DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-24-2013, 03:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '13 1500 CC 4x4 HEMI 8spd
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
domesticman is on a distinguished road
Default New Ram Owner - Sport or Laramie Longhorn? HELP

Hey all,

I'm a new-to-be Ram owner coming this week. I've sold my fully modded Toyota Camry but I miss having a pick-up and that little toys' days are over. Ford's asking too much and their fuel mileage is still garbage despite the marketing BS for the ecoboost gimick.

Anyhow, I'm debating big time between the Sport and the Laramie Longhorn. I've driven the Sport and the Laramie and the air ride had to be a must in the Sport if I went that way simply because driving on the construction sites and when I go hunting, that adjustment in height is really practical.

So I've pretty much upgraded the Sport in all areas aside from the posi and higher axle ratio. It'll have everything that the Laramie Longhorn has except for rear heated seats, chrome grill and the beautiful 2-tone interior. My ticket price is $53,329.19 TAX IN in Canadian dollars. I'm putting $16,000 down bringing my monthly payment to $688.81 over 60 months. Interest cost accounts for $3,917.41 of that over the 5 years. The only difference between the Sport and the Laramie Longhorn is $2,200.

So the question remains to all of you and still myself; may as well jump to the Longhorn? The sales rep at Dodge knows me and it's a "family rate", a damn good one too I'd say.

Does anyone here find that certain upgrades are totally unnecessary? I could remove some upgrades which would bring my payment down but I'd really love to hear the feedback. I'm having an incredibly hard time picking here because both trucks are gorgeous.

My only reservation is maybe the Sport could play my part better since I'm in my mid-20's whereas the Longhorn may fit the role of someone more established? slight older?
Sponsored links
Old 02-24-2013, 03:21 PM

^^ I forgot to mention both trucks would be the 5.7L HEMI, 8-speed.

I'm also hoping that the 8-speed smooth shifting and the new cylinder cut-off feature can really help in fuel economy. Tank is the 101L and I'll be filling on Regular gas.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:22 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport CC 4x4
Color: Red
Rep:74
hemipowerv8 will become famous soon enough

I personally prefer the sport and have had a Sport Ram since 2004...the 2013 I have on order is my 4th in a row. I don't like all the chrome on the Laramie or the extra options for me are not necessary so it was an easy decision.
So much you can do aftermarket these days that if you decide you want rear heated seats and a different grill I would bet it's available and many other options. My 2 cents...
Mods: Tint, Line-X spray in, PD emblems, Weathertech mats, Honeycomb grille, Mopar tow hooks, Magnaflow 18" and Y, Bilstein 5100s @ 2.1" & TGC rear spacer .75", Toyo All terrains 35x12.50x20, 5" black tips, BakFlip tonneau cover, 87mm tb
Next: Gorilla lifetime lug nuts, CAI, Diablo tune.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:28 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2463
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowerv8 View Post
I personally prefer the sport and have had a Sport Ram since 2004...the 2013 I have on order is my 4th in a row. I don't like all the chrome on the Laramie or the extra options for me are not necessary so it was an easy decision.
So much you can do aftermarket these days that if you decide you want rear heated seats and a different grill I would bet it's available and many other options. My 2 cents...
Love my sport and also don't like all the chrome and the sports come nicely equipped plus as you have stated you can add on what you want. My only regret is the gears, I would have liked the 3:92 posi rear end.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:30 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: 4X4 CC Sport
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:39
boomer135 is on a distinguished road

My honest opinion is do a lot of searching and leg work. Find something well equipped and save yourself thousands

If the right deal happens to be a Larmie or sport let the deal be your decision.

If you cant find the Air Suspension on the desired model. The savings will buy you a better suspension than what Ram currently offers, and still have $ left over.

I would never pay 50k for a non diesel non heavy duty truck.

I didn't want to pay 48k for a 1500 put when i did some searching and got it for 38k i pulled the trigger. I don't like all the chrome on the Larmie, so I went with the cleaner looking sport.

2013 Sport 4x4 CC w/ Nav, leather package, convenience group, remote start security group ,back up camera, anti spin, sport premium group, sport hood, class IV hitch, spray in bedliner. 38k plus Tax tag title, 12k for my trade 7k down =350.31 per month for me
MODS: PE Full Metal Jackrabbit, BT Catch can, Magnaflow 18", Vararam, Bullydog Hemi Tuner, Zone 1.5 BL, Bilstein 5100's @2.8, TG 1.5 rear coil Spacers, Fuel 20x10 -12OS, Toyo OC MT 315/60R20, Painted BW Pocket Flares http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread....88#post1344588

Last edited by boomer135; 02-24-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:32 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 4x4 CC 5'7" Rambox
Trim Level: Longhorn/8 Speed/Air
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:17
Ford Apostate is on a distinguished road

If you want the luxury of the Longhorn but prefer the styling of the Sport, the Laramie Limited might better suit you if you can wait for them to come out.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer135 View Post
My honest opinion is do a lot of searching and leg work. Find something well equipped and save yourself 9 grand.

If the right deal happens to be a Larmie or sport let the deal be your decision.

If your save money and cant find the Air Suspension the savings will buy you a better suspension than what Ram currently offers, and still have $ left over.

I would never pay 50k for a non diesel non heavy duty truck.

I didn't want to pay 48k for a 1500 put when i did some searching and got it for 38k i pulled the trigger. I don't like all the chrome on the Larmie, so I went with the cleaner looking sport.
I see what you're saying but nowadays, a non-diesel, non-heavy duty truck runs for $40-50k anyway. I've done a ton of research, looking, etc and I am leaning more towards the Sport which I've disclosed the price on so considering it's $53k tax in for everything including side steps, ram boxes, tonneau cover and all, it's not too shabby.

My real deeper investigating is all of the other micro options and how it's benefited others or not. Thanks for your input as well though, brother.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Apostate View Post
If you want the luxury of the Longhorn but prefer the styling of the Sport, the Laramie Limited might better suit you if you can wait for them to come out.
Great suggestion there, Ford Apostate.

I think the Sport may tailor to me a bit more in terms of overall looks. That $2,200 difference still brings my monthly payments higher so it's not a breeze in a sense.

Before I secure the deal (deposit already made), I still have the option to alter my upgrades so I'm inclined about what others think about them.

Keep the posts coming!!!
Old 02-24-2013, 06:41 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Color: Black
Rep:35
Zixxer is on a distinguished road

I had a Longhorn and traded it for a Sport. I love the Sport so much more and I added a 2" lift and custom leather interior. The interior was only $750.00 and I got to pick any color, style, thread, logo, etc.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:10 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie 4X4 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Laramie Hemi 8 Speed
Color: Maximum Steel Met.
Rep:25
kxlexus is on a distinguished road

You just have to decide what you like. I prefer chrome over plastic, but thats me. The Laramie seats are a lot nicer than the seats in a sport.