DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-11-2013, 05:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Lone Star
Color: Sagebrush
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:-5
jgos929 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default I dont like my truck anymore

I was sitting in it yesterday and realized It was $36K when I got it new (I paid $31K for it) and it doesn't even have a freakin driver side vanity mirror. Not that I'm constantly looking at my self in the mirror or anything but really no vanity mirror???
The transmission used to not bother me but now it does. No matter what gear I'm in I always get that in between gear jerk that happens when you let off the gas for some reason right before it shifts. I can make it do it on command. The lag between 2nd and 3rd excuse me 2nd prime is annoying.
The lack of throttle feel is starting to piss me off. Sometimes I can literally push on the gas pedal and feel it move atleast an inch before the truck will speed up and thats when I have MDS off (and I've done the throttle calibration I read about on here and that doesn't do jack). It really makes the truck have an under powered effect.
Dont even get me started on MDS. Great idea but horrible execution of said idea if you ask me.
I'm convinced the coil springs aren't that much better of a ride honestly. I drove from Dallas to Houston and back with my brother in his 2012 Denali truck and the ride in mine is no better.
The towing capacity on mine is fine but the max payload is really suffering and making it harder and harder on me when I do any towing.
Other than that I really dont have any complaints. But the things I am complaining about are at the heart of the truck. I dont have bad paint or crappy chrome clad wheels or any of the other little issues I'm seeing pop up aroud here but I could deal with all of that if I had a smooth shifting no MDS better responding truck.

And before anybody chimes in with get a tuner comments. I dont want a tuner and I dont see the need to get a tuner to fix the shortcomings of the vehicle. Tuners are there to improve on something not to make driving them a pleasurable experience.
It's still IMO the best looking truck out there but then again how long can I continue to bang a super model if she's a zombie in the sack? I'd rather bang a 7 then a 10 if she's a performer where it counts you know what I'm saying? Thats how I am viewing this truck right now.

I think I'm gonna go look at a Tundra. I can find a comparable 2011 4x4 crew with the 5.7L with as many or maybe a few more miles on it than what I got and I think I'll be happier. And all the ones I've looked at so far have a vanity mirror

Just venting thats all
Sponsored links
Old 03-11-2013, 05:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: grey
Rep:10
Slate Mike is on a distinguished road

Good luck finding a Tundra with the same features for the same $. I looked long and hard at both before I bought my Bighorn. And I'm not saying that you don't make a good case of the shortcomings of the Ram. I mostly agree with you. Kind of a bang for the buck issue.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:12 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black/Silver
Rep:147
TVL will become famous soon enoughTVL will become famous soon enough

That's probably a good idea to look at and drive other trucks. It kinda sounds like you've moved on from yours already. Hope you find what you're looking for! Good luck!

Hello, my name is Tim and I'm a modaholic.

MODS: 6" RCX Lift, 37"X12.5R20 Trail Grapplers on 20" Moto Metal 962 Black/silver rims, remote tailgate lock, Bakflip G2 tonneau cover, LineX spray-on bed liner, Amp Research Power Step, magnaflow 18" muffler, S&B CAI, Passenger Front Ejection seat, Diablosport Trinity1000 tuned with Hemifever 89 tune, Spyder Projector/HID 8000K/CCFL Halos/LEDs Headlights, Retroshop Projector/HID/8000K/CCFL Halo Fog Lights, Recon LED Smoked Tail Lights & LED Smoked 3rd Brake Light, fully stocked bar w/tap, BT Catch Can, Chrome & Black Mesh studded Grille, HID Reverse Light Kit, customized tailgate badge....more to come!
Old 03-11-2013, 06:16 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Lone Star
Color: Sagebrush
Rep:-5
jgos929 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Mike View Post
Good luck finding a Tundra with the same features for the same $. I looked long and hard at both before I bought my Bighorn. And I'm not saying that you don't make a good case of the shortcomings of the Ram. I mostly agree with you. Kind of a bang for the buck issue.
If I was buying brand new that statement might ring true, Toyota is pretty proud of their stuff thats for sure. But used I shouldn't have any issues finding a comparable truck. And what features are you talking about exactly? I have a Lonestar which is the exact same truck as a Bighorn.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2583
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

You have a 2012, go to your dealership & get it checked out for what they call
DRIVE ABILITY issues
My '09 had similar issues, i took it in for a oil change & mentioned that it didn't seem to shift properly & that it had died on me while driving one time. They checked it out & then Flashed the system with a software update & it has worked good ever since then. The Ram now has almost 83,000 miles on it
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 03-11-2013, 06:30 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3872
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

You'll get slammed with MPG on the Tundras.

They are NOWHERE as economical as they claim. Not even close.

You've been warned.

Good luck to you nonetheless.

Grub out!
Old 03-11-2013, 07:08 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4362
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Install a Bully Dog Tuner, it will turn your truck from a dislike to a Like very fast. Shifting is way better, throttle response also. Its not for everyone, but I can tell you I love my truck now since I installed the BD turn JMO
Old 03-11-2013, 07:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2744
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find....30167&id=31037

Ew.. Toyota...
If I were to leave dodge, it would be for a GMC.
Toyota's are just a very ugly truck that get crappy miliage.. Looks like they try to hard.
Tow mirrors up for all the haters
Old 03-11-2013, 07:31 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodg Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Rep:148
JWM59 will become famous soon enoughJWM59 will become famous soon enough

I can agree with the ugly part. I would listen to the advice people give you on how to correct it. I never been perfectly happy with any vehicle I purchase. But in my opinion my Ram exceeds all my past vehicles. Hope you resolve your problem. Good luck with what ever you decide.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:12 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Ram 5.9 diesel
Trim Level: QUAD CAB SLT 4X4
Color: white
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:80
dwanton will become famous soon enough

chevy silverado 6.0 is pretty fast and responsive !!

as for the tundra -- it only looks good lifted with mud tires --

you cant have good gas mileage and have speed and torque --

dump about $10000 in your hemi and garantee you will love it again .

and me personally -- i would like a few trucks in my garage but cant afford it .. i like them all for diffeant reasons .

another solution -- buy a crotch rocket if you want to go fast !! gixer 750