DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-14-2013, 11:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to Clay your truck

How to use a Clay Bar

Every car finish shares a common enemy:

Pollution. It relentlessly pursues your truck from the second it leaves the factory until your truck meets its ultimate demise. It’s in the air we breathe, it’s on the roads we drive, and it attaches to your truck’s paint, where it bonds and begins a process of oxidation. When contaminants get a solid grip on your truck’s paint, washing alone may not be enough to remove them. Pre-wax cleaners also may not be able to exfoliate large particles. In this case, you have two choices: use a polishing compound, which removes a lot of paint material, or use a ClayBar. Clay isn’t a polish or a compound, it is a surface preparation bar that smooths the paint and exfoliates contaminants.

USES FOR CLAY:

Clay is not a cure-all or a replacement for polishing. It’s a tool for removing surface contamination. One of the many reasons for using clay is the removal of brake dust. Brake dust contamination, which attaches to painted rear bumpers and adjoining surfaces, is a metallic surface contaminant that can be removed safely and effectively by using clay. Clay is also very effective on paint over-spray. If the over-spray is particularly heavy, you may want to seek the assistance of a professional. Tree sap and tar specks can also be safely removed with a clay bar. Recently, I have also started using clay on my windows (exterior) to remove heavy road film, bug deposits and water spots. It works very well, and seems to outperform even the best window cleaners.

EVALUATING YOUR PAINT FOR CLAY:

How do you know if you need to use ClayBar? After thoroughly hand washing and drying your car, stretch a piece of saran wrap over your hand extending past your fingertips. Gently slide the saran wrap across the finish of your vehicle. Does the surface feel bumpy or gritty? These bumps are contaminants attacking the finish of your car. Removing these surface contaminants (rail dust, road tar, bug residue, paint over-spray, brake pad dust, hard water spots, etc.) will improve both the look and health of your truck’s paint. No matter how well you hand-wash your car, many of the contaminants that have worked their way into your car’s paint finish will remain. Have you ever looked at your applicator pad after applying a coat of polish? What do you think that black stuff is? It’s dirt, and you’re sealing it in.

USING THE CLAYBAR:

Before using a ClayBar on your truck, you must thoroughly clean and dry your truck to remove any loose dirt. Direct sunlight should not fall on your car’s surface, and it’s best if the work area is relatively cool to prevent rapid evaporation of the clay lubricant. To use the clay bar, you spray a water-based lubricant (8 drops of dawn dish washing liquid in 16 ounces of water) on a small area of your truck and rub the bar back and forth with light to medium pressure. The ClayBar should glide across your paint like a hockey puck on ice. If the lubricant begins to dry, and the ClayBar begins to drag, you’ll need to spray more lubricant. Clay is fairly sticky, and cannot be used dry. After a few passes with the ClayBar, rub your hand over the area to feel if the surface contamination was removed. Keep rubbing until all contamination bumps are gone. Just like waxing, work in small areas at a time. Check your ClayBar frequently for hard particles. When found, pick them off. Make it a habit to occasionally knead and reform the bar so that a fresh portion of the bar contacts your truck’s paint. If you drop your bar of clay on the ground, it’s history. Toss it out. Don’t take any chances, discard the clay bar if it becomes impregnated with grit. Read the manufacturers’ directions for the number of uses of their clay bar. Do not overuse a clay bar. When you’re finished claying your truck, you should wash it to remove the lubricant film. Finally, polish and seal your freshly cleaned paint with your choice of Polish.
Sponsored links
Old 03-15-2013, 01:28 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:63
S.C. Express will become famous soon enough

Tree sap! Thank you for posting this!! That's my biggest nemesis.. Yard full of pine trees and no garage..
Rep points!
Old 03-15-2013, 08:43 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

If you have lots of tree sap, or tree sap issues, before you Clay your truck, use WD40 on them, spray your spots with it and let it soak for 5 min, then wipe them away, clay your truck and then put on 3 coats of wax, you will be good for 6 months and tree sap will be even easier to remove. Remember that tree sap will eat away the wax and WD40 also, so if you use it once in a while, make sure to dab some wax back on the area that you cleaned the sap off of.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:54 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:176
Clifford17 has a spectacular aura aboutClifford17 has a spectacular aura about

I've clayed Clifford 2 or 3 times now.... now that the weather is strting to kinda break, looks like ill be busting it out soon...
Old 03-15-2013, 09:21 AM

Vehicle: 2015 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Granite
Rep:500
dodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of light

Clay bar works awesome.. I did my truck twice last year and once in October before winter with some good wax and all threw the winter the water still beeds and rolls off the paint I love it.. Once it gets nicer out I wanna do it again.. It takes a bit of work and time but I highly recommend it
Old 03-15-2013, 03:35 PM

Vehicle: A Truck
Rep:2549
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice write up and description Asu of an important step in the wash, polish and/or wax/seal process.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Jan 20. Sad Day

Vehicle: no car
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:3248
PaulMys has disabled reputation

To hell with the forum rules, I will vote for Asur for member of the month every month from now on! LOL!
Old 03-15-2013, 08:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: WHITE
Rep:12
RamSOLJR is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the post i will definitely be doing this
Old 03-15-2013, 09:09 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:910
primo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to behold

nice write up asur...and i agree the claybar is quite the detailing tool.

i also use Ironx and Tarx for some of the less severe contaminants without risking the marring associated even with a mild clay!
2014 Dodge Ram 4X4 Sport, BakFlip F1 cover, Weathertech DigiFit Liners, BedRug bed mat, PIAA Extreme White Fog Bulbs, ProComp 2.5" / 1.5" Nitro Level Lift, Zone Off Road Upper Control Arms, ProComp 5050 20" -12 offset, MT Deagan 38 35x12.5.20, iron Cross Step Bars, DeeZee Tail Gate Strut

I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune!
Old 03-15-2013, 11:38 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Flame Red
Rep:517
shawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of light

I had paint overspray on my last ram. It took it all off and make the brilliant black look amazing!! It was a very long process(QC) BUT SOO WORTH IT!! i used mothers claybar kit, smells good too!!
12 RCSB Express- 5%Tint, Gatorhyde spray-in, Black OEM Tips, Plasti Dip badges and Interior, CBE muffler,AFE CAI, Kenwood DDX370, Ks3.5s, Pioneer 6x9s,BT 964SP lowered on oem chrome 17's and some LEDs... Plenty on the To-Do list

New audio build in progress