DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires

Notices

Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires General discussion related to wheels and tires.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: hunter green
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
sylster is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to sylster
Default tires, tires, tires....ARGH!

OK, so I've been trying to find the info I need on here...but it just becomes information overload and it's never really what I want to know....so here goes....

I want to replace my stock Wranglers...I've got 46,500kms on them and hated them since day one....now they are cupping and it gives me an excuse to change them.

My truck is stock...no lifts, no leveling (not opposed to installing some bilsteins 5100's to accommodate what I want tho...

(1) P rating VS. LT rating...can anyone give me the skinny? I don't work with my truck but do pull a 3700lbs travel trailer in the summer.....

I'm concerned about how the weight difference may affect gas mileage. ie Falken wild peaks P rated (46lbs) LT rated (66lbs)...4 ply vs 10 ply.....is that to be expected in all brands and tires?

(2) Max size with or without leveling? can I do 305's without rubbing? straight up answers...pls...I'm slow to grasp things HAHAH

(3) Spacers.....good idea? bad idea? do they affect drive-ability...do I need them?

(4) Brand? Leaning towards Falken Wildpeaks, Goodyear Duratracs or some good old BFG all terrains......anything else worth considering....want some aggressive threads.....but NOT rock crawlers....since it's all for show pretty much.....my truck is 90% highway and city....but 9 outta 12 months seems to be in snow and ice hahahah good old Canadian winters...

That pretty much covers it....I guess.....any advice/help/rants will be appreciated.

Sylster
Sponsored links
Old 03-08-2013, 10:08 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:192
Judd McPherson has a spectacular aura aboutJudd McPherson has a spectacular aura about

I have ordered a 2013 Ram 1500 Sport 4X4 that I am fitting with the 305/60r20 Goodyear Silent Armor tires. It will require Bilstein 5100's set at 2.1". I have had five sets of them on various trucks and love them, both in the P and LT rating. The LT rated tire is not a noticeably more harsh ride in my opinion. The tires are very quiet, but still have an aggressive enough tread that I have never gotten stuck while hunting and fishing in some pretty nasty places! I have gotten mixed opinions on whether spacers are necessary, so I ordered hub centric / wheel centric spacers from Motorsport Technologies in California. They have a ton of experience with the spacers for the Ram trucks, and everyone that has used them raves about how well balanced they are. You only need a 10mm spacer for that fitment. I personally decided to use those so that I could run the 2013 Sport wheel, which I like better than any aftermarket wheel that I could find.

I have also had REVO 2's, BFG T/A KO's, Bridgestone Duelers, etc and none of them provide the smooth quite ride that these do while keeping an aggressive tread pattern. If you do 90% highway driving, I think that you would be much happier with Silent Armors than the Duratrak.

I hope that helps.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:23 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express RC
Color: Black Express Package
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:62
RyanJM will become famous soon enough

I have the duratrac 285/60's and they have been a great tire so far. Little mud, some dirt and even cause a few curbs when bot paying attention. Didn't leave more than a dirt mark. I took a chunk out of my 305/55 cooper zeon's when I hit a curb so these seem to hold up better. Nor really much in the way of noise and hardly noticed any loss of mpg. There is always a little when you run a more aggresive tire but nothing that bothers me. Maybe 1mpg.

2014 Black Express, 4.5" Maxtrac lift, Ballistic Razorback's 20x9, 35x12.5 Federal Cougaria MT's, DeeZee tailgate assist, K&N drop in filter, magnaflow 16" welded in, Diablo Trinity, 20% tint on the front and 5% on the rear glass, AVS Smoked Aeroskin, HID 3000k fogs, 6000k HID's in the projectors.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:41 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram sport
Color: hunter green
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
sylster is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to sylster

I think, I'm gonna bite the bullet and level my truck and put some 285/65/20 Duratracks on there....Would love to go big, but I think, that size and look will suit me just fine.

S.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:04 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

You will likely get varying opinions on most of those questions and it sounds like you are already leaning towards something so I'll be brief.

1) LT tires have thicker, stiffer sidewalls than P tires and can bear more weight because they can be inflated to much higher maximum PSI. If the occasional pulling that trailer is all you really do with your truck I would say they aren't "needed". However, they probably aren't going to hurt you any either. Yes, they will be a little heavier and being stiffer you may notice a slight hit in MPG and/or ride quality but I would say these will be marginal if you notice them at all.

2) You cannot run 305's without less offset rims or spacers.

3) Spacers are fine in moderation. All you would need for 305's would be a 1/4" spacer which leaves plenty of lug stud for the lugs to grip and is not enough to cause any added suspension wear, etc. A lot of folks have great luck with $30 off the shelf 1/4" spacers, however, there is the potential for balancing/vibration issues if they aren't centered properly. A set of the spacers mentioned above from Motorsports Technologies is the $200 solution to this problem.

4) I have heard some pretty good reviews of the Falkens. Great reviews on the Duratracs and the BFG A/T ko. Also can't go wrong with Nitto Terra Grapplers or Cooper Zeon LTZ.

All that being said, the 285/65/20 Duratracs are a good choice as well. The height will look good with a level, they are probably the most aggressive all-terrain tire out there, and the 285 will fit without spacers. The only downside I see is they are expensive! Good luck!!
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.