DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-23-2013, 01:55 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 RAM
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
vman1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgert View Post
Well dealing with dodge dealers screw the service manager you demand to talk to his boss then tell him whats going on and if you dont get a response call dodge , or go to a different dealer
So what you guys are saying I should not care whatever thickness the rotors have and just demand brand new rotors ? I mean yes that is what I believe should be done too. Just wanted other peoples opinion.
Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 02-23-2013, 02:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram rt
Trim Level: rt
Color: brilliant black pearl
Rep:1061
dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman1 View Post
So what you guys are saying I should not care whatever thickness the rotors have and just demand brand new rotors ? I mean yes that is what I believe should be done too. Just wanted other peoples opinion.
Thanks.
umm hell ya its a new truck should have new rotors
Old 02-23-2013, 02:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Or if I take it in the same dealer five more times and let them screw things up it may qualify for lemon
Old 02-23-2013, 08:31 AM
"Just living the dream"

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn Rambox
Color: Prairie Pearl / White Gold Trim
Rep:1634
Chunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant future

WOW, just from reading this my blood pressure went up.....Your rotors should of be replaced and you should of been looked after for the damage that was caused to your rims. I don't know if there are any other dealers around you, but I would make sure that I never step a foot in that dealership again.....Hopefully they get you your rims shortly.....Keep us updated on how things go.....

Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!

Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES

"MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SITE"
Old 02-23-2013, 09:55 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
WTF is exactly what I told them too
Their response was that they only take of very little material. Blah blah blah.
The reason they did the brakes was that I brought my truck in for oil change (cause I want them bastards to have record of oil changes for warranty in case) and they also offered to rotate tires. In the process they scratched two of my rims. And the second day my brakes started squealing. They did not make a sound until then from day I bought it new in June. It was coming from the rears as far as I could tell.
Came home and double checked lug nuts (my habit cause I don't trust them and in the past I drove off from service with one wheel completely loose)
Two were so super tight that I couldn't move them with torque wrench set to 150 (factory specs is 120 according to mechanic at Dodge) and three were loose. So I believe the uneven torque caused the rotor to warp a little and that caused vibration and then noise, etc, etc.
I told the service manager and he said they will take care of it and order new rims (that one month later I still don't have) and that they will also fix brakes. So this is how this all BS started.
Yes I want them to now replace the rotors all around or at least pay for them and I will have someone more professional install it.
Then the monkey that worked on the brakes put so much grease on the caliper sliders that after 100 miles I have grease splashed all over the rims.
WTF ?
This is why I have always done all my maintenance on all my vehicles. I document everything and have never had an issue with any dealer repairs. Most Dealers have the kid of the shop do stuff like rotate tires etc, most kids no nothing. Sorry to hear your having all these issues due to a dealer. Hope it all gets fixed for ya, and it don't take months to get Rims.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Since picture is worth thousand word, take a look how did professionals machined the rotor. Note the groove near the outside of the rotor.
This is normally caused by vibration on the brake lathe. I used to work on cars at a shop for 8 years and was ASE certified for brakes, I don't tell dealer that because they think you are trying to be too smart with them. But thats how I know why I have the groove.
So now one rotor is junk because the smooth it out they would have to machine it again and that would bring it down bellow minimum thickness.
And it tells you how much the service care about properly doing brake job.
Or any job in fact.
Second pic shows the splashes of grease on the rims. All 4 have it.
Brakes from factory don't have that. IF the brakes are done properly, they don't need grease all over the sliders (very light coat of high temp lubricant if any)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brake job 1.jpg (42.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Brake job 2.jpg (83.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 02-23-2013, 10:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
This is why I have always done all my maintenance on all my vehicles. I document everything and have never had an issue with any dealer repairs. Most Dealers have the kid of the shop do stuff like rotate tires etc, most kids no nothing. Sorry to hear your having all these issues due to a dealer. Hope it all gets fixed for ya, and it don't take months to get Rims.
They are suppose to have the rims next week. Why is it taking this long is because they first decided to send the rims to be re-finished which came out very bad. Rims looked like something you take down south of the border for cheap job to be done. And they couldn't even balance them right when they put them back on the truck. I just drove 1000 miles on a trip with very "pleasant" shaking. they don't shake at 65 the dealer could argue, but where I went the speed limit is 80. And if they balance them right they won't shake at even 100. Correct ? Or am I being too picky like one of the service advisors told me. Rude bastard.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:11 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 CC 4X4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black
Rep:71
topgun will become famous soon enough

I don't think I'd ever go back to that dealership for anything. Could happen anywhere though, not brand specific.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:29 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They are suppose to have the rims next week. Why is it taking this long is because they first decided to send the rims to be re-finished which came out very bad. Rims looked like something you take down south of the border for cheap job to be done. And they couldn't even balance them right when they put them back on the truck. I just drove 1000 miles on a trip with very "pleasant" shaking. they don't shake at 65 the dealer could argue, but where I went the speed limit is 80. And if they balance them right they won't shake at even 100. Correct ? Or am I being too picky like one of the service advisors told me. Rude bastard.
you are correct, at 80 there should be no vibrations, there are many that state they have this vibration around 70-80mph and it goes away below or above this speed, you might also have a tire where sometimes the problem is neither balance or run-out. It is radial force variation (RFV). This is the amount of change in stiffness of the sidewall and footprint when a load is placed against a tire. Subtle differences in the position of the cords and belts in a tire's construction can create stiff spots that make the tire roll unevenly. The stiff spots act like run out to cause vibrations at various speeds. But still, my trucks tires are balanced and feel nothing up to 100mph. But I had to go to a truck tire balancer who had the newest of machines to get them 100%. Anyways, I would get my mag's from theres guys and go somewhere else.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
you are correct, at 80 there should be no vibrations, there are many that state they have this vibration around 70-80mph and it goes away below or above this speed, you might also have a tire where sometimes the problem is neither balance or run-out. It is radial force variation (RFV). This is the amount of change in stiffness of the sidewall and footprint when a load is placed against a tire. Subtle differences in the position of the cords and belts in a tire's construction can create stiff spots that make the tire roll unevenly. The stiff spots act like run out to cause vibrations at various speeds. But still, my trucks tires are balanced and feel nothing up to 100mph. But I had to go to a truck tire balancer who had the newest of machines to get them 100%. Anyways, I would get my mag's from theres guys and go somewhere else.
Yes I agree with you 100% and I am aware of the possibility having tire problem. However I did not have any vibration prior this dealer laid their hands on my truck.
This morning I also noticed that they mounted the tires backwards. Thst shouldn't cause too many problems as they are bi-directional but since I drove on them for 8000 miles I believe they were "broken in" in that direction and therefore fine. I do believe that is important to rotate tires for semi even wear, but only front and back and not cross like it used to be done in old days.
Of course I am not going back to this dealership with exception to get my rims (hope they will match) and demand to rework the brakes again with new rotors and factory pads. Ideally I would just pick up the parts and do it myself. At least I wouldn't over torque my lug nuts like they did AGAIN

I just emailed the service mgr with my requests and will post his response once (or if) I get one.

Thanks guys for all your inputs.