DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Serpentine Belt/Tensioner Pulley Squeak

69K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  John M 
#1 ·
Good Morning all. Yesterday morning I noticed a squeak from the engine compartment of my truck just after start up. I didn't think much of it because I figured it was just squeaking because it was cold outside. Yesterday afternoon I drove it home and noticed the squeak was still there, just not as noticeable. Then again this morning, it squeaked at start up. I put belt conditioner on the serpentine belt to see if it would calm the noise. It only made it worse and now it's starting to annoy me. My truck as just over 51,000 miles on it. I figure maybe it's just time to change the serpentine belt and tensioner. Does anyone have any recommendations for which brands are better. The Auto Zone here in town has Dayco belts and pulleys. Are these acceptable replacements?

#2 ·
my 07 just starting doin the same thing. Not quite a squeek, but noisy from the belt area. Gonna just have the dealership change it when i take my truck in for oil change and other routine maintenance.

#4 ·
I would go with a Goodyear Gatorback, Gates, or OE on the brand. I wouldn't sweat the tensioner if it still holds good tension and the pulley bearing is good.

#5 ·
A mechanic friend of mine sprayed WD40 on the belt and the sqeak went away. So, I'm pretty sure it's the belt. I just ordered a Goodyear Gatorback from Rock Auto. It should get here in a week or so. Hopefully it will stop the squealing.

#6 ·
I also agree with Gator Backs, my 10 had the same problem although it showed up at less than 5K miles. Replaced belt and was fine until I traded truck in for my 12 Sport.

#8 ·
after reading the posts in this thread....can anyone follow up and advise if they are still changing the belts every 5 to 50K? Is this what is to be expected in the future of my new/used truck now that it has started to chirp at just over 50K?

Bought truck about a month ago, had the "peace of mind" inspection from a Dodge dealership before completing the purchase from a Kia dealership and it passed except for the TPS light which won't turn off but figured I could live with that.
Saturday, I went through about 8" of water on a flooded road (was not off roading just on a residential street that flooded)(nor was I going through the puddle fast, was definitely under 30km), about 20 mins further down the road, I thought I had maybe half dozen baby birds hatching under the hood. Two days later, it was a big flock! A more mechanically inclined friend took a look at the belt, and pulleys said all looked good but asked for a bar of soap, rubbed a little here and there, turned over the truck, flock of birds all gone. Shut it off, didn't think twice till I drove it this morning. When idling truck is quiet, step on the gas birds are back, off the gas and birds are gone again. Rubbed more soap on it tonight, maybe will get belt changed this week.

Really hoping that new belt will last longer than 5K, but still wondering how many Ks should you get out of this belt? This is my first truck, I have only ever had front wheel 4 cyclinder cars which took me 90K and beyond before changing any belts!

#11 · (Edited)
:LOL:2011 Laramie with 32,000. Belt squeled at 12K, and now on thrid belt and it's still squeling. Dealer said that the right after the third one Dodge introduced a new belt part number. I don't know what changed between the old and new part number, but it sure wasn't an improvement. Think Dodge has a problem! I have a life time warranty and am going to make a lot of noise about replacing other components until they fess up. Just me, but $40K + trucks shouldn't squek hot or cold (period). I pull up to red lights and feel like an idiot because I am that person with the noisey vehicle. Anyone have a fix other than belt, belt, belt, belt,...... Thanks in advance.

#12 ·
I am having an annoying squeal, believe it to be the power steering pump pulley. I am unable to find just the pulley. I have changed the belt less than 500 miles ago. Was going to try replacing the tensioner since it is a lot cheaper than replacing the power steering pump. The squeal just gets louder the higher the RPMs, never ends.

#13 ·
Bringing up an old post. But I bought a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L hemi 4wd with 130k miles. The first time I test drove it, no squeals. Second time, nothing. After I pick it up from the dealership, there was a squealing sound on idle, looked at the service record and saw new serpentine belt. I figured they didn't tighten the automatic tensioner down all the way, so I torqued it to 36 ft lbs. Squealing went away after that...at idle at least. As soon as I press the gas, the chirping is back and gets louder the more RPMs it's at. I can be doing 45mph and let off the gas and the squeal goes away, so wondering what this can be from? I'm replacing the idler pulley this weekend. Will be back on to let know how it goes.

#14 ·
I figured they didn't tighten the automatic tensioner down all the way, so I torqued it to 36 ft lbs. Squealing went away after that...at idle at least. As soon as I press the gas, the chirping is back and gets louder the more RPMs it's at. I can be doing 45mph and let off the gas and the squeal goes away, so wondering what this can be from? I'm replacing the idler pulley this weekend. Will be back on to let know how it goes.
If you tightened the tensioner, and that helped somewhat, I'd say your tensioner may need to be replaced. After 130k, wouldn't surprise me.

#15 ·
I run a 2009 5.7 SLT Ram and I noticed a squeek when i picked the truck up. I replaced the belt and the noise went straight away. After 300 miles its back again. I put it down to mis-aligned pulleys. Im going to fit a new tensioner and another new belt today and see if that sorts the problem out. If not I think it will be the Power steering pump pulley / air con pulley or even crank shaft pulley that's mis-aligned creating the squeek so will need replacing.

#16 · (Edited)
Well i removed the new belt that had started squeaking and then started to check for any mis-aligned pulleys. I removed the auxiliary belt tensioner ( first slide a 3/8ths drive ratchet in the center of the tensioner - you will see the square cut out - apply upwards pressure and remove belt by un-hooking it from the top of the alternator pulley - then remove the 13mm bolt in the center of the tensioner body )

NOTE - Remember the path of the belt ( take a pic / sketch )

The individual single pulley is also held on with a 13 mm bolt.

I then checked the pulley on the tensioner and found 1 - 2 mm play on the bearing. The bolt holding the pulley on was torqued to the correct setting so it was definitely a collapsed bearing / worn pulley causing the belt to move about.

To refit the new tensioner simply place it on the mount ( there is an alignment key ) and then tighten up the 13mm bolt. Refit the aux belt over all the pulleys - bar the alternator pulley. Then place the 3/8ths drive ratchet into the tensioner and apply downwards pressure. The Belt should have about 2 - 3 cm movement which allows you to hook it over the alternator pulley and then release the tensioner. Check the belt is sitting on all the pulleys correctly before you start the engine.

Ive replaced the tensioner / belt / 2 pulleys and so far so good.

The job takes 20 minutes max

Part number of kit - GATES ACK060795HD
Contents
1 x belt
1 x tensioner with pulley
1 x single pulley

Link to kit used

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252277968046?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoTMzbfxPn8&feature=youtu.be

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.