DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!
Total Load Control!
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
FGT Motorsport
Bayou Goat Mounts
tonneaucovered.com
Mopar Online Parts!

Old 06-04-2016, 02:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearlcoat
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:80
Muddy will become famous soon enough
Default Blown Exhaust Manifold Gasket

I apologize if this has already been discussed but I swear I did do a search first and couldn't find anything.
My 2013 Express has just turned 46,000 miles and just as the title says, blew a gasket on the driver side exhaust manifold. They are still the factory ones, not aftermarket. My question is, is this normal? Is that the normal life span for these gaskets? If so, that sucks. All my other vehicles have lasted way longer, be it OEM or aftermarket. Even the hot-rodded ones; this truck is still stock aside from an aftermarket short ram intake and muffler.
Sponsored links
Old 06-04-2016, 02:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:30
jasonw is on a distinguished road

Are you sure it was the gasket and not the manifolds themselves? The factory manifolds on these trucks are notorious for warping at the back ends (cylinders 7 and 8). They break off the bolts and studs in the back and bam, exhaust leak.

My driver's side was definitely bad, took it in to the $tealership, and they replaced it. They said they still heard the leak slightly, so they checked the passenger side, and it was warped too. Both replaced, including all bolts/studs, at just shy of 39000 miles. However, they are covered under the factory powertrain warranty (5 years or 100k), so if you are the first or second owner, you're covered.

If you are the third owner, and didn't buy an extended warranty, replace the manifolds with headers (shorties are cheaper and easier, but long tubes are better) and use grade 8 locking bolts for the install. You should never have to replace the things again, and you get a nice performance upgrade to boot.

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4x4
Maximum Steel, 5.7L Hemi V8, 8HP70 Transmission, 3.92 Gears, Anti-Spin Differential
Billet Catch Can, Hemifever Tuned, Enlight 5500k HIDs, 275/65R20 Michelin LTX A/T 2 Tires
Old 06-04-2016, 02:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Thanks. That's an answer I was looking for. I am not sure honestly if it is the gasket, can't see because of the cover they put over them. I'm also 100% disabled so it's a little hard to contort myself to look up in there. I will take it to the dealership and get them to check it. Thanks again.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:17 PM

No problem. Let us know how it turns out.

Maximum Steel, 5.7L Hemi V8, 8HP70 Transmission, 3.92 Gears, Anti-Spin Differential
Billet Catch Can, Hemifever Tuned, Enlight 5500k HIDs, 275/65R20 Michelin LTX A/T 2 Tires
Old 06-10-2016, 08:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Well, I had an appointment to drop it off this morning at the dealership here in Rome, GA, I'll have to find a different dealership. They immediately started with how it wasn't covered by warranty and crap like that. Sounded to me they were going to try and pull the stunt that a couple of dealers in Las Vegas got in trouble for when I lived there. Where they would try and charge people for the service and report it under warranty to Chrysler so they could double dip. I wish someone would police dealerships nationwide better so people wouldn't have to go through this. I wanted to whack the guy across his face with my cane.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:08 PM

Did they say your truck was not under warranty, or that defective exhaust manifolds were not covered under warranty?

If you didn't get one with your truck, go here, download the "full warranty information book" for your 2013, take it in, and show the dealership. Page 10 clearly states that exhaust manifolds are covered under the 5 year/100k mile warranty.

Or you can find a different dealer.

EDIT: I bet if you sent a PM to ramcares, s/he may be able to help you out getting that dealer straightened out, since that is an account used by actual representatives from FCA.

Last edited by jasonw; 06-10-2016 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:34 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Rep:692
huntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to behold

yes, ramcares can help you out.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

They had told me that gaskets weren't covered by any warranty and that the powertrain warranty only covered parts that were "coated in oil", so basically internal parts I'm guessing. However, I read the warranty info before I tried to drop it off and knew that everything is covered.
All this happened though while I was trying to move and didn't have time to deal with their BS. I made a new appointment with a different dealership and hopefully they won't try to screw with me. I now have the time to deal with it.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
They had told me that gaskets weren't covered by any warranty and that the powertrain warranty only covered parts that were "coated in oil", so basically internal parts I'm guessing. However, I read the warranty info before I tried to drop it off and knew that everything is covered.
All this happened though while I was trying to move and didn't have time to deal with their BS. I made a new appointment with a different dealership and hopefully they won't try to screw with me. I now have the time to deal with it.
Yup, terrible dealership. If the second dealership gives you the same line, and refuses to take care of them, send a private message to Ramcares. Give her/him the names of the dealerships and their addresses. S/he has been very helpful with many others on here in dealing with dealerships that try to give customers the run-around.

Keep us updated. Good luck!

Old 06-29-2016, 04:28 PM

Vehicle: n/a
Trim Level: n/a
Color: n/a
Rep:28
ramcares is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
If you need further assistance when visiting the dealer, don't hesitate to DM me. Thanks - Kevin T, Social Connect Team