Truck wont pass emissions. O2 and Cat "not ready" - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > LD RAM - Ram 1500 Forum > LD RAM - General Discussion

Notices

LD RAM - General Discussion RAM 1500 General Chat. Please post your tech questions in the HELP Zone!

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 02-27-2013, 01:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Rep:10
persuazion is on a distinguished road
Default Truck wont pass emissions. O2 and Cat "not ready"

Hey guys this is getting frustrating. I have a 2008 Ram Hemi that wont pass emissions because of the O2 and Cat sensors reading not ready when they hook it up. I did have the battery changed out, but that was back in Nov of last year. Im sure the drive cycle would have completed by now. At first I thought it failed because the car wasn't warmed up enough so I took it out on the highway and brought it back to the place the 2nd time and still failed. No check engine lights at all. Where do I start?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 01:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:452
hydrex is a glorious beacon of lighthydrex is a glorious beacon of lighthydrex is a glorious beacon of lighthydrex is a glorious beacon of lighthydrex is a glorious beacon of light

Take it to the dealer. Dodge has to warrantee the emissions system for a hell of a lot of miles. Check your owners manual, it will tell you how many miles, 150,000 rings a bell. I drove my Dodge Magnum thru deep water with around 150,000 miles and killed the o2 sensors. Dealer fixed no charge.
Inertia Spartan + cam, Circle D 3,000 stall ,Sonnax line pressure booster, MagHytec 68RE pan,and differential cover, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Rancho 9000's, Helwig rear sway bar,3:92's, extra rear leaf,Line-X Bedliner,GY Armortracs, 245,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 02-27-2013, 01:33 PM

Vehicle: 2016 Ram Ecodiesel 2 whl drive
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2929
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Some auto parts stores will use a OBD11 tester on your vehicle & read any stored codes
Once you find out what codes are stored, you can go from there

I believe that the Emissions Warranty is for 5 years

Old 02-27-2013, 07:41 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 5.7L Hemi
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:34
muddy53 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by persuazion View Post
Hey guys this is getting frustrating. I have a 2008 Ram Hemi that wont pass emissions because of the O2 and Cat sensors reading not ready when they hook it up. I did have the battery changed out, but that was back in Nov of last year. Im sure the drive cycle would have completed by now. At first I thought it failed because the car wasn't warmed up enough so I took it out on the highway and brought it back to the place the 2nd time and still failed. No check engine lights at all. Where do I start?
I agree you should call the dealer. Most Emissions parts have a longer warranty. Like the OBD2, computer is warrantied for up to 8 years. Your manual should give the specifics. Good Luck with your repair.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:48 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 3500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Maximum Steel Matallic
Rep:62
crabjoe will become famous soon enough

There's certain drive cycles that must be done to get the sensors to show ready... I actually saw a Ram TSB on it, that gave the drive cycle, but I can't remember where I had seen it.

You could try this... It's from the aa1car site.

RUNNING AN OBDII DRIVE CYCLE

Suppose you have "fixed" an emissions problem on an OBDII-equipped vehicle. How can you check your work? By performing what is called an "OBDII drive cycle."

The purpose of the OBDII drive cycle is to run all of the onboard diagnostics. The drive cycle should be performed after you have erased any trouble codes from the PCM memory, or after the battery has been disconnected. Running through the drive cycle sets all the system monitors so that subsequent faults can be detected.

The OBDII drive cycle begins with a cold start (coolant temperature below 122 degrees F and the coolant and air temperature sensors within 11 degrees of one another).
NOTE: The ignition key must not be on prior to the cold start otherwise the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.

1. As soon as the engine starts, idle the engine in drive for two and a half minutes with the A/C and rear defrost on. OBDII checks oxygen sensor heater circuits, air pump and EVAP purge.

2. Turn the A/C and rear defrost off, and accelerate to 55 mph at half throttle. OBDII checks for ignition misfire, fuel trim and canister purge.

3. Hold at a steady state speed of 55 mph for three minutes.
OBDII monitors EGR, air pump, O2 sensors and canister purge.

4. Decelerate (coast down) to 20 mph without braking or depressing the clutch. OBDII checks EGR and purge functions.

5. Accelerate back to 55 to 60 mph at half throttle. OBDII checks misfire, fuel trim and purge again.

6. Hold at a steady speed of 55 to 60 mph for five minutes.
OBDII monitors catalytic converter efficiency, misfire, EGR, fuel trim, oxygen sensors and purge functions.

7. Decelerate (coast down) to a stop without braking. OBDII makes a final check of EGR and canister purge.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:10 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:656
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold

did you buy the truck new or used? any performance mods on it...could it possibly have a custom tune on it that turns off the sensors? mine are tuned off with a custom tune and turned back on with my smog tune..
Old 02-28-2013, 08:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefred112 View Post
did you buy the truck new or used? any performance mods on it...could it possibly have a custom tune on it that turns off the sensors? mine are tuned off with a custom tune and turned back on with my smog tune..
Yes I bought it used but it has no mods on it. It has passed inspection the last 3 times I had it done with no problems at all. Only currently it has failed, and the only thing I can think of is that I replaced the battery this year. Could the sensors not have reset for some reason and I need to take off and reconnect the battery again to see if it sets? I havent tried the specific drive cycle yet I was hoping just normal driving for 3 or 4 months would take care of that, though I have only taken it on the highway a handful of times since then. I have about 60,000 miles on it. Could the o2 sensors be bad but not throw a code? I guess I will have to bite the bullet and call the dealer like some suggested. Really hate dealing with them though.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:01 AM
Resident Technician

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:1915
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I would advise whoever is working on it to check the inhibit monitors to see what's going on.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Well I called the dealer today and explained to them what was happening and they hit me with the old " you gotta just drive it more "
Old 03-01-2013, 08:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Well I went and bought one of those odb scanners. I have a question though. It says the car needs to be off to read codes. The emissions light is yellow on the scanner, but If I wanted to drive with it hooked up to see if the light ever goes to green will that mess anything up? Crazy how all the shop and dealer is saying is to drive it. I guess If I get pulled over I can show the cop my last two trys to pass on the paper printout and my newly aquired odb scanner as proof that Im actually trying and not just to lazy or cheap to get my inspection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement