DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Transmission internals aren't my specialty; TransEngineer is the best person to ask for information regarding the specifics on solenoid operation. I can tell you that the TRS is designed to ground the signal wire from the PCM when in park or neutral and this enables starter operation.
Sponsored links
Old 03-26-2013, 06:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: ST
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
dodge29 is on a distinguished road

Today we heard a story of the same truck from the same dealership, having the same problem, PLUS, this truck SHUTS OFF while driving? Does this sound possible?

My wife and I are trying to see our way clear to buy a Silverado but we still owe a large amount on this Truck.

Last edited by dodge29; 03-26-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:05 AM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

It's entirely possible, but it could be from a completely different cause.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Well our truck spent the day at the dealership. I called and talked with the mechanic this morning and I told him about the potential transmission range sensor issue I heard of here. I stated it in an extremely polite manner, not wanting him to think I was challenging his ability. He said that it was "just one persons opinion" and not to believe everything you hear on the Internet (bonjour! ) . We didn't get a call to come pick it up so I stopped by after work to check on it. My salesman was there so we started to talk it over. Before I was done, two other salesmen had joined the conversation. They didn't understand why the mechanic was adverse to trying a new TRS as the cost gets charged back to Chrysler anyway. One salesman actually said that "There must be something that tells the truck when its in park" he said this before I mentioned TRS to them. They said they would have a talk with the mechanic in the morning.

More tomorrow . . . .
Old 03-28-2013, 08:12 AM

You should have told him that your info came directly from a Chrysler certified Master Technician. You can always advise him to open a STAR case if he needs assistance.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Yeah, he has said on an earlier visit that "there are several STAR cases out there on this issue" but apparenlty he's ignoring them, unless they all suggest adjusting the shift linkage. It's been there since yesterday morning. I talked to him this morning, he said the re-adjusted the linkage again and have started it several times. He wont even acknowledge the TRS approach. I'm currently talking with a nearby dealer to see if they will consider changing the TRS. They tell me that the TRS is internal on this tranny, but only requires removal of a plate to get at it. I cant believe this is taking this long.

BTW RamTech, I really appreciate all of your advice and direction!

Last edited by dodge29; 03-28-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

So, the technician re-adjusted the shift linkage again. My salesman wants to keep all communication on this matter run through him. He said that the next time it fails to start he'd ask the dealership manager to force a change of the TRS.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Same thing again this morning, no start.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:35 AM

The solenoid pack which contains the TRS is mounted to the top of the valve body. Replacement is pretty simple and takes about an hour. They should actually be able to monitor the TRS position with a scan tool if they can duplicate the issue in the shop and then be sure if it's the TRS or not. Personally, I think they're afraid of a customer being right.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:01 AM

I presume they've seen this and it's already been tried, but just in case, you may want to print this and ask about it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1364569135203_000000003b9aee34.pdf (112.2 KB, 6 views)