DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 1ST Generation Dodge Ram 1993 & Older Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 3.7L Slant 6 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-29-2013, 11:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1981 Dodge D150 Stepside
Rep:10
inptct is on a distinguished road
Default 1981 D150 covert to points

Hi, I'm a new member and owner of a 1981 D150 stepside slant 6. It has the lean burn system that I want to convert to points. Is it a matter of installing the distro or is there more involved. I bought it with the O2 removed and it has the non-computer controlled 1945 carb and lacks power. I could convert to ICM but it is much more expensive than buying a points distro.

Any thoughts would be great.

Norm
Sponsored links
Old 04-01-2013, 01:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 81 91 93 dodge
Rep:11
crazzywolfie is on a distinguished road

where exactly are you pricing out parts? the points distributor and electronic ignition distributors cost about the exact same from what i have priced out.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I'm basing it on a complete conversion from Lean Burn to older electronics or points. I can get most of the conversion parts from RockAuto for about $150.00 or buy a kit for $150.00 to $250.00, or just grab a points distro for $50.00 or so. If I remember correctly I should be able to just plug in the points distro and go but I am not %100 sure it will be that easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzywolfie View Post
where exactly are you pricing out parts? the points distributor and electronic ignition distributors cost about the exact same from what i have priced out.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:46 PM

but why use a point distributor? you can get a electronic ignition system distributor with vacuum advance for the exact same price as a points distributor. you may also want to try pricing out the ignition control module connector at a couple different place because rock auto want $57 for it and i think i have seen places that sell a complete harness for about $20 shipping. you could probably also order the distributor from summit and you may be able to save on shipping.
wiring harness
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-3690152
distributor
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aa...dge/model/d150
Old 04-03-2013, 04:51 PM

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:74
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

The point-type distributor will have a single hot wire to be connected to the positive terminal of the coil. Connect the vacuum advance to the carb (the correct port is vitally important.) and it's good to go. If you decide to go electronic later, the points-set can be removed and replaced with a Pertronix electronic module.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:20 PM

but why go backward in technology when for the same price you can get the newer distributor that does the exact same job and is more reliable.

In 1973 Chrysler replaced the points type ignition with an "electronic" type. Instead of points opening and closing to complete a circuit, it features a stationary contact which passes current to a rotating reluctor, set at a fixed distance. Since this system has no contacting parts, an electric current is a constant amount on each pulse, and can be much hotter, for more complete burning of fuel. Since there is no point bounce and no parts to wear out, it not only gives a hotter constant spark, but also eliminates almost all maintenance. It also offers increased secondary voltage and current for improved starting and will keep the spark plugs cleaner and give greater plug mileage as well as increased performance throughout the whole RPM range. AND YOU WON'T HAVE TO CHANGE POINTS ANY MORE.

Original is at Replacing points with Mopar or Delco electronic ignition http://www.allpar.com/mopar/nopoints.html#ixzz2PSP20rzL
Old 04-03-2013, 10:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Much better price on that harness compared to rockauto, it did seem overpriced. I'll save that for when I do go ICM.

The current distro has no vacuum so I guess I'll have to play and see which port on the 1945 will work. I do have a 1972 Scamp to go by but it has a different port setup on the carb. Hit and miss I guess.

I'll get to it this weekend and let y'all know how it goes.

Norm
Old 04-04-2013, 12:44 AM

if money is tight the current lean burn distributor will work with that wiring harness and a ignition control module but it will run better if it has the vacuum advance. i know of a couple people who have run the lean burn distributor until they could replace it with the vacuum advance distributor. i have also read that you can hook the vacuum advance on a distributor to intake manifold vacuum but you have to tune things a bit differently.