DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-27-2013, 09:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Green & Silver
Engine: 1994-1995 359ci (5.9L) Cummins 12-valve Diesel I6 175hp 420lb/ft(manual), 160hp 400lb/ft(auto)
Rep:10
bandit1047 is on a distinguished road
Default How to bypass the ABS brakes?

I have a 95 Dodge RAM Cummins diesel with rear ABS only. I have tried to bleed the brakes with no luck; see my post; Brakes won't bleed.

After talking with the dealer, I am convinced they don't know how to fix it telling me that the module is bad or it could be the master cylinder. These part swap jerkies will change out everything that was not broke B-4 I replaced the front pads and tried to replace the old brake fluid.

Does anyone know how to bypass the ABS without setting off all the dash lights? We have an E-Check here in Ohio and they will not pass the truck with any dash light on.

I have researched this old ABS system and Several people on the Cummins and other truck forums have had great results in bypassing this system. I can't get anyone to tell me if bypassing the system, the dash warning lights come on or how to eliminate the warning lights......HELP PLEASE!!!
Sponsored links
Old 03-28-2013, 12:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 1500/1982 D150
Trim Level: Base
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:21
ramfam is on a distinguished road

Well I disabled the abs on my gmc safari by unpluging computer modual and there was no light on dash afterwards. Might be worth a shot. But abs should not effect bleeding brakes I might look into master cylnder.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 1994-1995 359ci (5.9L) Cummins 12-valve Diesel I6 175hp 420lb/ft(manual), 160hp 400lb/ft(auto)

I am looking for detailed instructions on a physical bypass;(running lines around or past the ABS module) and where all the relays and anything else I need to disconnect. On this ABS system the brake fluid passes through a pump, a antilock valve and a combination valve, all must be bled. There are check valves in these components that do not allow you to bleed the system as if it were "NON ANTILOCK"
See this website: http://dodgeram.org/tech/repair/Brakes/beeding.htm

I am trying to find more specific instructions on bleeding these components and may avoid needing to bypass the ABS. This seems to be a common problem on the 2nd generation rams, however most Dealers are clueless.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 1500/1982 D150
Trim Level: Base
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:21
ramfam is on a distinguished road

Well if bypass is the thing to do if you can't bleed with pump in place you will have to get a new preportining valve run master cylnder into that then run two new lines into dividers located on frame the one for back brakes is located on outside of drivers side frame rail behind fendershield. Front one I don't know where it is but you can back trace it. Then remove pumps relay in master fuse under hood and modual under the dash. Pop standerd brakes.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Many people don't realize that with ABS systems
when brake pads, rotors or calipers get changed
you end up having to bleed the regular system & the ABS system too

It is usually not needed, but some how the brake pedal gets pushed on, or the master cylinder is allowed to get a bit too low & air enters the system
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 03-29-2013, 10:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for your help!
Joe