DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-02-2013, 11:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Copperhead Pearl/White Gold
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:67
Powerwagon 46 will become famous soon enough
Default 8spd Transmission Availability

I just saw that the MPG rating for the 8spd on a hemi 4X4 is 15-21. I was just about to order a SLT with a V6 and 4X4 which is rated at 16-23 MPG. For the difference in MPG it seems like it makes sense to have a hemi, especially because the Longhorn is then available.

But the question is how long will I have to wait for the 8spd to go off restriction? I am thinking of waiting but sure would like to have an idea for how long. Due to an accident I currently don't have a truck and I really miss not having one.

So does anyone know why the 8spd is not available? Any idea when the issue (whatever it is) will be resolved? My dealer has no clue!

Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 04-03-2013, 12:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Trim Level: Overland
Color: Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:15
RAM. is on a distinguished road

There are a bunch of 8 speed rams at the dealership i work at now.. Some sports and slts. I think they were ordered by customers almost all of them were sold when they came in basicly.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:55 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '13 1500 CC 4x4 HEMI 8spd
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:10
domesticman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerwagon 46 View Post
I just saw that the MPG rating for the 8spd on a hemi 4X4 is 15-21. I was just about to order a SLT with a V6 and 4X4 which is rated at 16-23 MPG. For the difference in MPG it seems like it makes sense to have a hemi, especially because the Longhorn is then available.

But the question is how long will I have to wait for the 8spd to go off restriction? I am thinking of waiting but sure would like to have an idea for how long. Due to an accident I currently don't have a truck and I really miss not having one.

So does anyone know why the 8spd is not available? Any idea when the issue (whatever it is) will be resolved? My dealer has no clue!

Thanks!
I ordered a Sport with Air and the 8-SPD on February 23 and my old man ordered the Longhorn with Air and the 8-SPD as well at the exact same time. All the bells and whistles you could imagine. We were told 4-6 weeks for a waiting period. Realistically it makes sense that things take time especially when you choose virtually every single option BUT, after 5 weeks I am still in D status (VIN assigned and waiting for scheduled production) however, the Longhorn hasn't gotten squat yet.

Moral of the story: Chrysler wasn't prepared for the demand, nor are they organized SO if you want a Longhorn with all the bells and whistles with the main features being a V8 8-SPD with air, you will be waiting my friend.

Apparently there are shortages for both air and the 8-spd because everyone has been ordering trucks with those features. A man can only wait so damn long. This is pure torture now buddy.

Last edited by domesticman; 04-03-2013 at 12:57 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Jonnycat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by domesticman View Post

Moral of the story: Chrysler wasn't prepared for the demand, nor are they organized SO if you want a Longhorn with all the bells and whistles with the main features being a V8 8-SPD with air, you will be waiting my friend.

Apparently there are shortages for both air and the 8-spd because everyone has been ordering trucks with those features. A man can only wait so damn long. This is pure torture now buddy.
New vehicle sales data out today, RAM up 25% which I believe falls inline with demand being higher than expected. I personally was going to pull the trigger and order a Laramie 8Sp Air Susp this past weekend but found out I was SOL. I may just end up waiting for the '14 which might be July, if I read some of the other threads correctly.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:04 AM

Vehicle: 2013 1500, CC/6'4", Hemi/8 spd
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Flame Red
Rep:352
DAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really nice

I've decided to wait for the '14s. If for no other reason, than re-sale. Only a couple of months difference in build dates and when I can order/buy. But when I go to sell this truck in four or five years, a '14 is going to be considered a year newer and worth more than a '13.

And, who knows what small new stuff might come online for the '14s - adaptive cruise or something like that. Maybe the radio bugs will be worked out a little better.

Or maybe, none of the above. Hoping something good will come of waiting though.

- DAA
Old 04-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:11
opramsport is on a distinguished road

I just ordered a Hemi 8 speed over the weekend. My dealer told me that certain dealers were restricted from ordering the 8 speed due to limited availability. Not sure how much truth there is to that, but check around and someone should be able to order you one.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Copperhead Pearl/White Gold
Rep:67
Powerwagon 46 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by opramsport View Post
I just ordered a Hemi 8 speed over the weekend. My dealer told me that certain dealers were restricted from ordering the 8 speed due to limited availability. Not sure how much truth there is to that, but check around and someone should be able to order you one.
I just got a call from my dealer yesterday that as of now the 8 speed/Hemi combo has been released from restriction for sold orders only. If the air suspension is available I may be placing an order soon!
Old 04-04-2013, 12:02 PM

Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Prairie Pearl
Rep:20
joelweb is on a distinguished road

Great news. I'm checking with my dealer on this.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:23 PM

Vehicle: 1993 Dakota
Engine: 1992-1991 239ci (3.9L) Magnum V6 180hp
Rep:11
GuyGene is on a distinguished road

I stopped by my local dealer in GA on Sunday when they were closed so no salesman would bother me, and I saw a few hemi 8 speeds. And, MAN, I liked about every truck I saw!! Only thing keeping me from one is the little matter of lucres.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4
Trim Level: Bighorn
Scott1k is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerwagon 46 View Post
I just got a call from my dealer yesterday that as of now the 8 speed/Hemi combo has been released from restriction for sold orders only. If the air suspension is available I may be placing an order soon!
I'm getting really confused and frustrated about availability. I'm about to place an order if we can reach a deal. On Tuesday my dealer checked with Chrysler and was told they would accept the order. We were still working out some details. Today they were told "no" and that no more 2013s would be built with the 8 speed. Obviously the post above says different.