DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: PRP Deep Cherry Red
Rep:77
CherryRam will become famous soon enough
Default Made My Own Fender Hash Marks

I wanted to do the hash marks on my 12' but just couldn't justify the $100 price tag on the decal kits. The cost of a 10ft length of matte black vinyl was $15 so I thought I'd attempt it. At first I was going to get our decal guy at work to do it for me but he came up with cancer before he got time to do it and passed away a few weeks ago. So I got out a my utility knife, a ruler, protractor and a straight edge and went at it. Came out better than I expected! Figured with my luck it would end up crooked with a 1 inch gap at the bottom and a 2 inch gap at the top but it's all even

12' Ram 1500 Sport
03' Acura RSX-S
07' Suzuki GSXR 750
Sponsored links
Old 03-30-2013, 11:39 PM

Vehicle: 2012 RAM
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:312
Chris b is a jewel in the roughChris b is a jewel in the roughChris b is a jewel in the roughChris b is a jewel in the rough

Looks like it came out good to me... nice job
K&N 63cai\Fastman 84mm\BT catch-can\e-fan\180 t-stat\Flowmaster super44\Belltech 2"-4" 964sp\BT custom shifter\20% tint\light blue racing stripes\BD pillar pod\Diablo trinity\Hemifever custom tune\two Memphis 10" subs\custom ported box\Memphis 600amp\Weathertech techliner\MBRP 5" tips\ ARH 1 7/8 long tube headers
Old 03-31-2013, 12:58 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Rep:63
S.C. Express will become famous soon enough

Very nice, I'd pay you to do my truck if you were closer.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:21 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep:99
TexasBorn will become famous soon enough

Can you elaborate on your process and what vinyl or where you got it? i've been dying to do this on my truck and trying to avoid going to a shop to actually have one sprayed on or order a decal
Old 03-31-2013, 01:50 AM
Cheap Canadian Labour

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 QC TRX4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1808
ShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant future

Looks great nice job!!!
Old 03-31-2013, 03:31 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 CC
Color: White
Rep:264
012RAMbo is a jewel in the rough012RAMbo is a jewel in the rough012RAMbo is a jewel in the rough

Looks good man! Going to do the same to mine when i get some free time.
Cabin Air Filter -Debadged -14" Magnaflow -Mopar T Grip Shifter -Foxbox w/ 10" Type Rs -B Pillar tape removed -Tint matched - Rear level - 22'' SRT-10 reps on 305/45/22 nitto 420s -AMP Power Steps - Custom retro headlights
Old 03-31-2013, 07:26 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Big Horn QC
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:116
05cr125r will become famous soon enough05cr125r will become famous soon enough

nice work man...looks great !
Mods; Line X, Bilsteins set at 2.1, Magnaflow 18", Debadged , Cool White LED Interior, LED license plate, Cool White LED reverse, Fronts tinted 20 %, Stubby Antenna,AVS WindowVisors, Black Honeycomb Grille Insert, Green Performance Air Filter
Old 03-31-2013, 07:57 AM

Vehicle: 2015 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Granite
Rep:505
dodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of light

Wow that turned out great!! Love those stripes on the rams looks good
Old 03-31-2013, 08:08 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4373
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice job, great stuff, what is it plasti dip?
Old 03-31-2013, 11:57 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Color: PRP Deep Cherry Red
Rep:77
CherryRam will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBorn View Post
Can you elaborate on your process and what vinyl or where you got it? i've been dying to do this on my truck and trying to avoid going to a shop to actually have one sprayed on or order a decal
The vinyl I picked up a local vinyl and graphics shop called Victory Vinyls. If I were to do it again though I'd go with something a bit thicker like 3M vinyl. The brand I used is Avery Graphics vinyl and it's a bit thin and might not take rocks very well. I took a protractor and decided on an angle I liked, I went with 70 degrees. Measured the length fron the fender line to about 1/4 of the way into the hood, a good point of reference is to about where the wiper base is on the drivers side (not big on the stripes that go right to the cowl of the non-sport hoods) I measured the stripes out to be 20" long and used a utility knife and a solid straight edge to cut them out. I went with 5 1/2" wide for the stripes. I then mixed up an empty spray bottle with water and a couple drops of dish soap. I had a spray bottle with rubbing alcohol handy as well. I took a dry erase marker and a measuring tape and measured where the bottom line of the first stripe on both sides would go. I went with 8 inches from the edge of the fender at the door. Taped it down only only on the bottom edge along on the fender line. I let the stripe hang down by the wheel and slowly pulled the backing off, spraying lots of soapy water on the adhesive side as I went. Once the backing was all off I sprayed alcohol on the fender where the stripe would sit and then I flipped the stripe back up into position. Touching the adhesive isn't a big deal, the soapy water keeps it from sticking to your fingers. I got it into position where I wanted it since the soapy water lets you slide it around a bit. I started at the bottom since lineing up with the fender body line is one of the more important areas, I used a scraper with paper towel folded over the edge to keep it from scratching or gouging, and from the bottom (masking tape still holding the bottom line in place) I started to push the water upwards and out from under the stripe just to the top of the fender. I then pulled the stripe still on the hood back so I could spray alcohol under it and layed the stripe back down. I made sure it lined up and sat nicely in the curve of the hood near the fender and carefully started to work the water upwards again right to the top end of the stripe. I pushed all the water out of the sides (you may fight with a few spots on the sides that pop up, you can spray a bit of alcohol in them don't lift just spray it towards the opening and then use the scraper to push it outwards again) I used my utility knife to cut the joint between the hood and fender, I carefully trimmed right along the edge of both, you can fold it over but I've seen decals peel off later when you do that. don't press when cutting where there is paint underneath, just let the knife drag along the vinyl. I then used a heat gun on it a bit to help seal it down just blowing it around the edges, sometimes little bubbles show up when you do this. Just push the bubbles outwards with the scraper or your finger. Then go on to the next stripe and do the same, I put 1 inch between the stripes.

I should have done some pics and a how to, it would make more sense. I may do it on my mom's durango for fun, I'll do pics on it if I do. But feel free to ask me any questions. I'm not the full time paint protection film or decal installer at work because I don't have the patience but I do know how the process works.

12' Ram 1500 Sport
03' Acura RSX-S
07' Suzuki GSXR 750