DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-31-2013, 11:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3872
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromag View Post
Why? Because they're going to do a worse job or rip you off any more than your dealership would? I'd find it more likely that you'd bring it to a dealership for an oil change and they'd tell you about all these other issues they noticed while changing the oil and they need to fix them (for a price).
Build a solid rapport/relationship with your dealership and its Service Dept. and you'll never have to feel that way.

Without building one, I most certainly understand your concern.

As for the first part: Jiffy Lube are the number one culprits for oil change scams. There have been countless news programs about them ripping customer off for the very same reason I explained earlier.

As for Walmart: we have a firefighter in our current truck house whos son started with Walmart's Service Center last Spring; the horror stories he often tells us are quite an eye opener. One example: Staff taking goods that customers have paid for, replacing them with inferior or no products at all, and claiming to have performed the service, is not a customer service center I want to have any association with. Oh, and it's a common occurrence apparently.

Grub out!
Sponsored links
Old 04-01-2013, 12:02 AM

Vehicle: Don't own a Dodge
Rep:10
Chromag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
As for the first part: Jiffy Lube are the number one culprits for oil change scams. There have been countless news programs about them ripping customer off for the very same reason I explained earlier.

As for Walmart: we have a firefighter in our current truck house whos son started with Walmart's Service Center last Spring; the horror stories he often tells us are quite an eye opener. One example: Staff taking goods that customers have paid for, replacing them with inferior or no products at all, and claiming to have performed the service, is not a customer service center I want to have any association with. Oh, and it's a common occurrence apparently.
I was just using them as examples. I'm sure there are other non-dealership outfits that are on the up-and-up and can work out an oil change cheaper than the dealership could. I take my car (wife does the same) to a Texaco shop where I drive up and they change it without me having to get out of the car.

You want an awesome Wal-Mart horror story? My wife had a friend in college who took her car to them for an oil change. They changed the oil like she asked, no shenanigans involved. What they didn't do was put the plug in properly. She's driving down the highway and suddenly her entire dash lights up because all her oil leaked out due to the plug and her engine was toast.

I'm not saying I'm a fan of using Wally world for an oil change, but like anywhere, I'm sure it depends on the location. Some are better than others I'm sure.

I had a Jiffy Lube rotate my tires on my Mustang once - they were Z-rated performance tires. They're designed to only rotate in one direction - they have a big ole arrow on the side. When they rotated the tires they ignored this and all four were set in the wrong direction.

Ok wait - so maybe taking your truck into Wal-Mart of Jiffy Lube isn't a good idea. I think I just invalidated my own point
Old 04-01-2013, 12:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 2500 CTD; 6.4 Ordered
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Western Brown
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:139
HorseMan will become famous soon enoughHorseMan will become famous soon enough

I enjoy doing most all my general maintenance, oil and filter changes especially. I'm very particular, and doing it yourself ensures its done correctly the first time.

Grub is right, however. If you get to know your dealership folks, and trust them, I'm sure they would do a fine job. I'm certain there are many reputable places out there, but my vehicles will never see a Jiffy Lube or Walmart oil change!

Besides, Walmart may sale most anything, but they don't sell Amsoil.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 ram 1500
Trim Level: outdoorsmen
Color: bright white
rick19879 is on a distinguished road

dealership said i can buy and ring my own oil and filter and they charge $17 to do it. canadian
Old 04-01-2013, 02:18 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport Crew Cab Hemi
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
rraulston is on a distinguished road

Just changed my oil today. Quaker State 100% synthetic was like $6.48 X 7 quarts and $9 or something for a Mopar filter. All bought at Wal-Mart. When done, take the used oil to Oreilly and dump it off. By the way, Mobile 1 does not have the Chrysler rating on their bottle, QS does. Don't know if that makes a difference, but proving a warranty??? who knows....
Old 04-01-2013, 02:20 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Color: Gray
Rep:32
Thet is on a distinguished road

Now adays it's cheaper to have someone do your oil for you than to do it yourself, but I tend to like to do it myself for peace of mind.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:24 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 3500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Maximum Steel Matallic
Rep:62
crabjoe will become famous soon enough

It doesn't make any difference where one takes their vehicle to... dealer, Wally World, Jiffy Lube, etc. It comes down to the person doing the work. You can find good hard working people or crooks anywhere!

As for having a relationship with a dealer's service department... How does one do this unless they take it in for regular maintenance or have warranty work done on a regular bases? Even then, it usually doesn't mean much because you're only going to show up a few times a year and they deal with hundreds of people in between your visits....

The only thing you'll get, by having your maintenance done at a dealership, is if there's something iffy that happens, they might go to bat for you to get it covered under the factory warranty. But even if you did have all your maintenance done by the dealer, it also doesn't mean they will.

An honest dealer will get you covered, regardless of where you have your maintenance done, if the breakdown isn't caused by abuse. Sometimes they'll do it even if it was cause by abuse...
Old 04-01-2013, 04:38 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 2WD Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT w/Big Horn EQ GP
Color: True Blue Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:119
plumcrazy73 will become famous soon enoughplumcrazy73 will become famous soon enough

changing your own or or having a quick lube place will not void your warranty just keep receipts. not changing it will.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Color: Grey
Rep:20
Hdscott is on a distinguished road

Ijust changed my oil this weekend with Mobil 1 the oil i paid $6.75 a Quart @ 7 Quarts so Around $49 and $5 bucks for the oil filter
Old 04-01-2013, 08:21 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 CC 4X4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Rep:83
SFVDOC will become famous soon enough

I will not use Jiffy Lube. Too many cars have been damaged in our family by Jiffy. Overfilled the oil in my daughters Honda accord, stripped the drain plug in my Honda accord, and the worst is they forgot to reattach a transmission cooler line on my dads van after a transmission flush causing the tranny to loose it's fluid and pretty much get toasted. There is no way I'm going to let those yoyo's touch my 4x4. So I found a good indy near my house that will do the oil changes. Or I do it myself.