DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-29-2011, 03:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black Pearl Coat
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:25
Zerox is on a distinguished road
Default Recon Tail Light help

I am having issues installing my recon tail lights, The recon lights only have one harness and the oem has 2. Plus the harness doesnt fit with the oem. Do you need to cut and splice the wires?
Sponsored links
Old 08-29-2011, 04:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi 4x4
Trim Level: SLT/TRX4 Off Road/SP
Color: Light Khaki Metalic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:18
Johns HEMI 2500 is on a distinguished road

Call or e-mail Recon and they will help you. You can get the number on their website.

Recon Smoked Cab Lights, Smoked Tail Lights. Big Rig Ice Running Lights, White Lightning Tail Gate Bar. Tech Tubes wheel to wheel nerf bars. 2" Revtek Leveling Kit. 35x12.5x17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
Old 08-29-2011, 05:20 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns HEMI 2500 View Post
Call or e-mail Recon and they will help you. You can get the number on their website.
^^^^ That's good advice, I would check with them before cutting any wires.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:713
platinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to behold

how about posting up a pic of what your trying to do i replied in the other thread you posted in but now i dont think its what you were talking about so a pic would help better
MODS... tinted windows,cf dash kit,6000 k fogs and low beam,heavy duty rubber mud flaps,recon tails 3rd break,L.E.D liscenceplate,reverse lights,factory side steps,afe intake,bakflip toneau cover,magnaflow exhaust,diablo predator,33' trail grapplers,bilstein 5100's,laminx head/fogs,shorty antenna,
Old 08-29-2011, 07:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Color: Brilliant Black Pearl Coat
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:25
Zerox is on a distinguished road

Here are some pics

As you can see the OEM has 2 harnesses and the Recon only has the one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(3).jpg (49.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg photo(4).JPG (90.5 KB, 49 views)
Old 08-29-2011, 08:34 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

The left OEM harness is the main brake and running lights, twist and pull it out, remove the bulb and plug the recon harness into it. The right OEM harness is the reverse light, just twist and pull it out of the OEM light and use it on the recon. The hole should be keyed the same. If they are like mine you will be using the existing OEM bulb and harness for your reverse lights on the new Recon lights. Hope this makes sense.......
Old 09-04-2011, 12:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2112 Ram
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Scarriere is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerox View Post
I am having issues installing my recon tail lights, The recon lights only have one harness and the oem has 2. Plus the harness doesnt fit with the oem. Do you need to cut and splice the wires?
I have these lights too and don't like not being able to install them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RansRAM View Post
The left OEM harness is the main brake and running lights, twist and pull it out, remove the bulb and plug the recon harness into it. The right OEM harness is the reverse light, just twist and pull it out of the OEM light and use it on the recon. The hole should be keyed the same. If they are like mine you will be using the existing OEM bulb and harness for your reverse lights on the new Recon lights. Hope this makes sense.......
I will hopefully comprehend this a bit better tomorrow (havin a couple,haha) and try it.
It's frustrating when it's not plug n play.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:05 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Color: Black
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerox View Post
NO...NO....don't cut anything....they are 'Plug & Play'

Quote:
Originally Posted by RansRAM View Post
Exactly! RansRAM has nailed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarriere View Post
I have these lights too and don't like not being able to install them.

I will hopefully comprehend this a bit better tomorrow (havin a couple,haha) and try it.
It's frustrating when it's not plug n play.
It IS Plug & Play....just not the way you think it is.

I'll try to add to what RansRAM said -
In the pic, the OEM wire on the right, is the reverse (backup) lamp. Since the Recon unit doesn't have a reverse bulb, remove this (twist and pull out) and install into the Recon in the same position. Backup Lights DONE!

For the other light, remove the entire bulb assembly, wire harness and all (again, twist and pull out). Now pull out the bulb, and plug the Recon unit into the bulb socket. DONE!

Recon's definition of 'Plug & Play' differs from the rest of the automotive world, but it is still....'Plug & Play'....with a twist.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 09-04-2011, 12:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2112 Ram
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:10
Scarriere is on a distinguished road

Zerox, thank you for this thread and posting pics.
RansRAM, thanks for sharing knowledge.
brad12kx thanks for elaborating on the info.

I was kinda dejected for buying something that looked pretty cool, but not being able to install it. Because of you Guys, I just finished installing the t.l. and 3rd brake light and does it ever look great! My Girlfriend a big smile when I asked her to check it out when I was finished!
Been here only a couple of days and got some excellent help already!
Awesome!!!
Old 09-04-2011, 04:20 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Color: Black
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent! It sure is nice when a mod not only pleases you, but the GF is happy too!

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI