DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-04-2014, 08:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 8sp
Trim Level: BigHorn. RamBox
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:210
OldJoe has a spectacular aura aboutOldJoe has a spectacular aura aboutOldJoe has a spectacular aura about
Default Taking Line-x a step further?

So, I have a 1500 with the RamBoxes and bed extender. I used the bed extender on a paved road but I got several dings on the tailgate from debris getting kicked up.Come spring I will probably need to use the bed extender often. I had Line-x applied to the bed the first week after I bought the truck and am impressed with it. Anyway, I call the Line-x guys yesterday and talked to them about the possibility of applying it to the outside of the tailgate. They said no problem and that if they used a premium option it would be shiny black. The price was just under $200 for the premium option. Has anybody on here got any experience and/or feedback with having Line-x on the exterior?
Also, I use the RamBoxes daily with a lot of tools coming and going in and out of them and no matter how hard I try not to, it's inevitable that I'm going to scratch around them, or worse. I'm thinking about getting creative with getting the stuff applied under the boxes. Any thoughts from you all?
Sponsored links
Old 01-04-2014, 02:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Express Quad Cab
Trim Level: Express QC Rwd
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:108
SoCalExpress will become famous soon enoughSoCalExpress will become famous soon enough

I think it's a great idea. My wife and I bought a new jeep last year and went to an off-road show to shop for a lift and soft top etc. and when we were there we saw a few trucks and jeeps with linex on either the whole interior and sometimes on the exterior. I thought it looked awesome and considered doing the exterior of my truck with it in its entirety but it wouldn't be practical as far as cost and weight were concerned, I also heard it fades rather badly after a few years. If you decide to do it take some pictures for us!
Old 01-04-2014, 03:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 07 dodge ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:26
jasonl844 is on a distinguished road

getting the whole truck done would be the way to go! i just sold my '93 gmc 2500hd that was fully rhino lined.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:21 PM
Stickers add Horsepower

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2793
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

There is some members that have done their whole truck. One member aspiri (believe I spelt wrong but he hasa build thread) did his whole truck and it looks amazing. If it is useful for you, I say do it.
Tow mirrors up for the haters
Old 01-04-2014, 07:05 PM
R A M M S T E I N

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Sport CC Hemi
Trim Level: Sportabulous
Color: White
Rep:580
RAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to all

I love the idea/

I pulled the roof rack off my other 4x4, plugged the nutserts, taped of length wise lines 6" wide down the length of the roof, and line-x'd those. It's held up for over a decade as new looking as the day I did it.

The nice thing is with complete artistic control over where you tape, you can really play to the curves of the vehicle you're working on. And by taping off in a particular manner you can change the entire personality of a vehicle.

I've seen a lot of guys start with the quarter-panel curve that they continue with across and back to the rear of the vehicle. Looking at the ram this would mean from the that QP curve starting at the corner of the headlight , over the door handles, and finally across the box below the lip a few inches or so. Most trucks I've seen this on follow through and Line-X from that line downwards. On a new truck this might be too much.

You could try employing the Line-X to put stripes across the upper part of the box sides. Perhaps adding "HEMI". The tailgate maintains it's badging through the Line-X which is cool.

Lots of ideas/ Looking forward to seeing the results.

Cheers

* 2014 RAM Sport CC* BDS 6" Suspension* Fox 2.5 Coil-over front * Fox 2.0 rear & Pro-Ride 3" coil* 3.92 Gearing* Fuel hostages in 20x9 +1
37x12.5R20 Pro Comp Xtreme MT2
* Diablo Sport Trinity T1000 * Cabin Air Filter
* ARH LT headers * Magnaflow catback/5" tips * 87mm Ported TB * Moroso Polished Catch Can*_QTP_electric_cutout_&_3"_turn_down * Legmaker Short Ram * S&B custom filter * Outerwears Pre-filter * Extang Solid-Fold Tonneau

Old 01-05-2014, 04:08 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:258
Bigred74 is a jewel in the roughBigred74 is a jewel in the roughBigred74 is a jewel in the rough

i bedlined my entire truck and couldnt be happier! always get people staring at it lol
i went the cheap diy way tho so no doubt in my mind you will be happy with the line-x

*Bedliner paint job, leveling kit, 3'' body lift, 17'' eagle alloy rims series 197, 315/70/17 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T tires, S&B cold air intake, 52mm ported and bored throttle body, Superchips 3865 programmer
Old 01-05-2014, 11:23 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 8sp
Trim Level: BigHorn. RamBox
Color: Black
Rep:210
OldJoe has a spectacular aura aboutOldJoe has a spectacular aura aboutOldJoe has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the imput, and also the pics.I think I'll start with the tailgate, and see if the Line-X guys have ideas on the RamBox area. Somebody said that doing this will reduce the value of the truck. Honestly, I don't give a rat's patooie about that. I own the truck outright, don't put on a lot of mileage, I'm getting old, this quite possibly will be the last truck I buy, barring an accident. Speaking of which, one question I have is how much more difficult it would be to repair an area that had been the treatment applied in the an accident.
BTW, where was I supposed to post this? I have a Ram1500 and have an issue with using the stock bed extender. I'm not sure what it means that it was "moved" and I'm not sure why it was moved. I feel like I did something wrong.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Express Quad Cab
Trim Level: Express QC Rwd
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:108
SoCalExpress will become famous soon enoughSoCalExpress will become famous soon enough

Another option would be plain vinyl decals covering the whole truck, I thought of doing this to get a nice flat black look without having to paint my truck. I think it would work equally as well
Old 01-06-2014, 09:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Line-X makes a few different types of spray ons
some have better UV protection
Line-X XTRA, Light Industrial, Recreational, etc.

http://www.linex.com/gallery/index_2010.php
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 01-06-2014, 09:43 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I'm not a fan of bedliner on the exterior, especially on really nice new trucks. Personally, I'd get the clear film (like tint) applied where you need it. It doesn't compromise the look, you can peel it off, and it's much cheaper. 3M makes some, so does xpel, and many other brands.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.