DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-29-2013, 12:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:47
SquirrelyNutz is on a distinguished road
Default The Hemi 8 Speed Review Thread

I figured since everybody wants to know about the 8 speed with the hemi I would start a thread for the 8 speed hemi owners, test drivers, etc. to let everybody know how it is!

My review is just after driving it for about 4 hours from the dealership to the garage! Here is all the info on my truck.

I know everybody is going to be looking for the MPG stats so I will post what I have so far. And it may be different for others because I have the factory tri fold tonneau cover. I got the truck with 18 miles on it and after the 250 mile drive I have averaged 17.4 mpg. ALTHOUGH before you start raging about how much bs the mpg claims are. It is brand new and for the first 1/3 or so of the trip I was having trouble even getting 15mpg. And by the end I was getting around 20mpg going 70-75mph. So I am sure it is only going to get better if anything. Also I could have got better mpg if I didn't get as many smiles per gallon .

And the second most important thing! The power! I test drove a 6 speed sport with almost the exact same options before and I must say, the 8 speed makes a pretty big difference! I have not launched it hard or anything but I did get on it a few times, the power is unlike any of the GM trucks I have driven, this truck seems like it is much more ready to go. And I am not sure what the governer stops at but I know it is 105mph or higher. And I was not trying to top it out when I hit 105 I was actually just passing a truck and decided to see how easy it was. Lets just say I was thinking I was at 80-90 when I looked down and seen 105mph and this was my exact face . So basically, the 8 speed definitely adds a lot of power at all speeds!

And now the other stuff! The shifts are very smooth! I honestly expected to feel the truck shift a ton of times and was a little nervous, but I never even noticed the shifts unless I was in the throttle fairly hard. And the manual shifting buttons work exactly how you would expect them to so I don't have much to say about that.

Sorry I do not have more info, I haven't had enough time to play with it yet! I will be sure to make a much more detailed post later on! Also I will add some pictures once I clean all the bugs off!
Sponsored links
Old 03-29-2013, 01:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Rcsb
Trim Level: SLT 4x4 3.92
Color: PDM Metallic Gray
Rep:32
RcsbHemi is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info! I can't wait until someone tests one of these 8 speed trucks 0-60 and 1/4 mile. How are the shifts at full throttle? Are the quick/crisp?

Mods: Magnaflow DOD14(resonator removed) line-x, tint, silverstars, tonno pro trifold tonneau, LED Licence plate and reverse bulbs, 2- 27w led fog lights behind grille. more to come........
Old 03-29-2013, 01:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcsbHemi View Post
Thanks for the info! I can't wait until someone tests one of these 8 speed trucks 0-60 and 1/4 mile. How are the shifts at full throttle? Are the quick/crisp?
I will try to test 0-60 and stuff later on, I don't really want to drive it hard until I get some more miles on it. I have not really tested at WOT much yet but from what I have done they are very good. It feels like the transmission of a luxury sports car! Oh wait...
Old 03-29-2013, 07:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Outdoorsman
Rep:10
zinc69 is on a distinguished road

i test drove the V6 + 8speed and the V8 + 6speed and personally i thought the V6 felt more responsive then the hemi. wondering if the V8 + 8speed makes much more difference. if it does i may stop hunting down a pentastar i want and pull the trigger on the hemi
Old 03-29-2013, 07:48 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3872
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Go ahead and launch it hard; don't be afraid.

I've never been an advocate of the "breaking in" garbage on any new vehicle I've purchased.....or practiced it. Not a single problem in almost two dozen vehicles over the years.

I enjoyed reading your post.

Thanks.

Grub out!
Old 03-29-2013, 09:45 PM

Vehicle: '13 1500 CC 4x4 HEMI 8spd
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
domesticman is on a distinguished road

I also enjoyed reading your post. Great review!

I personally drove the sport CC 4x4 in the V8 6-spd as well as 8-spd and I don't want to sound so exaggerated here but the 8-spd did do an actual difference for me. Punched in harder and quicker and the shifts weren't even noticeable at all. I really enjoyed it. I just wish I test drove it with the air ride. I tested the Laramie's air ride and loved it but it was with the standard 6-spd hemi. Great powertrain nonetheless.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:00 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport Crew Cab Hemi
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
rraulston is on a distinguished road

"So basically, the 8 speed definitely adds a lot of power at all speeds! "

I really hope you don't believe that..........
Old 03-30-2013, 12:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraulston View Post
"So basically, the 8 speed definitely adds a lot of power at all speeds! "

I really hope you don't believe that..........
Sorry I should have said acceleration/responsiveness.

I am glad you guys like it! Here is a picture I took after washing it, sorry it was a bit dark. And yes I did wash my truck the second day of owning it :P. Had a ton of bugs on it, also the dealer had armor all on the tires and it decided it would rather be on the side of the truck then on the tire.

(sorry the pic is kind of blurry)
Old 03-30-2013, 01:38 AM

Vehicle: 13 1500 Laramie Crew 6'4
Trim Level: Laramie 8Speed 4x4
Color: True Pearl Blue
Rep:68
Cookie Monster will become famous soon enough

Congrates and nice truck even in a crappy dark pic it looks good

I knew when I looked at the specs of the 8 speed that it would be a great upgrade over the 6 speed. after test driving one I confirmed it as has every one else who has gotten the Hemi/8-speed combo.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Got a little feel of the hemi power today. I had a little "encouragement" (couple of girls ) Well I turned off tcs then held the gas and the brake until I heard the tires start to spin and I let off the brake and floored the throttle. Spun the tires up until about 30mph and continued up to about 95mph before I let off. I have no 0-60 data or anything from it because I did not want to sit there messing with my phone for a minute. Not sure who was more excited, them or me!