DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Ordered Mcgaughys 2" drop shackles today...now to decide on removing OL spring

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  starquestbd22 
#1 ·
After a bunch of reading and researching I went ahead and ordered Mcgaughys 2" drop shackles today (part #44002) for my 04 QC 4x4. I had to shop around and do some calling as several places had them listed as backordered. I hope they will be here and I can get them installed next week. I am going to lower the front back down (it's currently lifted with TB crank) to keep the level stance...just a little lower all around. I will take some before and after pics to share.

So now I am trying to decide whether I want to remove the overload spring or not. Most that have done it seem to think it improved the ride quality and I don't really haul more than a couple hundred pounds of camping gear. I'm just concerned about being able to lower the front enough to match the back only by adjusting the torsion bars. I think I will install the shackles and see how it looks first.

#2 ·
Shackles came in today so as long as I can source the tools needed I will be throwing them on sometime next week. No one has any opinions about removing the OL springs? Also, has anyone experienced squeaking problems with drop shackles? I have read that they will squeak if not greased thoroughly and properly. How are they supposed to be greased? Is it simply greasing the bolt that secures the shackle to the hanger and spring pack? There are no grease fittings so I don't know how else they would be greased. Anyone have recommendations on torque specs for bolts? Thanks!

#3 · (Edited)
Well I got the shackles installed today and the front adjusted back down to where I think I want it. It wasn't too bad of a job but would have been much easier with a lift and some air tools. The only snag I hit was the driver side shackle. The "ears" of the shackle that go on each side of the spring eye were too close together and I had a hell of a time getting it onto the spring. Finally did with a little gentle hammer action. I had emailed McGaughys and they said their shackles use OEM-type rubber and do not need to be greased. I laid the lithium grease to them anyway, lol. Here's the before and after. I am happy with it and don't think I will be removing the OL springs. The shackles took away just a little fender space just like I wanted.

Before: The truck actually looks a little nose high in this pic even though it is not. The front was 1" lower than the rear.

After:

Before:

After:

#4 ·
looks good! good job man

#5 ·
Thanks! What do you think about the front end as it is now? It almost looks like it needs to come up just a tad in the side photo. I just don't want to get it looking nose high. I would much rather have front rake than back rake, lol.

#6 ·
no I think it looks fine from the pictures.

#7 ·
Cool, thanks for the input!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.