DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-12-2013, 11:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 RAM 2500 HD
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Mr.Atomic is on a distinguished road
Default Need Help for mod choices

Good Morning All,

I am picking up my 2012 2500 HEMI today and was wondering what modifications would improve my fuel mileage and horsepower. I realize the contradictory nature of that last sentence, but I am trying to find that fine line between raising my truck up to minimize diff damage, improve the fuel mileage ratio and finally increase horsepower. Could anyone provide some suggestions? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored links
Old 03-12-2013, 12:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1900
gonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant future

Common "mods" to chase after the higher MPG and HP are the big 3 IMO:

Tuner (pretty much a must if you want to feel anything noticeable)
a CAI might help some, maybe not.
free flowing exhaust (such as magnaflows for example)

a light foot and light truck are key though.

if ur planning on lifting/leveling your already heavy truck, I assume you'll be putting heavier/meatier tires on and that can kill your gas mileage.

While I do have the above mods, I like my CAI for sound,...don't think it helps more than that, maybe a little more throttle sensitivity, and i got a tuner for turning off MDS. I put 35" mud terrains on and my truck is a dog now. But i love it and i didnt buy it to save trees/save my wallet/or to be fast. I bought it to run over ricers, sit on a tailgate with a girl around a fire, run to dump, mud to my fav fishin/huntin holes. Love your truck for what it is, and kill the environment while your at it!

I'm not gonna lie and say I didn't chase the good MPG thing for awhile...but soon I think you'll realize it's kinda foolish to fret over it. I'm not sure the hundreds of dollars i have in my tuner and CAI have even paid themselves off in gas savings or if it ever will. sorry I'm ranting.. Just enjoy your truck
JVC Arsenal KD, Bilstein 5100 adjustables [maxed], aFe Stage 2 Air Intake, Superchips 3865, Husky Floor Mats, Saddleman Camo Seat Covers, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler SI/DO, 20 % Tint. 35x12.5x17 Federal Couragia M/T, 17x8.5 VTEC Warlord wheels, -12mm offest.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin776 View Post
Common "mods" to chase after the higher MPG and HP are the big 3 IMO:

Tuner (pretty much a must if you want to feel anything noticeable)
a CAI might help some, maybe not.
free flowing exhaust (such as magnaflows for example)

a light foot and light truck are key though.

if ur planning on lifting/leveling your already heavy truck, I assume you'll be putting heavier/meatier tires on and that can kill your gas mileage.

While I do have the above mods, I like my CAI for sound,...don't think it helps more than that, maybe a little more throttle sensitivity, and i got a tuner for turning off MDS. I put 35" mud terrains on and my truck is a dog now. But i love it and i didnt buy it to save trees/save my wallet/or to be fast. I bought it to run over ricers, sit on a tailgate with a girl around a fire, run to dump, mud to my fav fishin/huntin holes. Love your truck for what it is, and kill the environment while your at it!

I'm not gonna lie and say I didn't chase the good MPG thing for awhile...but soon I think you'll realize it's kinda foolish to fret over it. I'm not sure the hundreds of dollars i have in my tuner and CAI have even paid themselves off in gas savings or if it ever will. sorry I'm ranting.. Just enjoy your truck
Thanks very much gonefishin776, much appreciate the info and great suggestions! I generally put about 85,000 to 100, 000km on my trucks a year, so fuel mileage is a pretty big thing, but having said that, I do write all of it off, so I guess the more I spend the more I get back, if that makes sense. I also level out and airbag my trucks generally, along with larger tires. I use it for work predominately, but this time I was thinking of trying to reach a better ratio. I like your idea about putting in a tuner and the exhaust I idea is great. I am looking to try and counteract the bigger tires, level/lift kit, etc...this time around, if I can. I'm heading to Dodge this afternoon to discuss mods to put on and I will be bringing your suggestions with me, thanks a bunch!!

Last edited by Mr.Atomic; 03-12-2013 at 12:33 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 03-12-2013, 12:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, What Gonefishing said, pretty well sums it up. Reps for that response.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:35 PM

Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Atomic View Post
Thanks very much gonefishin776, much appreciate the info and great suggestions! I generally put about 85,000 to 100, 000km on my trucks a year, so fuel mileage is a pretty big thing, but having said that, I do write all of it off, so I guess the more I spend the more I get back, if that makes sense. I also level out and airbag my trucks generally, along with larger tires. I use it for work predominately, but this time I was thinking of trying to reach a better ratio. I like your idea about putting in a tuner and the exhaust I idea is great. I am looking to try and counteract the bigger tires, level/lift kit, etc...this time around, if I can. I'm heading to Dodge this afternoon to discuss mods to put on and I will be bringing your suggestions with me, thanks a bunch!!
I would not go to Dodge with the Tuner suggestion.

