DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-21-2013, 06:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Big Horn Quad
Trim Level: SLT
Color: deep cherry Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
fireman21 is on a distinguished road
Default fold vs roll tonneau...which one is best?

So i want to get a tonneau for my nice new truck but i dont know which one to get. So my question is which style is the best to have? any pros or cons? best bang for buck? i like the truxedo loroll but im not a huge fan of the velcro. how well does it actually seal? does it not let any water in at all? i dont want to be fighting with the velcro between hot and cold or constantly have to go back around re strapping it to make sure its sitting rigth and seald. but on the other hand i love the fact that i can fully use the bed when i want to...IE put a quad in the back and be able to close tail gate. i know that with a lot of fold covers you cant because even if it does lean up again back window it still takes up a third of the bed. are there any fold up ones that fold flat against the back window? and if so does it lay flat across when stretched out or does it have a bow in cover? what are the best brands to go with? id like for whatever cover i get to not bow, cover bed easily without much if any at all adjusting or playing with it so it will lay and seal right. Thanks for all your help. i know you guys know your stuff and can help me out.
Sponsored links
Old 09-21-2013, 08:50 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Crew Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl Coat
Rep:50
MorePwr will become famous soon enough

My personal suggestion is Agri-Cover. http://www.agricover.com/access/ All other brands have stolen their design.

The cross bows sit level with the rails, and are attached to the cover, so when you roll it up, they roll with it. Typically it will not need re-tightening. Once you set it it's done. I also drove mine all winter with snow stacked on it. Never collapsed, but I didn't expect it to since the company is based in North Dakota. I figured they did field studies with it.

The covers fit correctly and the company DOES honor their warranty! What are you trying to protect? I sold covers of all brands (Roll N Lock, Agri Cover, Trifecta, Rugged, Etc) and styles (hard, soft, folding, etc). Every cover allowed water in during heavy storms, or high pressure car washes.

Every person I sold an Access Cover to gave nothing but compliments. It fits, it looks great, and it works for 95% of people who want a soft cover.

As far as the velcro, I used a cover for almost 4 years in North Dakota winters, and never had an issue with the velcro. I sold the cover and the guy used it until he sold his truck for another 2 years with no issue.

More expensive? Yes. Worth EVERY penny!!

Last edited by MorePwr; 09-21-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:2538
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

I personally like the hard fold-up style for security, durability and no flapping. In my case I am very happy with the Bak Flip F1 on my truck. It folds in 4 sections and allows me the ability to use my entire bed if needed. The only downside would be for someone who drives a lot with a full bed, because the panels stand up behind the cab, blocking a good portion of the window. For me this would be a rare occasion, so not a disadvantage for my use, but some it might be. Depending on how much you want to spend, price can be a factor as the hard style is more expensive than the soft. The only advantage I see to the soft tonneau covers is price.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Fold-a-Cover is on a distinguished road

Fireman21

One thing we've noticed when it comes to selecting the right tonneau cover for you is that there is no cover out there that is "the best." Only covers that are "the best for you." You'll need to figure out what aspects of a cover you are looking for, as in: Is it water-tight? Does it secure or is it lockable? Will you need to remove the cover often? If so, how easy is it to remove? And so on...

That said, we at Fold-a-Cover feel that we make the best hard-folding tonneau cover out there. Please check us out! I don't think you will regret it!
http://www.foldacover.com/

We have been manufacturing hard-folding tonneau covers for over 25 years and have been an OE Supplier to both Chrysler and GM for over 18 years.

Our covers can be opened from the cab side or the tailgate side. Each of the opening panels is independently lockable. Our cover installs on top of the bed rails so that we can address water before it even has a chance to get into your truck bed (instead of using gutters and drain tubes).

Currently we are offering free shipping on any cover purchased through our Factory Store website. Additionally we are offering a free tailgate seal and a free extra year of warranty.

Use the forum code: RF25FAC to save an additonal $25 off your order for being a RamForumz member!

Please feel free to PM me any questions you might have.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:58 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Big Horn Quad
Trim Level: SLT
Color: deep cherry Red
fireman21 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fold-a-Cover View Post
Fireman21

One thing we've noticed when it comes to selecting the right tonneau cover for you is that there is no cover out there that is "the best." Only covers that are "the best for you." You'll need to figure out what aspects of a cover you are looking for, as in: Is it water-tight? Does it secure or is it lockable? Will you need to remove the cover often? If so, how easy is it to remove? And so on...

That said, we at Fold-a-Cover feel that we make the best hard-folding tonneau cover out there. Please check us out! I don't think you will regret it!
http://www.foldacover.com/

We have been manufacturing hard-folding tonneau covers for over 25 years and have been an OE Supplier to both Chrysler and GM for over 18 years.

Our covers can be opened from the cab side or the tailgate side. Each of the opening panels is independently lockable. Our cover installs on top of the bed rails so that we can address water before it even has a chance to get into your truck bed (instead of using gutters and drain tubes).

Currently we are offering free shipping on any cover purchased through our Factory Store website. Additionally we are offering a free tailgate seal and a free extra year of warranty.

Use the forum code: RF25FAC to save an additonal $25 off your order for being a RamForumz member!

Please feel free to PM me any questions you might have.

my only problem is that i haul a quad around quite often in the summer time and i dont want to have to remove the cover every time i want to haul it and close my tailgate. i would be sold if your cover would somehow fold up to back window if i desired it to. it does look like the best built in the industry but for my needs im not so sure it would work. I mean grant it, I could leave tailgate down but I like the feeling of the tailgate up for that added security just in case something happens. design me one that flips up and we would have something to talk about lol
Old 09-30-2013, 08:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Fold-a-Cover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman21 View Post
my only problem is that i haul a quad around quite often in the summer time and i dont want to have to remove the cover every time i want to haul it and close my tailgate. i would be sold if your cover would somehow fold up to back window if i desired it to. it does look like the best built in the industry but for my needs im not so sure it would work. I mean grant it, I could leave tailgate down but I like the feeling of the tailgate up for that added security just in case something happens. design me one that flips up and we would have something to talk about lol
We have chosen not to design our cover to flip up to the back window because we want you to be able to see what you're hauling back there.

Our cover can be removed in about 5 minutes if you have the proper wrench to remove the bolts. However, it sounds like you don't want to remove the cover at all. And, as we stated, the search for the right tonneau cover is all about finding the one that meets all of your needs.

Unfortunately we do not have any plans for a redesign in the near future. But if you have any more questions about our current models please feel free to ask!
Old 09-30-2013, 02:00 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4WD Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Maximum Steel
Rep:33
theGSE10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman21 View Post
You might want to consider the BAK Roll-X, I was in the same position as you...I wanted the usability of a roll up but the protection and durability of a hard cover for when I go to tailgates. The Roll-X pretty much did both, it'll roll up to the cab and leave you plenty of room to fit your ATV and has a metal construction with a vinyl cover on top. IMO it is the type of thing you're looking for too.

Def not 100% waterproof, though not many are. They did give me plenty of weather stripping, however I went to home depot and got some better stuff instead. Bought it more for security than weatherproofing.
Hellwig rear sway bar / Green filter / Borla XR-1 / Line-X / Bak Roll-X / AMI shorty antenna / Raptor 4" nerf bar / Mopar tow hooks / Moroso Catch Can / Bilsteins @ 2.1 / Fox 2.0 rear / TGC .75 rear spacer / Air Lift 1000 / Bak Box 2 /

Pics: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ut4enlwx4fslgd8/slpdRXv6z2