DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-27-2013, 02:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram ST Quad
Trim Level: ST
Color: Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
ColoradoTommy is on a distinguished road
Default Oil Change question

Hey all,
Got a question in regard to best/ideal timeframe for oil changes.
A little background, I just moved from FL to CO a few weeks ago and had my truck pull a 6x12 U-Haul trailer the whole way. The truck performed like a champ, and just hit 5k miles rolling into town.

My wifes dodge caliber had an issue(recall flooding issue) and when I was in the dealership I asked if due to it being colder here should I have my oil changed more often then the manual miles of at 9k/6 months.

Was told by the dealership that due to the altitude(6k above sea level) that it is best to have it done every 3k miles here.
Don't get me wrong I am sure the dealership knows best, but 3k miles seems excessive. What is you'lls opinion on the matter?

Thanks for any and all input

PS I searched a few threads on it but none seemed to cover the altitude portion of it.
Sponsored links
Old 03-27-2013, 02:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

I doubt that altitude has anything to do with the frequency that you should get your oil changed. I suspect that the dealership, like most places is trying to get your continued business, and by having you bring it in every 3K miles they're just ensuring that you're there often.

Your owner's manual will tell you the proper interval of changing the oil, as well as the message that pops up on the EVIC or instrument cluster.

Having said all of that. I change my oil every 5K miles. I do it myself with Mobil 1 oil and a Mobil 1 filter. I believe that there are almost as many opinion as the best oil and filter as there are brands of both oil and filters.

Welcome to the fourmz. Be sure to stop by the newbie section for a proper welcome.

good luck

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 03-27-2013, 03:03 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Airplane oil change intervals aren't determined by what altitude they fly, but rather by engine hours, and there is no altitude stipulation in the owners manual for changing the oil more frequently at higher altitudes. This is either an uneducated or scamming dealership. Either one is a red flag, IMO.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:50 PM

Vehicle: 1993 Dakota
Color: Black
Engine: 1992-1991 239ci (3.9L) Magnum V6 180hp
Rep:11
GuyGene is on a distinguished road

Tom, I'd find a different dealer! That's not the way to keep continued business from a customer!!! Follow your owner manual.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:08 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: Bighorn Edition
Color: Red
Rep:126
wolfman01 will become famous soon enoughwolfman01 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoTommy View Post
Hey all,
Got a question in regard to best/ideal timeframe for oil changes.
A little background, I just moved from FL to CO a few weeks ago and had my truck pull a 6x12 U-Haul trailer the whole way. The truck performed like a champ, and just hit 5k miles rolling into town.

My wifes dodge caliber had an issue(recall flooding issue) and when I was in the dealership I asked if due to it being colder here should I have my oil changed more often then the manual miles of at 9k/6 months.

Was told by the dealership that due to the altitude(6k above sea level) that it is best to have it done every 3k miles here.
Don't get me wrong I am sure the dealership knows best, but 3k miles seems excessive. What is you'lls opinion on the matter?

Thanks for any and all input

PS I searched a few threads on it but none seemed to cover the altitude portion of it.
The dealer is trying to rip you off. Just get it changed at the recommended interval, or when the EVIC tells you it's time, which ever is shorter.
1995 Tiffin Allegro Bay (46k)
1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra (97k)
Old 03-28-2013, 02:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2583
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the oil change interval for the 2012 is 8,000 miles or 6 months as the Owners Manual states & they are referring to regular motor oil
Many people including myself just feel better changing oil at 5,000 miles ( personal preference )
My instrument panel sets off the change oil light at about 3,000 miles, i reset it when it first lights up & continue driving until a convenient time around 5,000 miles is reached
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 03-28-2013, 06:18 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodg Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Rep:148
JWM59 will become famous soon enoughJWM59 will become famous soon enough

Good topic. I use synthetic mobil 1 on all my cars. From my research it is good up to 14000 miles and they recommend chaning the filter at 7000 miles. I personally don't trust that information. However when the oil change ligt comes on I just reset it and wait for the next. That works out to be about every 6000 miles. Have been doing this for years with no problem. I figure synthetic is more money but it works out about the same cost wise because it doesn't break down as quick. And I can spend less time under the cars. If I were using my truck for hauling or towing I would probably change it more often.