DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-10-2014, 02:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Sport Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Cool Water Blue
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
wvu is on a distinguished road
Exclamation HID's - Driver side quit working

I've had a set of Retro-Solution's HID's on my 2011 Ram Sport for about 3 years. Recently my driver side low beam changed to a yellowish color(for about a week), then last week it went off and won't turn back on.

I plan to switch the ballasts(left and right) and see if the ballast is in "fail safe-mode" (to prevent any further damage) or bad. I've emailed them and they suggested that I test the ground, then test the ballasts to isolate the problem. I've checked the ground and it seems to be ok.

Any other ideas? Thanks for your help!
Sponsored links
Old 01-11-2014, 07:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 13 1500 Laramie Crew 6'4
Trim Level: Laramie 8Speed 4x4
Color: True Pearl Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:68
Cookie Monster will become famous soon enough

Mine did the same (sort of) the drivers side would come on for about 1-5 mins then eventually only for 10-20sec then finally just a flicker. today I tested the drivers side bulb on passenger side and it was fine. then I tested passenger side ballast on driver side and it was fine. then tested driver side ballast on passenger side and no go. this determined it was the ballast. one finial check I did was connect driver side ballast to driver side bulb which I know worked fine on passenger side. Then connected it directly to the battery and same thing just a flicker.

After checking out Retro-Solution's warranty form I proceeded to see what shipping via Fedex or UPS would cost and it was $50-$75 to ship it to them. I decided that for that money I would just purchase a new ballast @$47 + shipping. after figuring it would take at least 2 weeks before getting the warranty replacement if they even do it and not say it isn't covered. As All I need is to get pulled over and get a ticket for a headlight being out.

I decided to just buy a new ballast kit with two new ballasts and keep the other one as a spare.

Though because yours is more yellowish rather then not working it could be a bulb issue so try flipping bulbs left to right if yellowish bulb follows then its the bulb if not it is the ballast not producing enough high voltage for the bulb.

BTW I had my retro-solution kit installed on my 2013 RAM for about 7 months. the problem arise just after having about a week of -40C temps including freezing rain. I do notice corrosion at the bottom of the pos. terminal of the ballast even with dielectric paste on the connector. so it may seem mine got moister in the ballast. that or it went bellow its operating temps which states -40C

You may want to inspect your wiring and connectors for this sign as well.

Last edited by Cookie Monster; 01-11-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Sport Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Cool Water Blue
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
wvu is on a distinguished road
Default Tested bulbs and ballasts today

Today I did done some testing and believe I have isolated the problem down to the bulb.

First, I switched the ballasts from driver side to passenger. When I did this, the passenger side continued to work and the drive side did not(same as before). Next, I switched the actual headlight assemblies. In that case the driver side(now on the passenger side) did not work but the passenger side(now on the driver side did). Finally, I switched the ballasts again, so the ballasts were back to where they started and the headlight assemblies were switched. In this case, the same bulb (from the driver side, now on the passenger side continued to not work).

I did notice that the bad bulb usually gives one or two very light flickers when first turned on, then goes out.

I've emailed my results to retro solutions hoping the bulb is going to be covered by their warranty.