DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Bix is on a distinguished road
Default Daytime Running Light Conversion Question

Hi all,

I want to use the bright filament on the signal/park light as my DRL much like the Toyota Tundra and other late model cars.

Using the signal bulb filament (especially if converted to LED) is soooo much easier on the electrical system and saves headlight bulb life.

I did this conversion on my second gen diesel out of necessity when I wired up a Sport Headlamp conversion to power bulbs direct to battery using relays. By doing that, I lost essential DRL's (Canada) and used the signal lights to get around that.

The fix was pretty straight forward with a wire tap for signal and a jumper to "fool" the high beam indicator. The signal tap went to a DRL module for a late model Mustang and it was beautiful. Fully automatic and legal.

My question is, has anyone done similar to a late model Ram? I have a 2012 and understand the lighting circuitry is now managed through an ECM. Anyone know of a plug n play kit? I don't mind doing some wire cutting but would rather just plug things in.

Comments/advice welcome.

Cheers

Bix
Sponsored links
Old 08-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Bump,

Anyone try this or have the knowledge?

thx,

Bix
Old 01-26-2015, 09:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeghTheHun
hey bud, I found a post you made about you saying you made your signal light stay on all the time as a Daytime Running Light. I would like to do the same as I have hids as well. Could you please explain what you did to make that work? Does the signal light still function properly? Thanks
Vegh,

Couldn't PM you with a low count so hopefully you see this and have your answer

Converting the RAM signals to DRL's is easy. Killing the stock DRL's is the hard part and one I have not yet figured out with the exception of using the Bullydog Hemi Tuner which is supposed to do that.

For the signal lights, I used this

WEB-DRL1M5 1 39.99 39.99
05-09 MUSTANG DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHT MODULE

available at www.latemodelrestoration.com

The unit simply splices into signal and park leads with a power and keyed power lead. Easy-Peasy.

I had to ground out my park brake switch to kill the stock DRL's but the module takes over the rest. Lights up the signal lamps as DRL's and maintains the turn signals just fine.

You have the option to wire such that when turn signal is on, the opposite lamp goes out or, it stays on. your choice.

Running this two years on my truck and four years on a previous one, never a problem.

Good luck! and if you ever come across a solution to kill the OEM DRL on a 2012 RAM, let a guy know please.

Cheers,

Bix
Old 01-29-2015, 10:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
VeghTheHun is on a distinguished road

I will try and PM you
Old 01-30-2015, 02:00 PM

Vehicle: 2015 Ram 1500 4x4 quad cab
Trim Level: Express
Color: Granite Crystal Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
JumpSteady is on a distinguished road

I believe I read that some vehicles not equipped with DRLs, it's simply a matter of having the dealer do a flash to the computer, selecting a Canadian or DRL option. Not 100% if I am correct here but makes me wonder if the same can be done to disable some cars with DRLs.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:52 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2657
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

The Canadian flash was tried & failed to make DRLs work

Note:
DRLs will not work while the vehicle is in Park or the Emergency Brake is in use

I read that IF you can talk your dealership into adding a Sales Code & flashing it to work is an option, they have to get a OK from someone above the dealership level

The Sales Code are found under HEADLAMPS on the Code list
Sales Code all.docx.pdf modified 5/22/2014 8:05 pm
click on post #20 to view this http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=175138&page=2

LMK
DAYTIME RUNNING HEADLAMPS, HIGH BEAM
LS
DAYTIME RUNNING LAMP SYSTEMS

LM1
DAYTIME RUNNING HEADLAMPS, LOW BEAM
LS

LM5
DAYTIME RUNNING HEADLAMPS, DEDICATED
LS

__________________________________________________ ____________
this is what someone posted during a discussion on DRLs last year

It's probably the same as the Challengers, you do not have to change the country code.

You can use the StarScan, StarMobile (which is basically starscan on the laptop), or WiiTech (which is the latest scan tool, laptop driven, 100x faster than starscan). The StarScan is being phased out, but anyways.

StarScan: ECU View--->TIPM/CGW ---> Misc Functions --->Enable DRL - follow prompts. Check the status of the DRL and see if its ENABLED. I missed it the first time because I was looking for "Daytime Running Lights" but its actually "DRL" in the scan tool

The truck has to go into gear before they come on after they are enabled. The above is the Challenger procedure..
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 01-30-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:43 AM
Ram Ham

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1475
KA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bix View Post
Vegh,

Couldn't PM you with a low count so hopefully you see this and have your answer

Converting the RAM signals to DRL's is easy. Killing the stock DRL's is the hard part and one I have not yet figured out with the exception of using the Bullydog Hemi Tuner which is supposed to do that.

For the signal lights, I used this

WEB-DRL1M5 1 39.99 39.99
05-09 MUSTANG DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHT MODULE

available at www.latemodelrestoration.com

The unit simply splices into signal and park leads with a power and keyed power lead. Easy-Peasy.

I had to ground out my park brake switch to kill the stock DRL's but the module takes over the rest. Lights up the signal lamps as DRL's and maintains the turn signals just fine.

You have the option to wire such that when turn signal is on, the opposite lamp goes out or, it stays on. your choice.

Running this two years on my truck and four years on a previous one, never a problem.

Good luck! and if you ever come across a solution to kill the OEM DRL on a 2012 RAM, let a guy know please.

Cheers,

Bix
So, if I'm understanding you correctly...
you had highbeams set as DLRs
you wanted to change DRL function to turn signal bulbs
and you were able to achieve this with the process you described so now your turn signal bulbs are set as DLRs
Correct??
Old 02-08-2015, 09:32 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 CC
Trim Level: Laramie Crew
Color: Western Brown two tone (Hershey Bar)
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:39
jlc41 is on a distinguished road

Am in the same boat. I would like my turn signals to be my DRL's. But my dealer can't seem to figure it out. I will try to contact another dealer to get it done.
tint, drop in bed liner, Avs window shades, Raptor bed rails, Dee Zee tail gate damper, Genos cabin air filter, Bak Roll-x cover, Weather tech mud flaps, Recon Xtrem tailgate bar, Moroso catch can, DoMore Slide Step, 5/16 Dual pin stripe, Reese lighted hitch cover, Master lock for hitch receiver, Truxedo bed lites, Hunter SS bull bar, Road Runner embroidered head rests, Plasticolor rear flaps with metal Ram logo, Mopar sill plates.