DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-25-2013, 09:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 dodge ram 2500
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 488ci (8.0L) LA V10 300 hp 450lb/ft
Rep:24
95dodgeV10 is on a distinguished road
Default cummins blowby

Iv got an 01 cummins that between unexpectedly running very low on oil and not knowing it and very possible poor maintenance by previous owners is showing signs of wear. iv got excessive blowby or at least what i consider excessive and was wanting some input if its possibly something "easier" in the cylinder head such as valve guides or something more involved as in piston rings. Im not real familiar with the cummins yet so im not sure what we be the easiest to wipeout due to the previously listed problems. thanks for any input fingers crossed i dont feel like doing a full rebuild any time soon.
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2013, 03:22 AM

Vehicle: '12 ram 3500
Trim Level: laramie limited
Color: mineral grey
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:29
scrappy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95dodgeV10 View Post
Iv got an 01 cummins that between unexpectedly running very low on oil and not knowing it and very possible poor maintenance by previous owners is showing signs of wear. iv got excessive blowby or at least what i consider excessive and was wanting some input if its possibly something "easier" in the cylinder head such as valve guides or something more involved as in piston rings. Im not real familiar with the cummins yet so im not sure what we be the easiest to wipeout due to the previously listed problems. thanks for any input fingers crossed i dont feel like doing a full rebuild any time soon.
how bad is the blowby? take the oil cap off and with the engine running set the oil cap on the hole(don't thread in) does it stay or get blown off?
does it have a miss? how many miles. what air filter is on it?
could be rings, scored cylinder(s) or a hole in a piston(s) nothing else will cause pressure in the crankcase.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:11 AM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black on Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:44
gusman is on a distinguished road

Pull the intercooler hose off of the intercooler and see if you have signs of blowby in there. It could be as simple as you needing a new turbo, without getting into the engine itself. My buddy has an 04 dmax LLY that was "losing oil", so I went under and yanked the boot off and she was dripping oil pretty good. New turbo and has been holding oil ever since. No more blue-ish smoke on start up either..
Old 02-28-2013, 09:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L HO) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 245hp 505lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:19
MERF-09 is on a distinguished road

I have an 2001 first oil leak was the Vacuum pump/power steering pump seal at the crank case it leaked pretty good but I couldn't tell if it was the crank case over flow bottle or the vacuum pump seal so I did the overflow bottle buy pass & Vacuum pump seal problem fixed.
next oil leak was the tappet cover gasket & them I had to re-torque the oil pan bolts these are some the leaks I have had over the years that made a significant loss in oil I now have 301,000 miles on it with no blow-by.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 dodge ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:10
Mike Holmen is on a distinguished road

What engine oil are you using? I would do a compression test and a leak down test. That would tell you the condition of the engine. Typically the mains/rod bearings would see the most wear from the lack of oil. There are piston oil cooler nozzles that shoot oil at the bottom of the piston. What oil pressure pressure? Was there any bearing material in the filter and in the oil?

Lots of things cause low cylinder pressure, the cummins VP engine have cracking issues between the exhaust/intake valves. I've replaced my head on my 02 truck a few times.

Usually if you have any piston damage, you can hear it and the truck will be hard starting. I've built a bunch of these engine over the years and they are a very easy engine to build up.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:30 PM

Vehicle: 1995 dodge ram 2500
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 488ci (8.0L) LA V10 300 hp 450lb/ft
Rep:24
95dodgeV10 is on a distinguished road

im pretty sure its worn rings cause im pretty sure the 1st owner ran the crap out of the truck. to answer all questions i have a volant oiled air filter, i run royal purple oil, truck holds 50 psi oil pressure pretty much all the time, and it has 192000 miles on it. it doesnt have so much blowby to blow the oil cap off atleast not at idle but it blows enough smoke out the crankcase vent iv had people at stop lights inform me my truck is smoking (-_-) and depending on wind direction you can see a decent cloud rise out from under the truck. Enough oil gets out of the crankcase vent that it leaves about a tennis ball size spot of oil every time i park. no major knocks (other than the normal diesel clatter) no miss fires, and doesnt blow very much blueish smoke that i can tell apart from the puff of black smoke when it starts. i wouldnt be against doing a rebuild if i could do a basic rebuild but i know myself and id want to pour money into better parts.