DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Stalled Today Wouldn't Restart

4K views 44 replies 2 participants last post by  Sabyre 
#1 ·
2002 4.7 1500, 214k Miles

Not sure what to look for on this. The truck normally would stall out after a few minutes with a loping idle. You could feather it to keep it going. I was thinking it was a sensor Cam, IAC, something like that. Seemed like it (the truck) wasn't sure how to idle. You could always just restart it.

Today however, It stalled while under thottle (gas pedal depressed) going down the road. And would not restart. It would simple turn over and over and over... Nor aparent firing. 10 or so minutes after trying to restart it the battery went dead.

We had it towed (Thank god for AAA) and are awaiting it to be delivered (140 Mile Tow).

What should we look for. What would cause the truck to stall and not restart when it normally would restart with no problems?

#28 ·
Yes, I am positive as I stated before if it stalls in a position where there is an intake valve open gas will come out the intake manafold as it has no other place to go.

What do you know about:

AUTOMATIC RESETTING SOLID STATE TYPE - PTC
A Polymer PTC (for Positive Temperature Coefficient) is a special type of circuit breaker called a thermistor (or thermal resistor). A PTC thermistor increases resistance as its temperature in increased. PTCs, which are made from a conductive polymer, are solid state devices, which means they have no moving parts.

These are in the wiring of the truck and I honestly just learned about them after looking over the wiring diagrams for the truck and looked them up.

This sounds very promising as the issue is temp specific and I first thought it was engine temp specific, now I don't think so. We had the truck run for 22.5 minutes at this point it had gone from open loop to closed loop and was still running.

I am strongly thinking its an issue with the coil circuit and due to bad wiring within that circuit this PTC shuts the circuit down, stopping the truck from firing. The PCM never gets that message until the PTC cools down enough to send that signal to the PCM.

#34 ·
Yeah, the gauges no longer freak out, it no longer stalls, and at tempereture fuel system primes as normal.

The only issue now with the truck is the abs light, speedometer not working, heater blower only blows on high. Ill should make a new post for that I think.

#36 ·
Replaced the speed reference sensor on the rear end. Same issue, ABS flashes and dings every couple of seconds.... No code thrown.

I checked the connector on the ABS module (While I was working the other issue) and it seemed fine, all the wires seem in good shape.

ABS module bad? There a way to test it?

#40 ·
Had the dealership scan for codes. Came up with Codes:

1. 82 - Number of tone ring teeth out of range.
2. 63 - Rear reset switch closed.

Oddly he said he hadn't seen those before. The truck has larger tires than stock, could those be the cause?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.