DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-01-2013, 09:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 ram 1500 4.7 with 4x4
Rep:10
JSGrind is on a distinguished road

i disconnected a vacuum line because i was doing spark plugs. im not original owner but engine looks original. 150k on engine
Sponsored links
Old 04-02-2013, 07:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Color: Red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
02Kingstonram is on a distinguished road

Here's what I suggest as read in another forum.........So with engine still running went down the line and started disconnecting each ignition coil wire and replacing it back on. if it ran worse after disconnection the wire i would know that the coil is working.... so when i got to the #3 coil and disconnected it there was "NO" change in the idle and there for i new it wasn't firing ... I didn't want to get to excited because i had 3 more to check, so i continued on, all showed signs that they were firing YAY!!! Recap: the only one that didn't make a difference in the idling of the car was the # 3 cylinder. by swapping the coils you can do the process of elimination and not even need a code reader. Aldo you can rule out whether it is fuel related or wire related. long shot but its the cheapest process of elimination. in the end i bought a $62 lifetime warranty ignition coil for the TB and 140k miles she has new plugs and runs smoother than ever.
P.S. I cleaned the carburetor prior to doing all of this as i had changed the batter literally the day this all happened, (cause i thought it was a bad battery, i think the coil was shorting out and drained the battery) I thought it was having trouble resetting the air flow sensor and i read when the computer resets (battery disconnect) that any carbon build up in the throttle body can cause it to not idle correctly. so do this before any repair in this order: Prayer 1st, Process of elimination 2nd, persistence, patience & politeness.

Did you have this problem prior to changing plugs?