DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-29-2013, 07:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:13
s1000rrhp is on a distinguished road
Default Steering wheel clicks

New addition to the problem of my Shitty 2013 ram the steering wheel has a clicking noise when turning.
Sponsored links
Old 03-29-2013, 10:09 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:21
Gatsy92 is on a distinguished road

I know it is probably not this but just trying to help. I'm OCD and I hate how when driving the plastic makes a clicking noise on my steering wheel. Could that be it ?
Old 03-30-2013, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsy92 View Post
I know it is probably not this but just trying to help. I'm OCD and I hate how when driving the plastic makes a clicking noise on my steering wheel. Could that be it ?
Not I wish.. Sounds mechanical does it when parked as well.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:06 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4362
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

The clicking your hearing is possibly the clock spring, this is what connects your air bag to your vehicle, some also do other things like horn and buttons on the wheel, usually when you turn your steering if it does a click, click click like every 1/2" - 1" movement. I went to the dealer, they said Clock spring, 1 1/2 hours to pull steering apart at dealer to replace it. if you drive straight and you move your steering left and right just to follow the road, you will hear it, click click for every movement, this could be the clock spring. It could be grabbing somewhere withing the unit itself, or actually broke or the rotation ring is grabbing. One thing to try, is to (as your moving forward so not to stress all your steering components) pull a couple of "U" turns, left and right by turning the steering completely in both directions, if the clock spring catching somewhere it may settle back in a position where it does not click anymore. This happened to me, and that fixed it. It could be something else but this is what occurred in mine.

just to give you an idea

Last edited by Asur; 03-30-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Big Horn Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Western Brown Pearl
Rep:160
Otterdriver has a spectacular aura aboutOtterdriver has a spectacular aura about

Now if only there was clear cut answers like this write-up, awesome find through trial and error!
Old 03-30-2013, 09:39 AM

Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Oh by the way if the click you hear is pretty strong it could be contact between the cancel cam in the SCM as it passes by the release lever for the turn signal module. Here is a way to test it.

1. Start the vehicle engine. Turn off the radio and HVAC system.
2. Center the steering wheel. Verify that the turn signal lever is in the neutral/cancelled
position.
3. Slowly rotate the steering wheel at least 180 degrees to the left.
4. Slowly recenter the steering wheel.
5. Slowly rotate the steering wheel at least 180 degrees to the right.
6. Slowly recenter the steering wheel.
7. If a click-like sound was heard while performing the above steps, then lightly place
your hand on the turn signal stalk/arm when the arm is in its neutral/cancelled position.
Repeat the above steps.
8. If contact can be felt in the turn signal stalk/arm at the same time as a click-like sound
occurs, then its your Signal Cancel Cam
Old 03-30-2013, 09:47 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:21
Gatsy92 is on a distinguished road

I forgot this is the guy who complains bout everything and doesn't even drive a ram
Old 03-30-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
The clicking your hearing is possibly the clock spring, this is what connects your air bag to your vehicle, some also do other things like horn and buttons on the wheel, usually when you turn your steering if it does a click, click click like every 1/2" - 1" movement. I went to the dealer, they said Clock spring, 1 1/2 hours to pull steering apart at dealer to replace it. if you drive straight and you move your steering left and right just to follow the road, you will hear it, click click for every movement, this could be the clock spring. It could be grabbing somewhere withing the unit itself, or actually broke or the rotation ring is grabbing. One thing to try, is to (as your moving forward so not to stress all your steering components) pull a couple of "U" turns, left and right by turning the steering completely in both directions, if the clock spring catching somewhere it may settle back in a position where it does not click anymore. This happened to me, and that fixed it. It could be something else but this is what occurred in mine.

just to give you an idea

Thank you I bet it's this clock spring. It's clicks about every quarter inch each direction. ANNOYING. I will try that u turn thing. It's hard to believe a truck with 10000k has this problem already.
Oh. Ps I clay bared the tailgate and rear bumper seemed to take off the rail dust. Just hope it actually took it off. Have you heard of iron x by carpro apparently this product is great for this.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsy92 View Post
I forgot this is the guy who complains bout everything and doesn't even drive a ram
I have a a good reason to complain about a truck that was released a year prior to it's capabilities. If anything can go wrong with this stupid truck It's happened to me. So I am sorry if it seems I am complaining how ever I am a little frustrated with ram. This is my 4th ram and by far the worst.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000rrhp View Post
Thank you I bet it's this clock spring. It's clicks about every quarter inch each direction. ANNOYING. I will try that u turn thing. It's hard to believe a truck with 10000k has this problem already.
Oh. Ps I clay bared the tailgate and rear bumper seemed to take off the rail dust. Just hope it actually took it off. Have you heard of iron x by carpro apparently this product is great for this.
IronX is a great product, and not too expensive, if your vehicle is often in an environment where you get a lot of ferrous material imbedded in your paint, after a clay bar this stuff will neutralize anything left behind. Then seal and wax your truck. Nice product, I used to use it when I was on the road all the time, even between clays I would use it then re-wax my truck.