DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-01-2013, 09:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:15
tme1972 is on a distinguished road
Angry Brakes From Hell!

I have a 2008 RAM 1500 Quad cab, Sport 4x4 with the 5.7 Hemi. At 50K miles I had the brakes looked at for no reason other then having 50K on them, turned out they were lower then I was comfortable with so I had all four corners replaced (pads and rotors). A few days later I'm back in the shop because aside from a soft pedal, I can feel the brakes engaging at 2 different times while pushing down the brake pedal. Nuts you say, but the mechanic felt it too. Got it back and had this super hard pedal and the brakes felt great. Less then 1K miles later, I have a soft pedal and more brake fade then I can deal with, plus the whole front of my truck is covered in brake dust. I bring it back in and of course no one finds anything wrong so I pick it up. Again I have this super hard brake pedal and it feels great, 4 days later I'm back to mush. I call the shop manager and tell him this story, he has me bring it back in and he will test drive it. He calls me the next morning after driving it in heavy morning rush hour for 5 miles and is so off kilter because the brake fade had him that nervous. He has the brakes looked at again and can see glazing on the front pads. He puts on original pads, not the cheaper better priced ones they first put on, and has me pick it up. Again, I have this hard brake pedal and I love it. Another 2 weeks go by and I'm back to mush. I have had this since new so I know without thinking how far my break pedal travels before my brakes engage, just like I'm sure everyone knows too, thing is, I'm going so far past that point that I scare myself. I have also had to start doing a quick double pump to get my pedal back up to a normal position and when your coming to a stop you can't always do that.
I know something is wrong here but I lack the knowledge on newer brake systems do do anything here but I'm so ticked off I'm ready to trade it.
Has anyone seem/heard of anything like this?
I heard of collapsed brake lines on RAM's but the symptoms aren't the same. This has been in the shop 4 times in 2K miles.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored links
Old 04-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Express 5.7L 4x4
Trim Level: EXPRESS
Color: FLAME RED
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:27
letsjet is on a distinguished road

Sure sounds like an improper bleed job doesn't it, air in the lines?
Old 04-01-2013, 10:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

That's what I thought but they have done it 3 times.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:08 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

If it wasn't doing this before you brought it in, then the mechanic that did your brake service probably missed something. If your tech used a vacuum pressure type bleeder, then the front brake metering valve will not have to be held in the open position. BUT, if he used a manual type pump bleeder, then he would have to ensure to hold the front brake metering valve open to properly bleed your front brakes. And guessing you have ABS brakes, the proper order of bleeding is; Master cylinder, rear antilock valve, combination valve, front antilock valve, left rear wheel, right rear wheel, right front wheel, and lastly, your left front wheel. Hope this helps a bit.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

just a crazy guess here
Could it possibly be air in the ABS system ?
the braking systems have 2 places to bleed
the regular system that we had back in the days before ABS, then a 2nd system is the ABS motor & controllers

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/issu...ontentid=59198
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 04-02-2013, 04:10 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: SLT Lonestar Edition
Color: Flame Red
Rep:257
HemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to HemiLonestar Send a message via MSN to HemiLonestar Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar

To properly bleed the ABS you have to hook up the dealer computer (starscan, starmobile, witech).

"Big Red"
2003 Ram 1500 QC Hemi Lonestar Edition (Mods list in profile)
2006 Charger R/T
Sarcasm - it beats killing people
Old 04-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I did question about air in the lines and they (Feeny Dodge) said they did it 3 different times. The one thing that gets me is everytime I bring it in, no matter how bad the pedal, and even if they say they did nothing, I come back to a high, hard pedal that lasts anywhere from a few days to almost 2 weeks. What could they be doing that would cause this? Could something be wrong that's causing me to suck air into the system? I know some brakes are power assist through the power steering pump, are these?
Old 04-02-2013, 11:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Is there another spot in the forum to post this where I might get more suggestions?
Old 04-02-2013, 11:30 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

The Ram Technician section is you sure but.

You need to be a Site Supporter but, believe me, the rewards are so worth it.

Grub out!