DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, & Solutions - Maintenance & Repair > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
FGT Motorsport
Bayou Goat Mounts
Mopar Online Parts!

Old 07-11-2015, 12:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
tramcdonald is on a distinguished road
Default Anti-Theft Activated - Truck Won't Start

So I own a 2011 Ram 1500 4X4 Laramie with about 52K miles and have loved it so far. No problems other than the backup camera flashes which I think is due to moisture. I let my dad borrow it and some how he managed to lock up the truck's anti-theft through the factory remote start. Window was down and he accidentally hit the panic button followed by the remote start and according to him and "a fumbling around of other buttons on the fob to make the horn stop honking." Now he only gets a "Remote Start Disabled...restart truck to enable" message and can't start the truck even with the fob in the ignition. I have the other fob but don't want to make the long drive which even then may not work. He's tried unconnecting the battery for 20 minutes and then reconnecting. I believe he said the truck originally started for 2 seconds and then died so it has to be something with the anti theft. I read that the computer may need to be flashed but a work around could be holding the disconnected battery cables together? At least that was mentioned on the 3rd generation trucks. Any other thoughts before I tow it to the dealer?

Last edited by tramcdonald; 07-11-2015 at 12:37 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 07-11-2015, 03:19 PM
I do it because I can!

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Sport 4X4 CC
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:2968
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, Travis, and thanks for joining the RamforumZ. I encourage you to stop by the Newbie Checkin section and introduce yourself so other members and give you a proper how-do-ya-do.

Instead of towing it to the dealer, give them a call and ask for the shop foreman. Shop foreman is usually a former tech with a lot of experience under his belt. If there is no shop foreman, then the service manager. But I've come across some service managers that are desk jockey bean counters and don't know dick about a truck.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2016 Ram 1500 Sport w/RAMBox
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:156
SShadow1974 has a spectacular aura aboutSShadow1974 has a spectacular aura about

Lock the truck manually with the key. Then unlock the truck with the key. Then start the truck normally.
I ran into this with my Santa Fe at the airport after a very long flight. I'm not sure RAM works the same way, but that's how I managed to turn off the anti-theft.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
tramcdonald is on a distinguished road

Issue has been resolved. Apparently, he wasn't using the Fob but the key itself. After making the long drive, I started it right up. Well, at least I got a free lunch out of it.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:51 PM
I do it because I can!

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Sport 4X4 CC
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:2968
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Voonderbar! Kinda sucks that you had to drive all the way out there. But good to know that it was user error and you got a free lunch out of it. And you got to see your Dad!

Thanks for posting the update!