DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Product Reviews
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Product Reviews Have you found a great product, or a really bad one and you just need to tell someone about it! Post up a review for the benefit of all!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-05-2015, 11:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:76
doz will become famous soon enough
Default Hell Bent Steel 2.5" spacer

So I purchased a spacer kit as a temporary solution. Bilsteins were OOS and I was not aware of the Rancho QLL struts. So I went with a spacer for roughly 6000 miles.

I finally got the Ranchos and went to install them. Upon removal of the spacers, I discovered an apparent defect. I am not sure why this happened but it did. Only 6000 miles from a NEW truck!!! The factory struts that I pulled at about 1000 miles did not have this issue so I am not sure what the hell. I can only chalk it up to a bad cast maybe??

Regardless, I contacted HBS about the issue. Initially, it took about 2 days to return my email. I sent them these pictures as well as the description of the issue. They forwarded me to the owner of the company. I spoke with him and he asked me a few more question. Answered everything. Needless to say I have not heard back from him in weeks. I offered to send him the product for inspection even. He still will not return my emails. When I call, they tell me the guy is out of the office and only he can deal with me. Pretty piss poor customer service from a company who claims a lifetime warranty. Ive since filed a report with the BBB about their shit customer service.

I understand products fail and there will be defects, but they will not even stand by their product.

DS Trinity w/ custom tune, S&B Intake, ARH LT Headers, Magnaflow Cat-back, 87mm PTB, BT Catch Can, 180* T-Stat, v6 E-Fan, 5000k RS HID, XD Misfits w/ 35"x12.5"x18", Rancho QL level, 5% tint w/ 35% full windshield, Hifonics Brutus 1100.1 w/ Sundown SA12 in ported FoxBox
Sponsored links
Old 02-06-2015, 08:09 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express 4X4
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:349
h2oman is a jewel in the roughh2oman is a jewel in the roughh2oman is a jewel in the roughh2oman is a jewel in the rough

Wow. That's actually rather eye opening. HBS always had a reputation for high quality. Bad quality and bad customer service is death to a company.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:46 AM

Yeah... They were supposed to be high quality. I completely understand that even with high quality products there can be some flaws and defects. But the fact that they do not even back up their product with their claimed warranty or support is ridiculous.

It was only 1 side, which leads me to believe the product had a flaw of some sort. It happens, own up to it. I cannot even sell these things used now and HBS wont replace them for me. I first contacted them 5 weeks ago about it and last contact was about 3 weeks ago.
DS Trinity w/ custom tune, S&B Intake, ARH LT Headers, Magnaflow Cat-back, 87mm PTB, BT Catch Can, 180* T-Stat, v6 E-Fan, 5000k RS HID, XD Misfits w/ 35"x12.5"x18", Rancho QL level, 5% tint w/ 35% full windshield, Hifonics Brutus 1100.1 w/ Sundown SA12 in ported FoxBox

Last edited by doz; 02-06-2015 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:02 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express 4X4
Rep:349
h2oman is a jewel in the roughh2oman is a jewel in the roughh2oman is a jewel in the roughh2oman is a jewel in the rough

That's a shame dude.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:59 PM

So I had a lower ball joint boot torn. I am not sure if it was due to the poor angles that these spacers provide or if something from the road cut it. I really do not know. In any case, they are citing that as the reason they will not refund. Are you ****ing kidding me!?!?!?! HBS is a joke of a company. There is no damage to my suspension components. The spacer was install correctly (its pretty hard to screw up). Unbelievable. This is Cory Craig's response (Onwer of HBS). They did not even have me ship the part back for inspection!!!!!!

"I sincerely apologize for the delay in responding to you on this issue. I have been ill and out of the office for an extended period. I have met with engineering and thoroughly reviewed and discussed their findings. Our conclusion is that the failure you have described would be exceedingly unlikely to occur under normal driving conditions. This assumes the product was undamaged before or during installation and that the installation was performed correctly. You stated previously that you received the product in good condition and that it was installed correctly by you. The photos of the apparently bent spacer and your statements about additional, but unrelated suspension damage leads to the conclusion that this damage was from misuse, abuse or some other unknown road hazard. As such this item is not eligible under our warranty policy for return or repair. "
Old 02-06-2015, 08:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Black Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2010-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 383hp 400lb/ft (2500/3500)
Rep:10
Snacktime is on a distinguished road

Can you take a picture of the welds? I bet you it got to hot during manufacturing and the steel got soft.

Thanks for posting as I'm in the market for a spacer lift.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:10 PM

Ill try and get a picture tonight. If not tonight, this weekend for sure.

Its pretty clear to me that its a manufacturing defect. The other side did not do it at all. It was a total bitch to remove too due to it flaring like that. I really have no idea other than its just a defect but apparently, HBS does not see it that way.

I would highly suggest the Rancho QLL if you can swing it. If you cant, then go with some 5100s. Cost is $100 more for the 5100s over a spacer and about $220 more for the Rancho QLL.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:24 PM

Vehicle: 2012
Trim Level: Lone Star
Rep:16
STAYCLASSY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doz View Post
Ill try and get a picture tonight. If not tonight, this weekend for sure.

Its pretty clear to me that its a manufacturing defect. The other side did not do it at all. It was a total bitch to remove too due to it flaring like that. I really have no idea other than its just a defect but apparently, HBS does not see it that way.

I would highly suggest the Rancho QLL if you can swing it. If you cant, then go with some 5100s. Cost is $100 more for the 5100s over a spacer and about $220 more for the Rancho QLL.
That's a real bummer, DOZ. I went back and forth for a few months on which method of leveling my truck to use. Glad I went with the Bilsteins. I realize they are Hell Bent Steel, but come on!
FLOWMASTER, S&B CAI, DIABLOSPORT INTUNE DCX, GREENE RACING TUNE, BILSTEIN 5100 ADJUSTABLES, AMP POWERSTEPS, UNDERCOVER FLEX, RHINO LINER, DEE ZEE TAILGATE ASSIST, BAYOU GOAT MOUNT, AMSOIL SYNTHETICS, LT275/65R20 GOODYEAR DURATRACS
Old 03-23-2015, 12:25 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 6'4"
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:11
jrtubb is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the ino, I will not be buying from Hell Bent Steel now.