DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-23-2013, 12:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 RAM
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
vman1 is on a distinguished road
Default Brake rotor question

Any of you guys have an idea how could I find out specification on front and rear brake rotors ? Meaning original thickness from factory.
The minimum is stamped on the rotors.

The dealer machined them and installed new pads (due to their screw up)
and I want to find out what thickness did they have to start with.
The truck only had 7800 miles when this was done so there would be minimal wear just from braking.
I measured them with caliper and the rear rotors are only 1mm from the minimum thickness. (can't see the stamp on the front so I have to take he wheel of) So obviously next time I will need new brakes they will sell me new rotors, because they won't be able to machine them.
Perhaps they machined them close to minimum intentionally (which wouldn't surprise me too much) or they aren't thick enough to begin with.

But where could I find out what the thickness of new rotor from factory is without having to buy one and measuring it ??
Thanks for any input and info
Sponsored links
Old 02-23-2013, 01:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2657
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

this is all i could find online

2012 Dodge Ram 1500 ST Reg Cab 4x4
# Front Brake Rotor Diam x Thickness (in) : 13.2 x 1.1
# Rear Brake Rotor Diam x Thickness (in) : 13.8 x 0.9

i suggest the you call the Parts Dept. at the dealer
it may be on their computer or you could ask them if they could find out for you
they don't need to know why you are asking
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 02-23-2013 at 01:24 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:21 AM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram rt
Trim Level: rt
Color: brilliant black pearl
Rep:1061
dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

im out of work tore my shoulder but if you dont have this info by the time i go back ill get it or maybe call a dodge dealer
Old 02-23-2013, 01:23 AM

dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

First off 7800 and the turned them WTF were you getting a pulsating in your brake pedal if not then wtf again. And if they are 1mm from min id demand new rotors thats b/s its under warranty it should have new ones on it
Old 02-23-2013, 01:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
this is all i could find online

2012 Dodge Ram 1500 ST Reg Cab 4x4
# Front Brake Rotor Diam x Thickness (in) : 13.2 x 1.1
# Rear Brake Rotor Diam x Thickness (in) : 13.8 x 0.9
Thanks, I found the same thing but wasn't sure if that's accurate.
The minimum thickness of the rear stamped on the rotor is 20.4mm=0.8"
My measurement after the break job is 21.7mm = 0.85" on the rears.
And 27.8mm = 1.08" on the front but I don't know the minimum yet.
Perhaps they aren't too thick to begin with so they only can take one machining and then they need to be replaced. So I get double screwed from this dealer. Of course the next time they won't be able to machine them and sell me new rotors.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:39 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2657
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I think that i would be asking why the rotors were machined at that mileage
If they were warped, i would be asking how it happened
I would be raising a little bit of dust
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 02-23-2013, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
I think that i would be asking why the rotors were machined at that mileage
If they were warped, i would be asking how it happened
I would be raising a little bit of dust
ya thats what i was getting at screw turning them you tell them you want new ones
Old 02-23-2013, 01:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgert View Post
First off 7800 and the turned them WTF were you getting a pulsating in your brake pedal if not then wtf again. And if they are 1mm from min id demand new rotors thats b/s its under warranty it should have new ones on it
WTF is exactly what I told them too
Their response was that they only take of very little material. Blah blah blah.
The reason they did the brakes was that I brought my truck in for oil change (cause I want them bastards to have record of oil changes for warranty in case) and they also offered to rotate tires. In the process they scratched two of my rims. And the second day my brakes started squealing. They did not make a sound until then from day I bought it new in June. It was coming from the rears as far as I could tell.
Came home and double checked lug nuts (my habit cause I don't trust them and in the past I drove off from service with one wheel completely loose)
Two were so super tight that I couldn't move them with torque wrench set to 150 (factory specs is 120 according to mechanic at Dodge) and three were loose. So I believe the uneven torque caused the rotor to warp a little and that caused vibration and then noise, etc, etc.
I told the service manager and he said they will take care of it and order new rims (that one month later I still don't have) and that they will also fix brakes. So this is how this all BS started.
Yes I want them to now replace the rotors all around or at least pay for them and I will have someone more professional install it.
Then the monkey that worked on the brakes put so much grease on the caliper sliders that after 100 miles I have grease splashed all over the rims.
WTF ?
Old 02-23-2013, 01:50 AM

Well dealing with dodge dealers screw the service manager you demand to talk to his boss then tell him whats going on and if you dont get a response call dodge , or go to a different dealer
Old 02-23-2013, 01:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgert View Post
ya thats what i was getting at screw turning them you tell them you want new ones
I called Chrysler about it and they won't work with me either.
They said that the dealer replaced pads and machined rotors under warranty
and that they don't know what caused it. So it is like my word against their word now. Work customer doesn't mean much to them.
Chrysler rep told me today that they spoke to the dealership and dealer told them that there was a problem with brakes. They somehow forgot to mention to Chrysler that I didn't have this problem until the day they rotated my tires.
In my opinion if some idiot cannot be careful with air wrench enough not to scratch my wheels, why would he care how he torques the damn lug nuts.
Yet he still found time to mess with my radio. That's no big deal it just sort of ads to the whole picture of how they treat customers vehicles.