DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-31-2013, 09:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:910
primo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeMi BosS View Post
2013 ram hemi sport, first time owning a truck and first time ever waxing a vehicle.

so what wax do you guys use and what do you guys use to wax the truck. also whats the right way to do it and how long does it usually take.

thanks.
Ed you should recognize this advice! hopefully you can chime in with anything you may have learned since you just got the new rig!

Well it just depends on how detailed you want to get to be honest, and whether you are looking to use wax, sealant, or a coating, whether youre going to be shopping OTC at autozone type places, or are looking ofor more professional, concours type products online, something else to consider is whether you are going to hand or machine polishing.

First off, you can do somethng called the baggie test. basically, put a ziplock on your hand and just feel the paint with it...this will help let you know if the paint needs clayed..if it is relatively smooth feeling, IronX, if really rough, mild clay, but be careful and se lots of lube. Optimum no rinse is my fav product becuase at different dilutions, it makes many products including clay lube.

Since you are getting a new truck, im not too sure that a clay bar is necessary only because you can marr or scratch the paint with clay, and you may require a machine polishing to get the scratches out..Id go with a chemical cleaning with IronX instead and that way a polish by hand is all that should be necessary to clean the paint to be properly prepped to accept the wax/sealant of choice (unless you are considering a permanent or semi perm. coating like Opti-coat or Cquartz...both i highly recommend).

Again depending on hand or machine polishing, i have some suggestions...By machine, you cant go wrong with anything by Optimum. the hyper compound and polish are about the best on the market for ease of use, and affordibility. Sonax also makes a great line of machine polishes. If going it by hand, id go with Sonax Paint Power Cleaner (step 1 of a two step process). Easy hand application, and very easy to use.

If youre not looking for a permanent coating and want some durable wax, Sonax Hybrid Tech Wax is the step 2 of step one above. It is a carnuaba polymer blend, so has the best of both worlds...the warm natural glow of a carnuaba wax, and the durability f a polymer or man made sealant. Also, I love love love, Optimum car wax. So easy to use and works great. for over the counter products that easy to use and second to none, i would stick to duragloss....a very fine and affordable OTC product.

If you want a sealant, which will give you much longer durability, Menzerna Powerlock...again assuming you are going to be working by hand and arent looking for a ceramic or permanent coating. The only issue with a synthetic sealant is that they tend to give a candied look to the paint...high gloss and shine, but sometimes misses the warmth of wax.

of course, we all know that oopinions are like horseholes...everyone has one and they all stink! seriously though, everything i recommend i have tested and found to work great...if not, i dont recommend them...ive wasted lots of time and money on subpar stuff, and remember, the "best" or "fav" product is really subjective which one is better, looks nicer etc.

for me, im thinking ease of use...all of these products are simple to use, easy to buff off and leaves a great shine, all with hand application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkem View Post
You should ask the expert - Primo Spaghetti......He can assist you.

Ed
Hey thanks for the vote of confidence Ed! the new pic of your ride looks awesome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
Check out Zaino Brothers, been using it for over 15 years, easy on easy off and lasts 6 months on 3 coats, 1 year on 5, amazing product and if your arm hurts putting this on, your doing it wrong.
Alot of following with the Zaino line, and ive never tried it. there alot of info ive read to suggest that zaino is just rebranded and pricier Duragloss. if Zaino is infact Duragloss, that is why Zaino has such a loyal following.

here are a couple of posts i did after doing my wifes highlander and my Ram with Optimum products including Opti Coat. if you have a machine polisher, this is the route id go.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=124080

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=126140

Jeff
2014 Dodge Ram 4X4 Sport, BakFlip F1 cover, Weathertech DigiFit Liners, BedRug bed mat, PIAA Extreme White Fog Bulbs, ProComp 2.5" / 1.5" Nitro Level Lift, Zone Off Road Upper Control Arms, ProComp 5050 20" -12 offset, MT Deagan 38 35x12.5.20, iron Cross Step Bars, DeeZee Tail Gate Strut

I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune!

Last edited by primo spaghetti; 03-31-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 03-31-2013, 09:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2549
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

I use Griot's garage with very good results, easy to use and offer lots of information and help for the inexperienced.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: Black
Rep:19
blackedout12 is on a distinguished road

If have a Black Truck, I have used the Turtle Wax just for black cars, it is freaking amazing. It will get all the fine scratches out and will shine for hours. That is until the pollen blows up.

Mods from Bully Performance:
AirLift 1000's, Jet T-Stat 180*, Vararram-T1000-Future Mods--Ordered
Old 03-31-2013, 10:04 PM

Vehicle: 2010 1500 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT- Big Horn
Color: White
Rep:19
dig is on a distinguished road
Default waxing

I know that this is not a true waxing but just try rain-x wash and wax, You will not believe the shine. I did my wife car and she was so surprised and ask me how long it took to wax her car. I will never tell.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:06 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Flame Red
Rep:517
shawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of light

I used mothers paste for the longest time, along with megs ult polish. no complaints on either. The mothers shine and beading last a long time for a 10 dollar can. I usually wash my truck once a week and dry it while using mothers spray wax. I just bought megs nxt2.0 and will be giving that a review soon.

Only thing with the mothers is watch the plastics!! As with most paste waxes, it will stain them white. Lol.
12 RCSB Express- 5%Tint, Gatorhyde spray-in, Black OEM Tips, Plasti Dip badges and Interior, CBE muffler,AFE CAI, Kenwood DDX370, Ks3.5s, Pioneer 6x9s,BT 964SP lowered on oem chrome 17's and some LEDs... Plenty on the To-Do list

New audio build in progress
Old 04-03-2013, 09:24 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:365
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

You can take the time to mask the plastic parts to prevent wax from getting on them or you might try Collinite 845 wax, it does not stain or discolor the plastic.
Jay
Old 04-03-2013, 09:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

primo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Ya View Post
You can take the time to mask the plastic parts to prevent wax from getting on them or you might try Collinite 845 wax, it does not stain or discolor the plastic.
Jay
very true;

im not really using many waxes anymore, but another tip i learned before was to dress the plastic prior to waxing..then if you accidentally hit the plastic, the wax didnt penetrate the dressing....

id say to use tape though....
2014 Dodge Ram 4X4 Sport, BakFlip F1 cover, Weathertech DigiFit Liners, BedRug bed mat, PIAA Extreme White Fog Bulbs, ProComp 2.5" / 1.5" Nitro Level Lift, Zone Off Road Upper Control Arms, ProComp 5050 20" -12 offset, MT Deagan 38 35x12.5.20, iron Cross Step Bars, DeeZee Tail Gate Strut

Old 04-06-2013, 04:12 PM
"Just living the dream"

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn Rambox
Color: Prairie Pearl / White Gold Trim
Rep:1634
Chunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant future

Hey Primo.

Those products that you recommended work awesome. I will be in touch for a few extra bottles...... As far as Zaino goes, my one friend uses it on his trucks and motorcycles and absolutely loves it. I guess it all comes down to doing your research and what effect your looking for.

If you have any questions about wax and sealants PRIMO is your go to guy for sure.....

Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!

Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES

"MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SITE"
Old 04-06-2013, 05:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Thanks Ed!

your friend that likes the zaino, ask him if he's tried Duragloss...ive been told by some very respected individuals that they are one in the same...

Id be curious to know since ive never tried zaino, but i have Duragloss coming.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:58 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram CC 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black (PX8)
Rep:388
ONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs283020 View Post
This took me about 2 hours with wash, clay, and wax. [IMG][/IMG]
2 hours Earth time??? It takes me over an hour just to wash and dry my truck!!!