Also if your going with a lift and bigger tires, your going to loose fuel economy.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1900
gonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant future

Yeah I wouldn't tell the the dealership about a tuner. I heard of some mod friendly dealerships that even sell the tuners, but there's a chance they'll void your warranty. Now, I wouldn't be afraid to install one still. Just remove the tune and set back to stock if you ever have to take it in to the dealership, that simple.

The two main brands for tuners right now are bullydog and diablosport. I even read a thread about hypertech coming out with a legit tuner (as opposed to the cheap chips that just fool the computer)
JVC Arsenal KD, Bilstein 5100 adjustables [maxed], aFe Stage 2 Air Intake, Superchips 3865, Husky Floor Mats, Saddleman Camo Seat Covers, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler SI/DO, 20 % Tint. 35x12.5x17 Federal Couragia M/T, 17x8.5 VTEC Warlord wheels, -12mm offest.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin776 View Post
Yeah I wouldn't tell the the dealership about a tuner. I heard of some mod friendly dealerships that even sell the tuners, but there's a chance they'll void your warranty. Now, I wouldn't be afraid to install one still. Just remove the tune and set back to stock if you ever have to take it in to the dealership, that simple.

The two main brands for tuners right now are bullydog and diablosport. I even read a thread about hypertech coming out with a legit tuner (as opposed to the cheap chips that just fool the computer)
Again, totally agree here with gonefishin. I run the Bully dog and love the unit. I also have CAI and Free Flow Exhaust.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:54 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: WHITE
Rep:902
oldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to behold

The only thing that really offsets power loss from bigger tires is deeper gears. I don't care about CAI, headers, bigger exhaust even a tuner to a extent. You put on bigger tires you have to have a bigger lever (gears) to turn them. A stock engine truck with gears will run better than a modified engine truck without gears.
So unless your putting in a 6.4 superchargered HEMI to offset those big ol' tires....you need deeper gears to really have fun.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks all for your great suggestions and thoughts, they were very helpful today. I picked up my truck this afternoon (it's awesome, love the longhorn) and the Dealer and I discussed a level kit , larger tires and exhaust. The only thing I've installed thus far are mud flaps (apparently it's illegal to run without them now, in Alberta and a Husky Floor Liner kit in the interior of the truck.

I realize the issues related to gas mileage versus larger tires, lifts, etc.., as I've had a few of my diesels tricked out at one time or another. As I previously mentioned, my main goal this time around is to obtain the best ratio between tires, height and fuel, but not at the expense of any one single area. This truck will be mainly used for work, in an aggressive environment. Over the years I've had excessive fuel costs, destroyed undercarriages and a few other unpleasant issues. If I did go with a lift the dealer was going to have me sign a sheet stating that any damages/issues that were caused by the lift, the warranty would be null and void with that particular incident. They didn't seem to mind levelling kits though.

Having said that I've decided to just go with a Carli leveling kit. If I can jam in 35" tires without rubbing then I'll go with that, if not then I'll get some 10ply 33.5" rubber. As well, I will be ordering my Diamondback HD deck with extenders for my RZR in a week or so. That will take about 3 weeks to arrive from time of order. Also I will be removing the side steps and placing on the automatic drop down ones.

I do have three question though; One, has anyone put a Baja basket on the roof of their truck, that has a sunroof? I was wondering if the basket would prevent the roof from rising up or opening. Has anyone here have a basket on their roof and if so were there any issues?

Two; I was wondering about LED light bars, I was thinking of attaching some to the front of the Baja basket. Does anyone have a good suggestion what brand to use?

Three; Is the Carli level kit the best one to go with? If not is there a better one?

My apologizes for the long windedness of my post, it's always a great day when one can pick up a new RAM truck. I'm a wee bit excited to start kitting it out tomorrow.

Last edited by Mr.Atomic; 03-14-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Does anyone have any 35" tire suggestions. I was thinking of going with Toyo MT Open Country; 35" x 12.5 x 17. I was wondering if there is a better choice. I'm looking for a tire that will go cross country down a right of way and has not been stumped yet, but still travels relatively quiet on the highway. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew