and stay safe.....

Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!

Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES

"MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SITE"
Old 05-28-2013, 12:43 AM
Stickers add Horsepower

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2793
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

I will just try to stick to not getting caught again -.-..My truck already draws extra attention.. No need to give them more reasons to give me a ticket...

And a question regarding tinted plate covers.. If you are ticketed for them.. Is it true if you go to station within 24 hours with the covers removed.. The ticket can be thrown out? I have heard of a few people pull this off.

I always keep my covers clean and they are very easy to read through.. Haven't had any issues yet with the police (knock on wood).
Tow mirrors up for the haters
Old 05-28-2013, 02:05 AM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: '15 Ram 1500 Longhorn EcoD
Trim Level: CC, 6'4", 3.92, LSD
Color: Granite Crystal
Rep:1787
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

I always take my tickets to court and never plead guilty and yes, Shane, you are 100% correct about the way the insurance companies work in premium increase.
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 06-01-2013, 01:37 AM
"Just living the dream"

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn Rambox
Color: Prairie Pearl / White Gold Trim
Rep:1634
Chunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Hemi Pride View Post
I will just try to stick to not getting caught again -.-..My truck already draws extra attention.. No need to give them more reasons to give me a ticket...

And a question regarding tinted plate covers.. If you are ticketed for them.. Is it true if you go to station within 24 hours with the covers removed.. The ticket can be thrown out? I have heard of a few people pull this off.

I always keep my covers clean and they are very easy to read through.. Haven't had any issues yet with the police (knock on wood).
Yeah there is no longer the 24 hours.....Basically it a ticket for obstructing your plate....I will have a look and provide you the section under the Highway Traffic Act.....

Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!

Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES

"MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SITE"
Old 06-01-2013, 11:29 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkem View Post
Good info but just to add my two cents....You will find that officers that are required to be in court will more than likely show up now. 1) If you miss court without a reasonable explanation that officer may be subjected to losing hours, 2) depending of the circumstances surrounding the POT (Provincial Offences Ticket) you have witnesses at court that may have taken off a day to attend court. You need to be there (Officer)

Regardless of the amount of the ticket even at 15 over for a 52.50 your insurance will increase. The other side to pleading not guilty. If that officer gave you a break at the roadside and reduced that ticket to say 15 over. Once you get to court depending on the circumstances that officer may elect to have the speed amended and you just might go to trial on the full amount that you were originally travelling. That would not be a good day all around...... SO with that said....Take care and stay safe.....
So glad it worked for me My ticket was related to a left turn from Harbour to Young that use to be Legal.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:15 AM
Stickers add Horsepower

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2793
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkem View Post
Yeah there is no longer the 24 hours.....Basically it a ticket for obstructing your plate....I will have a look and provide you the section under the Highway Traffic Act.....
Awh.. Well I keep my tinted covers always clean as long with my tails.. No matter if my truck is spotless or covered in mud, and have the Hamilton mountain police station 5 mins from my house with speed traps always set up where hwy6 turns to upper james, and have not had any trouble yet (knock on wood). Not like i'm driving with rusty out plates or driving recklessly.
Tow mirrors up for the haters
Old 06-02-2013, 02:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi 8-speed
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Rep:883
RedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to behold

Over my many years of driving I have gathered more than my fair share of tickets for speeding, and have lost it several times too. Apparently I just can't seem to grow up??

Anyway, I have paid more for insurance than most of you could even imagine, but I have always been able to get it.

Facility insurance isn't a great place to be, but if you pay the piper you can keep your wheels on the road.

I typically don't fight my tickets as it's my own fault, but I certainly can see why people do.

The past 3 years I have taken a new approach in driving and have only been caught once. I suppose I should have fought it, but I was too lazy and in the wrong.

Now that I know that even 15 over will still burn me, I will have to rethink this whole thing! LOL......
Old 06-02-2013, 04:55 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I am down here in California

I got a ticket for NOT having my Headlights on in a Headlight Safety Zone
they must be on 24/7 in these areas
I went to court & told the Judge/Magistrate that i had just bought a 2009 Ram & believed that NEW vehicles had HEADLIGHTS ON when you started it up, just like every GM product that i have owned
The Judge reduced the fine from $250 down to $50 because of Chrysler's thinking

My Insurance Company still jacked my rate up $1500 USD a year
just as if i had run a STOP SIGN
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle