DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion All about Off-Road in here! From prep to execution! Let us know how you roll Off Road in your Dodge Ram Truck!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-10-2013, 09:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express RC
Color: Black Express Package
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:57
RyanJM will become famous soon enough

I would go tires 1st. Tires make a huge difference in dirt and mud. My friend had some cheap at tires and usually has his 4wd on. I just have some good tear duratracs and use 4 wd much less. My tires usually bite good enough for the light stuff but a more aggresive tire would get better traction.

2014 Black Express, 4.5" Maxtrac lift, Ballistic Razorback's 20x9, 35x12.5 Federal Cougaria MT's, DeeZee tailgate assist, K&N drop in filter, magnaflow 16" welded in, Diablo Trinity, 20% tint on the front and 5% on the rear glass, AVS Smoked Aeroskin, HID 3000k fogs, 6000k HID's in the projectors.
Sponsored links
Old 03-10-2013, 09:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
ztobey is on a distinguished road

You gotta go for tires first, budget or not. It is what what actually moves your truck. It doesn't matter how BAD your winch is or what kinda of locker you have in the diff if you can't even make it out to the trail.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:07 AM

Vehicle: 2010 2500
Trim Level: slt
Color: white
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:108
ridgerunnerseoinc will become famous soon enoughridgerunnerseoinc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by keggy22 View Post
any lockers you would suggest ridgerunnerseoinc?
also which tires would anyones suggest?
paying my way through college but i love mud hahs
Not sure what axles U have so I can't say. Should be lots of options for your older truck. I'd go for a selectable locker, one U can switch in and out of lock with the flip of a switch over a limited slip locker (LSD). I have LSD's and they work good but not great. I'd put one in the rear first and if U have the $ do the front as well. Everyone is saying tires, tires, tires, and while I agree they will make a big difference the only thing is U will still have 2 tires turning so what's the point.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Silver
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
dundonrl is on a distinguished road

well, I had A/T tires on my 01 Explorer, and went with Warn's 9.5ti on a multi-mount.. I then proceeded to go places that I don't care what type of tires and lockers you had, they wouldn't help (yes I pulled my Explorer up a 90% degree incline, a tree was down and I couldn't get out any other way) that being said, 99% of the time, a winch isn't needed and tires are the greatest "tool" in your tool bag when your off roading.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 2005 2500 diesel 2012 5.7
Trim Level: XLT,XLT, ST
Color: white, blue, brown
Engine: 1996-1998 359ci (5.9L) Cummins 12-valve Diesel I6 215hp 440lb/ft(manual), 180hp 420lb/ft(auto)
Mike W. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by keggy22 View Post
Hey guys I am trying to make my truck more off-road capable and I'm wondering whether to buy a winch, new tires, or a locking differential. I am limited on money so I'd only like to do one. please tell me which would help me have more traction off road and in the mud.
Thx, Keggy22
All things being even I'd say tires with a good but not overly aggresive tread pattern. I need 4x4 to get home and once with a loaner truck identical to mine except the tires it was amazing what difference they made, I'm now running them on my truck.

A rear locker is nice but you can fool an open diff into thinking it is locked by a little brake pressure with the pedal or parking brake, then some easy gas will get you out of some nasty stuff. If my ex- could do it in a muddy wash thenanyone can. A front locker is great if you can disconnect the front axle on the street and when locked it is pulling and giving directional control as well.

A winch or sheep herder jack is good but remember the bigger the truck the bigger the winch size even with snatch blocks. With only a 8Klb winch (on a lighter vehicle) and a snatch block I pulled a rolled truck sidewise through a ravine until it could be righted. To have a heavy winch and or bumper hanging off the front can cause quicker front end wear, you can have a good sized winch that mounts to a 2" reciever hitch front and rear and only take it when you will be in the rough.

Last edited by Mike W.; 03-25-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:40 AM

ridgerunnerseoinc will become famous soon enoughridgerunnerseoinc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike W. View Post
All things being even I'd say tires with a good but not overly aggresive tread pattern. I need 4x4 to get home and once with a loaner truck identical to mine except the tires it was amazing what difference they made, I'm now running them on my truck.

A rear locker is nice but you can fool an open diff into thinking it is locked by a little brake pressure with the pedal or parking brake, then some easy gas will get you out of some nasty stuff. If my ex- could do it in a muddy wash thenanyone can. A front locker is great if you can disconnect the front axle on the street and when locked it iss pulling and giving directional control as well.

A winch or sheep herder jack is good but remember the bigger the truck the bigger the winch size even with snatch blocks. With only a 8Klb winch (on a lighter vehicle) and a snatch block I pulled a rolled truck sidewise through a ravine until it could be righted. To have a heavy winch and or bumper hanging off the front can cause quicker front end wear, you can have a good sized winch that mounts to a 2" reciever hitch front and rear and only take it when you will be in the rough.
I agree with the lockers as I said, get selectable ones where U can flip a switch and either engage them or disengage them at will. They cost more but are well worth it. Open diffs really suck fellas, anyone with any real experience offroading will tell U this. They cannot be "fooled" into locking by using your brakes like a LSD can. They are open and will NOT lock period. Brakes can send the power to one wheel or the other but NOT both at the same time. I also agree on the winch set up and size. I have a 12,000lb winch on a cradle that will attach to the front or rear via my 2" receivers when needed.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:41 AM

Vehicle: 2010 4.7l v8 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:160
Astartes has a spectacular aura aboutAstartes has a spectacular aura about

I say start with tires, i think that should be the basis
Greater love has no one than this, that a man lay down his life for his brothers. -John 15:13

My Mods
Old 03-25-2013, 08:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 2005 2500 diesel 2012 5.7
Trim Level: XLT,XLT, ST
Color: white, blue, brown
Engine: 1996-1998 359ci (5.9L) Cummins 12-valve Diesel I6 215hp 440lb/ft(manual), 180hp 420lb/ft(auto)
Mike W. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgerunnerseoinc View Post
They cannot be "fooled" into locking by using your brakes like a LSD can. They are open and will NOT lock period. Brakes can send the power to one wheel or the other but NOT both at the same time.
I hate to disagree but I have to as I've done it. By using the brake you are keeping the one wheel from spinning by itself and the diff turns both axles as it normally would with good traction. Not saying it is a locker by any means but it does help to a degree.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike W. View Post
I hate to disagree but I have to as I've done it. By using the brake you are keeping the one wheel from spinning by itself and the diff turns both axles as it normally would with good traction. Not saying it is a locker by any means but it does help to a degree.
Brake bias leans heavily towards the front wheels in most vehicles. The E brake usually brakes the right rear drive wheel only. By using the E brake to slow or stop the right rear wheel from spinning will send power to the left rear wheel so it will gain traction. Both wheels may turn but will not provide the needed torque/traction in many situations. If U don't believe me drive your truck across a ditch at an angle where two of your wheels are off the ground U will see what I mean (make sure U have someone to pull U out when U get stuck). In slick mud or maybe even snow this trick may work to a degree but it is a very small degree. Trust me I've been there many times before I realized the beauty of lockers. But go ahead buy some good tires, hit the trail, find out for yourself if U must.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:13 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Color: Gray
Rep:32
Thet is on a distinguished road

Might also want to look at the Treadwright Mud Dogs. They're retreads, but 1/2 as expensive as the "higher end" tires. I'm getting a set.