DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-24-2013, 01:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 2500
Trim Level: big horn
Color: grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:31
autokraftgt is on a distinguished road
Default Midbass speaker change and review

For the past 8 months I have been running the DynAudio 242 System with the MW162 6.5" midbass in the factory door locations and their 102 tweeter firing up in the factory 3" location. I recently switched to DynAudio's Esotar2 650 midbass speaker and I can say is wow! What a difference. Now the Esotec MW162 is no slouch and my friend is loving them in his Honda Civic....great midbass speaker!!!
Power comes from Arc Audio KS300.4 bridged at 180 watts per midbass speaker for the record....tweeters are ran off another KS300.4 bridged as well.
Review:
frequency range for midbass is set @ 80hz-2.5khz at the moment (breaking them in) Some guys will cross these 650's at 50hz without breaking a sweat...these speakers seem bottomless.
The increase in dispersion is amazing between these two speakers...the 650's sound radiates very wide.
The midbass is much tighter/quicker than the MW162's
The midrange (since it is currently a 2-way active) is as good or better than most dedicated midrange speakers I have heard which is huge for a 2-way front stage.
I had the 650's enclosed for a while but I have recently went back to infinite baffle and I think I like it better this way. Now between 600hz-1600hz there is not much difference between enclosed and IB, but down low, the realism is much much better IB.
These 650's are very natural, warm, and detail is through the roof, and very dynamic.
The sound stage seems to be roughly a few inches higher with the 650's versus the MW162's which is HUGE considering how low Dodge Ram door speakers can "appear" to be. We sit up very high in these trucks and the dash is a monster as well...so anything that can raise the sound stage is a good good thing.
I needed no center channel for the MW162's and the Esotar2 650's are even better. My friends (who do not have Rams) are amazed at how you can NOT locate the speakers sound.
The 650's roll off the top is very natural with the 102 tweeters and the imaging is the best I've heard in this truck.
I plan on trying the Esotar 110 tweeter when I figure out how to incorperate them with their 3.5" base plate....right now the 102 tweeter is doing just fine.
These Esotar 650's are a pretty laid back woofer so if you like brightness out of your front stage, these speakers are not for you...the 102 tweeter is also a very laid back tweeter even on-axis. Which is why I think firing them up towards the windshield is do-able but it makes the stage roughly eye/ear level so Iam pleased with them off-axis.
Listening to a Dave Matthews Live recording, you can hear the grainy sound of the bow from the violinist which is NUTS!
Vocals are real, smooth, and very warm.
The snap of the snare drum on must songs is impactful in the chest, but produces no physical ear discomfort at higher volumes.
Heavy metal is a joy to listen to with the added midbass especially with drums and the crunchy lead guitars....just more volume and richness.
Tool sounds amazing!
Just a couple of pics to offer

Here's the new DynAudio Esotar2 650 midbass
Sponsored links
Old 03-24-2013, 01:48 PM

pics coming...photobucket is being stupid, must take sundays off lol
Old 03-24-2013, 02:41 PM

dynaudio esotar2 650

dynaudio 102 tweeter
Old 03-24-2013, 02:58 PM

The 102 tweeter appears to be angled in ^^pic which it was at the time. Imaging was best when I tilted them in a bit....but since then, I have doubled the power and done some time alignment tweaks so now the 102 is level with the dash and firing straight up.
Now am I leaving some imaging on the table with them being in the dash? Yes Iam without a doubt. A-pillars would probably offer a bit more staging and depth to the front stage, but stealth and utilizing factory locations was a high priority in this install.
And there is no way I will be able to fit the Esotar 110 tweeter in these locations so these 102's are staying for a while