DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-29-2013, 05:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Big Horn Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Western Brown Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:160
Otterdriver has a spectacular aura aboutOtterdriver has a spectacular aura about
Default MDS or no MDS?

I just returned from a 300 mile round trip today and reset everything to "0" prior to leaving town, I purposely ran my truck in "6" so the MDS did not kick in, the first 40 miles were through minor hills and lots of curves, after that was 70% straight highway along with travelling through a couple of towns and then the same on the way home. Here is what I seen 3/4 of the way through my trip.
2013-03-29 14.26.43.jpg This was travelling at 65 mph on cruise. By the time I reached home again my average had climbed to 18.7 mpg US. Extremely happy so far. I think I will purposely leave my truck from now on in "6" since there is no difference in RPM from "D" where the MDS would have a chance to kick in. Way smoother on cruise.
Sponsored links
Old 03-29-2013, 06:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black & silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
rakfo is on a distinguished road

Great to hear what engine and rea? I hope mine can do that when ever it shows up
Old 03-29-2013, 06:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Otterdriver has a spectacular aura aboutOtterdriver has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakfo View Post
Great to hear what engine and rea? I hope mine can do that when ever it shows up
That's the hemi with 3:92's.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, i don't use Drive in town, i do use Drive on the highway
A person can not leave San Diego without climbing some steeper hills, MDS does not kick in while climbing. It only works a flatter ground & going down hill.
On the highway, my cruise control is on, so i don't use the gas except for passing

Most people only hear the funky MDS sound between 27 to about 50 MPH & that sound is the only thing that i dislike about the MDS, everyone looks at your vehicle when they hear that strange noise
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 03-29-2013, 06:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
Personally, i don't use Drive in town, i do use Drive on the highway
A person can not leave San Diego without climbing some steeper hills, MDS does not kick in while climbing. It only works a flatter ground & going down hill.
On the highway, my cruise control is on, so i don't use the gas except for passing

Most people only hear the funky MDS sound between 27 to about 50 MPH & that sound is the only thing that i dislike about the MDS, everyone looks at your vehicle when they hear that strange noise
For me, I won't be using "D" at all anymore, on the highway the difference between "D" and "6" is I will never hear the MDS anymore, the RPM is identical in either. I just found it way smoother without it kicking in and out of MDS when it's in "6". The sound didn't bother me that much on my 2010, it's more prominent on my new one with the dual exhaust.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '13 1500 CC 4x4 HEMI 8spd
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
domesticman is on a distinguished road

Help me out here guys in understanding. Did you manually put your shift to 6 on the highway to avoid the MDS from engaging? To add, I haven't done my research in Chryslers MDS system. Can someone shed light on that for me?
Old 03-29-2013, 10:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 RAM Outdoorsman
Color: white&mineral gray
RamJay is on a distinguished road

Either my MDS has never worked or I got a good one,as I never here anything at least with the windows up in these colder temps.I dont have the dual exhaust either so I wonder if that amplifies it and makes a difference.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:52 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by domesticman View Post
Help me out here guys in understanding. Did you manually put your shift to 6 on the highway to avoid the MDS from engaging? To add, I haven't done my research in Chryslers MDS system. Can someone shed light on that for me?
Yes sir but since you have the 8 speed, your ERS(Electronic Range Select)control buttons will be on your steering wheel. Probably says Gear+/Gear- or something to that effect. When you start your truck, simply put your gear selector knob on D and then hold your Gear- button until you see either 8 or 7 in your EVIC(Electronic Vehicle Information Center), or depending on which gear you prefer to drive around in. As long as you are out of D, your MDS(Multi-Displacement System)should be disabled and you should not see the ECO(Economy) light come on.

Hope this helps a little.

Last edited by Gantman; 03-29-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

What he said^^^^^, I never realized til I started playing around with mine. I'm still kinda puzzled why the overdrive and 6th gear in manual mode are the same other than overriding or blocking out the MDS. I like it though. My 5spd in my other truck, if you manually selected "5" you ended up taking it out of overdrive at the cost of about 200 RPM. I'm liking the new transmission!
Old 03-30-2013, 02:57 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express RC
Color: Black Express Package
Rep:62
RyanJM will become famous soon enough

I do that also and noticed better mileage. I have the 3.55's and use 4th in the city and 5th on the highway unless I have room to get it up to 80 then I use 6th. It's a much smoother ride. I don't notice any sound from the MDS but it does feel lazy on the highway. I loved my 09 with the 3.92's and I had the MDS shut off via intune. Drive like a new truck and was a lot better on gas especially when towing. With I would have for the 3.92's but since I don't tow much I ezpected the 3.55 to be a good highway gear for mileage with a claimed 390hp. Not so much.

2014 Black Express, 4.5" Maxtrac lift, Ballistic Razorback's 20x9, 35x12.5 Federal Cougaria MT's, DeeZee tailgate assist, K&N drop in filter, magnaflow 16" welded in, Diablo Trinity, 20% tint on the front and 5% on the rear glass, AVS Smoked Aeroskin, HID 3000k fogs, 6000k HID's in the projectors.